Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
I need some advice on summoning Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Michelle_Maxwell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:50 pm
The main entity I wish to summon is my shadow self. I wish to make her awake (for lack of a better word). I've been able to have breif moments of Self awareness with her,but I want to lengthen it.
ANy advice in how to do this?
EDIT: I Meant my anima, but she is linked very much with my shadow self.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:54 pm
It might help to know what tradition of magic you're working with.

I have never heard of the concept of the shadow self.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:59 pm
What do you mean when you say Shadow Self?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:04 pm
maenad nuri
What do you mean when you say Shadow Self?

It is a term used in jungean pyschology
the shadow or "shadow aspect" is a part of the unconscious mind consisting of repressed weaknesses, shortcomings, and instincts
And the anima and animus are the unconscious or true inner self of an individual, as opposed to the persona or outer aspect of the personality.  

Michelle_Maxwell

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:12 pm
I'm not sure that "summoning" is the right word for what you are trying to do. It seems like meditation, or another form of trance work/journeying (even hypnosis), might be more appropriate.

Your "shadow self" is already a part of you, so it's not like you are having to drag it kicking and screaming from another realm. It's more a matter of consciously connecting with it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:33 pm
too2sweet
I'm not sure that "summoning" is the right word for what you are trying to do. It seems like meditation, or another form of trance work/journeying (even hypnosis), might be more appropriate.

Your "shadow self" is already a part of you, so it's not like you are having to drag it kicking and screaming from another realm. It's more a matter of consciously connecting with it.

It isn't the right word.
Though I am still having trouble connecting clearly with both my shadow self and my animus.
I've been able to manifest her to the point where I have two thinking entities in my mind (including myself). I've spoken with her several times and have meet with her in my dreams several times.
My main goal is to bring her into consciousness or further meld my persona with her.  

Michelle_Maxwell

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:03 pm
Why not work from a better psychological model?

I mean, do you have an opinion on Eysenck's criticism of Jung's work?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:14 pm
TeaDidikai
Why not work from a better psychological model?

I mean, do you have an opinion on Eysenck's criticism of Jung's work?

I do not agree with eveything jung believed. Mainly the focus of god in the pyschology. I am merely using terms he coined to describe beings within me. They operate in a slightly different manner as well.  

Michelle_Maxwell

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:40 am
Michelle_Maxwell
the shadow or "shadow aspect" is a part of the unconscious mind consisting of repressed weaknesses, shortcomings, and instincts

This is actually inaccurate, though common in people who haven't studied Jungian thought.

The shadow is whatever about yourself that you don't see.

By definition, if you are aware of it, it is not shadow.

The shadow may be glimpsed in after effects, in the ripples outward from something which cannot be seen - like looking at a lake and seeing ripples but never the fish or rock that caused them.

People who have been to analysis for decades still have a shadow.

Also, a lot of what is in the shadow probably should stay there.

If you're interested in discovering your shadow, however, analysis is the most traditional route. It usually costs about 150$ per session, and many suggest two to three sessions a week to maximize effectiveness.

Michelle_Maxwell
And the anima and animus are the unconscious or true inner self of an individual, as opposed to the persona or outer aspect of the personality.

Actually the anima was Jung's inner conception of the female and he theorized an animus existed, though didn't find much of one in the psyche of women. In modern writings (Marion Woodman, for example) they are treated as the internalizations of the masculine and feminine, which are loaded terms.

I personally struggle with those identifiers in particular because while the gender of some of my inner figures may be important, lumping all the male figures into one pile and the female into another pisses me off.

Also, your personas should be separate form other aspects of your psyche or there wouldn't be a POINT to having different aspects. The persona is meant (as the name implies) to be a mask - a meeting point between the Ego (with or without added Self) and the World At Large. If you make the Ego and the Persona too congruent, you lose the purpose of the Persona, which is to adapt to the World At Large.

As a side note, gods - last place I expected to do Jung 101.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:27 am
Deoridhe
Michelle_Maxwell

This is actually inaccurate, though common in people who haven't studied Jungian thought.

The shadow is whatever about yourself that you don't see.

By definition, if you are aware of it, it is not shadow.

The shadow may be glimpsed in after effects, in the ripples outward from something which cannot be seen - like looking at a lake and seeing ripples but never the fish or rock that caused them.

People who have been to analysis for decades still have a shadow.

Also, a lot of what is in the shadow probably should stay there.

If you're interested in discovering your shadow, however, analysis is the most traditional route. It usually costs about 150$ per session, and many suggest two to three sessions a week to maximize effectiveness.

Michelle_Maxwell

Actually the anima was Jung's inner conception of the female and he theorized an animus existed, though didn't find much of one in the psyche of women. In modern writings (Marion Woodman, for example) they are treated as the internalizations of the masculine and feminine, which are loaded terms.

I personally struggle with those identifiers in particular because while the gender of some of my inner figures may be important, lumping all the male figures into one pile and the female into another pisses me off.

Also, your personas should be separate form other aspects of your psyche or there wouldn't be a POINT to having different aspects. The persona is meant (as the name implies) to be a mask - a meeting point between the Ego (with or without added Self) and the World At Large. If you make the Ego and the Persona too congruent, you lose the purpose of the Persona, which is to adapt to the World At Large.

As a side note, gods - last place I expected to do Jung 101.

I doubt I could ever afford 450 $ a week for a shrink.
But what you seem to be talking about is not what I'm trying to convey.
This entity is I guess an alter ego? She is part of me,but somewhat her on entity. Recently I somewhat melded her with my former self and have become very different as a result. I wish to further bring her into the light as a way of bridgeing to my subconcoius. I Even though this might be merely pyschological I am treating it as spiritual process for greater effect and meaning.
Anyway, any suggestions on how to connect?
am I going to be told wrong guild pretty soon?  

Michelle_Maxwell

IH_Zero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:42 am
I have to ask, are you really prepared for what you might find, if you start digging deep? The subconscious can be a very frightening thing.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:32 pm
Michelle_Maxwell

Then why are you trying to misapply Jungian psychological terms?

Quote:
...I Even though this might be merely pyschological I am treating it as spiritual process for greater effect and meaning.
If it induces delusion, why is this a good thing?

Quote:
Not enough information. If all this is is a psychological construct, then why do you need to actually contact it? Like Deo suggested, if it's a persona, integration defeats the design. If it is merely a psychological construct you are projecting your expectations for individuality and secrecy onto, you might as well drop the construct and start journaling, or actually pay a professional.

But really, the best money is on Pay The Professional.

Your head isn't a toy.

Quote:
am I going to be told wrong guild pretty soon?
Not likely.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:25 am
Michelle_Maxwell

I realize that. I'm educating you on Jung and Jungian psychology. Somewhat Ironically, I've been an on again/off again scholar in this area for ...awhile now. I'm particularly fond of Michael Conforti's representations of archetypes as fields, for example, if not some of his professional choices. Marion Woodman is another good source, though she engages in some culture mutilation and unfortunately uses the g~ slur. Hillman is a good source for the polytheistic approach to Jungian psychology, which I appreciate a lot.

Michelle_Maxwell
This entity is I guess an alter ego? She is part of me,but somewhat her on entity. Recently I somewhat melded her with my former self and have become very different as a result. I wish to further bring her into the light as a way of bridgeing to my subconcoius. I Even though this might be merely pyschological I am treating it as spiritual process for greater effect and meaning.

She is not your shadow, then. She is an alter ego you have broken off from yourself for some reason and now wish to reconnect with.

Also, part of the point of it being the SUBconscious is that it is not conscious. Same with UNconscious. Like the shadow, it ceases to be what it was once it reaches consciousness or awareness.

This is not an easy concept for most people. We have a craving, a desire, to find meaning and awareness for all parts of ourselves. One of the ultimate ironies of analysis is that one thing which ends up being accepted is that you cannot know all of yourself; there will always be new caverns and discoveries.

Michelle_Maxwell

Figure out how you disconnected from yourself, then reverse it. That being said, you might want to start with why you're invested in separating out bits of yourself. There might be a good purpose there and reintegration could be traumatizing or dangerous.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:13 pm
Deoridhe
Marion Woodman is another good source, though she engages in some culture mutilation and unfortunately uses the g~ slur.
Do I even want to know?

Quote:
We have a craving, a desire, to find meaning and awareness for all parts of ourselves.
We do? confused  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas