Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Omnipants' Artwork (Updated! 10/02 - Fox Child & Sketch)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Commando Omnipants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:04 pm

Omni's Simply a Mentee

Hey. Don't be afraid to point out a flaw, but please don't be a jerk about it. Ha. Not that any of you would. Hopefully.

I draw as a hobby, but I'd still like to be good at it. I mean . . . I'd like to be able to show my work to people and be proud, ya' know?

I've probably been drawing/doodling since . . . I was 11 . . . ? (So that'd be about 8 years as of August '09.) I became lackadaisical with it for a period and just extremely lazy and apathetic in general for a portion of my life. Started trying to improve about a year ago now, and I at least see some improvement in my work.

I like vector work, CG work, and really good pencil/pen work . . . though I mostly work with vector as of now.

This is my deviantart account. Feel free to take a look. Though, that's mostly my later work. (Except the Tumnus one . . . I just think I did a good job on that one.)

As far as things I need help with . . . off the top of my head:
- anatomy
- perspective
- clothing folds
- techniques in general (I'll have to check out the thread for that soon.)
- shading
- CG

. . . and that's just off the top of my head. I listed them in order of importance to me. And I really hope that I improve via use of this guild/thread.

*I'll try to have the date of the last artwork posted in the title at all times.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:11 pm

Now, on this piece: [KAIL]

I'd like a critique.
(Even though I can't fix flaws right now . . . due to technical difficulties with my operating program.)

I already know I need to fix:
- his stiffness
- the luster/shininess of his coat
- his nose
- the line-thickness in his hair's outline (?)
- a weird line on his scythe
- the shading in general
- his hands
- his coat, it's not right (a design feature, it's only zipped to about a little under the chain, then it's unzipped . . . I also need to add another clasp or grabby-thing for the zipper there.)
- the lighting in general
- the lack of a background (?)

*(?) indicates that I'm not sure if it really needs to be fixed. I'm on the fence about it.

Breakdown:
- I've gotten a TON better at not making my people look so stiff. And this picture's not supposed to be too action-havy. Just him standing there, sort of a reference piece for the heck of it. But it still needs to look a little more natural.

- I don't really know any techniques to make his coat look like leather, so that'd be appreciated.

- I'm not sure what to do with his nose. I'm not very good at them, I've come to notice. And I've also come to notice that if they don't look just right, the face can be completely thrown off.

- I can fix the thickness of lines on his head fine. Same with the line on the scythe.

- I do need help with techniques on shading/highlighting in vector.

- I need help with hands/anatomy in general. T nT

- I just have to fix his coat. It also has a robe-type-thing under the coat that will have zippers on it as well.

- I have yet to try my hand at doing backgrounds. Though I'm expecting failure. Ha. Either way, though, some input there couldn't hurt.

. . . And then just whatever else I may have missed.

Commando Omnipants

purdoy25

Sparkly Noob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:59 am

your main issue is anatomy. It just looks all too awkward.

I redlined your art if you don't mind:
User Image

*the arms are too long therefore I elongated the whole body, which also justifies how big the head is.
*I rotated the whole picture to the left since he looks like he's falling backward.
*are those wings behind them? I can barely make it out.
*the hands are not correctly aligned and are drawn very awkwardly.

too many obvious flaws. I suggest you practice MOOOOARRR on anatomy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:38 am

Yeah. I do agree on the anatomy business. Not sure about the length of the arms, my mind tells me they're about right, but seeing as I do agree the redline looks a ton better, and I made lots of other mistakes, I'm gonna go ahead and assume I'm wrong here.

And yeah. They're supposed to be wings, I tried messing around with the anatomy with them. My main problem with them, is the feathers.

Hands, I'm terrible at.

Oh, and thanks for the input/redlines. It helps a lot.

Any tips on a good way to learn anatomy? Particular books/techniques?

(I've downloaded the SAI trial, which can luckily open Photoshop documents, . . . CS4 trial was taking too long to download for me.)

Commando Omnipants

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:14 pm

there are a few tutorials on the tutorial section. if you want a book there are a few really good ones. but pretty much anything for the artist should do fine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Commando Omnipants
Yeah. I do agree on the anatomy business. Not sure about the length of the arms, my mind tells me they're about right, but seeing as I do agree the redline looks a ton better, and I made lots of other mistakes, I'm gonna go ahead and assume I'm wrong here.

And yeah. They're supposed to be wings, I tried messing around with the anatomy with them. My main problem with them, is the feathers.

Hands, I'm terrible at.

Oh, and thanks for the input/redlines. It helps a lot.

Any tips on a good way to learn anatomy? Particular books/techniques?

(I've downloaded the SAI trial, which can luckily open Photoshop documents, . . . CS4 trial was taking too long to download for me.)

Yesyes, learn anatomy blaugh

The only site I know of where u can learn anatomy is posemaniacs. I hope it helps. Though, they only offer anatomy of real people which is quite different from anime anatomy, but heck, you must first learn how to draw people so that you can apply what you've learned in your anime drawings so that you will avoid the very obvious mistakes that I've pointed out earlier.

SAI is awesome~ I use SAI and Photoshop CS3 when drawing.

purdoy25

Sparkly Noob

Commando Omnipants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:03 am

I have a somewhat decent knowledge of anatomy, it's just useless if I can't apply it when drawing. xP

I can usually spot the flaws. (Oh, and I think the arms looked too long 'cause the hands were so small. I realized that. Instead of making the hands longer from the base, I think it could've been moved up from the fingertips . . . if that makes sense. But that wouldn't have justified the largeness of the head . . . I think I just draw heads big. Ha.)

Oh, but I've started this one over from scratch. It was too confusing to try to go back through the layers and re-do it in a new program. So I've got a tutorial up to help me with some of SAI's functions, and I've re-done the picture on paper. (Just need to add the wings right now.)

And after this, I'll probably draw a creature or two and then start on those anatomy sketches from that site that was posted. (Figured I'd take a break from drawing human figures a bit before I started on lots of anatomy business.)

A neat thing I just noticed about fingers, is how they indent or bend out at the tip when drawn . . . I notice that makes them look a lot more reasonable and not-flat.

Um . . . still having trouble with folds in the clothing a bit. Hoping accenting them and making some more prominent will make it look more reasonable . . .

Anatomy looks a bit better on this version. Hoping it turns out well.

/update
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:24 pm

Hmmhmm

what I can say is that u neeeeed to practice moaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr... XD

I used to draw like 50 doodle sketches a day. Now that I'm quite confident with my skills, I don't do it alot anymore. lol

Also, you should always draw BODIES. I made a mistake of always drawing headshots before and I found out I sucked BIGTIME when drawing bodies. That's when I started to sketch and sketch bodies. XD

You just won't get better overnight~ It takes time (took me like 15 years since I was 3years old! lol). You might only notice the improvement after a few months of doodles sweatdrop

purdoy25

Sparkly Noob

Commando Omnipants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:24 am

Edit; I'll make this an official update now. :3

Yeah. I got stuck on doing headshots, but lately, I've been trying to do fullbody . . . just 'cause I am not good at it.

Well, thanks for the tip. I'll keep practicing. :3

Oh, and here's the line-art for the re-do. SAI is great for doing lines. <3
And if any of you know how to remove the white background using SAI, I'd like to know how to do that. (If possible, I mean.)

User Image

Note:
- Scythe's pole needs to be fixed, it's crooked.
- Show/define more parts of the wing.
- Add littler details.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:40 am

User Image User Image
(Well, first of all . . . sorry about the jpeg quality. I gotta head in to work in a bit, or I'd re-save/upload it . . . butchea.) That's going to be a swallow eventually. Very basic business down. I know the swallow's off . . . if you have any suggestions on that, I'd be oh-so-happy.

He's sort of short. He's a child, and all. And tips on digital painting/more cute techniques for blush than just blur, that'd be awesome . . .

Other than that, critique away. Obviously not too strict on the colors yet.

And also, there's a sketch that I seem to be unable to understand. I attempted it because of actual character contact and a bit different pose than the "I'm standing here" pose. (I use those for character references . . . and I like making characters. Though that's partially an excuse, if I was better at the other, I'd draw it more.) But yes . . . Help is wanted.
I have no idea why it's not working, though.

Commando Omnipants

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff