Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Garth Nix Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:56 pm
I am surprised that no one has put Garth Nix up yet.... surprised his books....so...freaking...wonderful...  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:03 pm
You're right! They ARE wonderful! I've read the first 3 Keys to the Kingdom, and am in the middle of the Old Kingdom Trilogy at the moment, i love his originality, the worlds he creates are so detailed and believable.  

Cassandra_the_Prophetess

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:29 am
Yes, yet another series that graces the shelves of my collection. I've been enamored with Nix since I struggled to get his books at the library in High School.

I haven't read the Keys series yet, but his Abhorsen series is one of my all time favorites. I also really enjoyed the 7 tower series, his writing is enthralling.

Nix is a master of imagery, there aren't that many authors that can paint a picture with words as well as he can. And it's not hard to get attatched to his characters, I love Sabriel. He's also great with unusual sorts of magic, not many books touch on necromancy, and charter magic is also fascenating. I really love his color magic in the 7 tower series, using different colors in the spectrum to do different sorts of magic, I thought that was really cool.

So, how's the Keys series? I've been trying to decide if I should try them.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:21 pm
Oh, yeah.... I've been meaning to re-read Lirael for months. n.n" I keep getting sidetracked. Stupid new books. Anyways, yeah, I love the Abhorsen trilogy. One of my all-time favorites. I also tried reading Shade's Children and the first book in the Seven Towers series. I couldn't find the rest of that series. Stupid library. I think Lirael was my favorite book that I've read by Garth Nix. Sabriel was good, and I loved Abhorsen, but I always liked Lirael more.  

NightIntent
Captain

argenteuspardus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:47 am
Completely agreeing with your opinion of Garth Nix! The only books of his that I've read thus far are the Seventh Tower series and the Abhorsen trilogy. But they remain definite fantasy favorites, and books that I hope to read them again when I have the time. Garth Nix is amazing xd !  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:51 pm
Garth Nix is one of my all-time favourites! I've read all of The Old Kingdom Trilogy, the first three of Keys to the Kingdom (which I loved, FaeDreamer - you should definitely try them!), Shade's Children (wasn't too keen on it, but it was good) and his short story compilation, Across the Wall and other Stories.

I want to read the Seventh Tower series but can't find the books.

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200

angelic5252

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:49 pm
i liked sabriel and Shade's Children! there both really good! i haven't read any of his other books though!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:09 pm
I enjoyed Sabriel and Lirael, but I never got into Abhorsen. I think that's because I tried to read when I hadn't read Lirael in quite a while, so I couldn't just pick up where it left off.

I also tried reading another one of his books... one with Monday in the title. It was interesting, but I just couldn't get into it. confused  

binaryfaerie

Sparkly Fairy

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:36 am
|~*^.[Jay].^*~|

"Mister Monday", you mean? Well worth reading, as the rest of the series-so-far is excellent. I loved it very muchly - Arthur is a very realistic hero and Suzy is a great character.

|~*^.[Shadow was here].^*~|

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:07 am
I never really cared for The Seventh Tower. Abhorsen I loved.  

Claudia de Lenfent

Hiitachin Kaoru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:38 pm
NightIntent
Oh, yeah.... I've been meaning to re-read Lirael for months. n.n" I keep getting sidetracked. Stupid new books. Anyways, yeah, I love the Abhorsen trilogy. One of my all-time favorites. I also tried reading Shade's Children and the first book in the Seven Towers series. I couldn't find the rest of that series. Stupid library. I think Lirael was my favorite book that I've read by Garth Nix. Sabriel was good, and I loved Abhorsen, but I always liked Lirael more.

The only book I've read by Garth Nix are Abhorsen trilogy. Lirael is my favorite too! I read it in one day once. (Apparently I had too much time on my hands.) I'm considering buying Across the Wall. Anybody know if its any good?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:08 pm
hiyah...ever read Mister Monday?  

territerri

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:04 am
kithlyn
NightIntent

The only book I've read by Garth Nix are Abhorsen trilogy. Lirael is my favorite too! I read it in one day once. (Apparently I had too much time on my hands.) I'm considering buying Across the Wall. Anybody know if its any good?

|~*^.[Jay].^*~|

It's better than good. I loved it.

@trulyblue_girl: Yes. I mentioned it somewhere above. I've read the rest of the series-so-far as well.

|~*^.[Shadow was here].^*~|

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:21 pm
If you haven't read Across The Wall, go read it. Now. It's SO amazing. He has this great range, sci-fi, fantasy, and straight fiction... he's so wonderful. The choose-your-own-adventure story Down To The Scum Quarters is worth the price alone. Plus, if you ever wanted to see just a liiitle more Nicholas Sayre and get closure for him and Lirael ( heart ), then you'll want to read it.  

icarusx

doodlebuggey88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:39 pm
icarusx
If you haven't read Across The Wall, go read it. Now. It's SO amazing. He has this great range, sci-fi, fantasy, and straight fiction... he's so wonderful. The choose-your-own-adventure story Down To The Scum Quarters is worth the price alone. Plus, if you ever wanted to see just a liiitle more Nicholas Sayre and get closure for him and Lirael ( heart ), then you'll want to read it.

I thought Across the Wall was good, but I just wish the story about Nick was longer. I kept on wanting more. I love the Choose your own Adventure thing.

The Abhorsen trilogy is great, I'll re-read parts of it all the time. My sister remembered reading Sabriel when she was 12 or 13 so she gave me that book when I turned that age. She ended up reading it twice before she gave it to me.

The Mister Monday series is very very strange, but I love it. I can't wait until I can read the new book!  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff