Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
So many questions... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Australian Igloo

Shirtless Bloodsucker

7,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:14 pm
Hi, i'm Charlie.
Recently i was given a necklace, by a close friend, it has a pentagram on it.
I know what it measns and represents (thank you wikipedia)
But it got me curious about Wicca. Since he himslef admitted to being a Wiccan when he was younger.
What is it? Is it a religion? Does it believe in one god or many?
How do you become Wiccan? Does it have anything to do with astral rojection?

I know the last one is a bit odd, but i would love to know how to astral project. What is a projection's limit. I am located in the UK and was wondering if it is possible for someone to project themselves as far as Beijing?

Is Wicca a belief in magic? And if so, what is magic?
Do psychics exist? And if so, can i become one?

I know these are a lot of questions, and i am probably not the first 'noob' to ask you guys this, but if you could answer i would be so grateful.

Oh...and whats a fluff????  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:38 pm
Union Pink
Hi, i'm Charlie.
But it got me curious about Wicca. Since he himslef admitted to being a Wiccan when he was younger.

How "young" are we talking here?
Quote:

It is a religion.
It is dithestic (two deities)
Quote:

One is initiated into a coven that can trace its initiatory lineage back to Gerald Gardner.

Quote:
I know the last one is a bit odd, but i would love to know how to astral project. What is a projection's limit. I am located in the UK and was wondering if it is possible for someone to project themselves as far as Beijing?

I'll defer this to someone else as I have no idea.

Quote:
Is Wicca a belief in magic?

Wicca is more than just believing in magic.
Quote:
And if so, what is magic?

Whew you'll get a good discussion out of this!
Quote:

Yes.
You can probably try to develop any psychic abilities you may have.

Quote:
I know these are a lot of questions, and i am probably not the first 'noob' to ask you guys this, but if you could answer i would be so grateful.

Hey it's okay! Questions are good! How else do you expect to learn if you don't ask?
wink .

Quote:

A fluffy bunny is someone who, when shown proof from source texts and other reputable sources, declares them wrong and remains willfully ignorant.
Note there is a difference between simply not knowing something vs. having something shown to you numerous times and still ignoring it 3nodding .  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:41 pm
Along with all of what Violet said, there is a HUGE thread called the Wiccan FAQ, and it says it all. With lots of citations and extra goodies.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:46 pm
Union Pink
Hi, i'm Charlie.

He's probably not Wiccan, but claims to be of the Wica because he read it somewhere. In most cases, Wiccans are just ecclectic witches, who mistakenly take upon the title of Wiccan without realizing the connotations of doing so.

Quote:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22819829

Quote:

It may be possible... but look up on the back-story to Mastodon's latest album, Crack The Skye, which is also another very real possibility.

Quote:
Is Wicca a belief in magic?

Wicca encompasses more than a belief in magic.

Quote:
And if so, what is magic?

The science and art of causing change in conformity with will. Magic isn't capable of violating the physical laws of the universe, but it is possible to cause any change in anything that would be possible by nature.

Quote:

Read up on Carl Jung, and Robert Anton Wilson's "Prometheus Rising."

Quote:

People who believe ridiculous ideas because a book told them to. People who don't rationally think out their beliefs, refuse to change them, take titles without earning them (like Wiccan,) Mr. Darks, et cetera.  

Nattfodd

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:06 pm
Union Pink
I'm not impressed with that article. Especially given the lack of commentary on Venus and the like.

Nattfodd

The science and art of causing change in conformity with will. Magic isn't capable of violating the physical laws of the universe, but it is possible to cause any change in anything that would be possible by nature.
Remember your citations Sweets. Not everyone is a Thelemite. wink

Union Pink, Nattfodd's definition of magic is drawn specifically from Crowley's writings and are not universally applicable.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:10 am
Thanks guys, i will make sure to read up on the links you have sent me.

Another set of questions:

What are the benefits of wearing a pentagram necklace?
Does it protect from anything?
Is it a good luck thing?
Does it increase one's ability to use magic?

What i really mean is, i got this necklace as a gift, should i see it as just a gift or are something more?  

Australian Igloo

Shirtless Bloodsucker

7,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Australian Igloo

Shirtless Bloodsucker

7,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:12 am
Also, i am watching a movie called 'The Craft'
So far they have invoked the spirit and things are going a bit wrong.
Was just wondering, is this movie anything to do with Wicca? Or just a Hollywood mock up?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:11 am
I just read this:

'8. The Great Rite - Sex. You heard me. The Great Rite is ritualized sex between a man and a woman, in imitation of the Lord and Lady. People tend to think this is disgusting or wrong, though why they think that is anyone's guess. This act is symbolized by plunging the athame (a dagger) into the chalice, which is occasionally used in place of the real act for a variety of reasons. This alternative is generally refered to as the Great Rite 'in token' - so in a Book of Shadows, you might see something like, "Perform the Great Rite, in truth if possible, or in token." You dig? '

I am gay. So does that mean my kind of sexual intercourse does NOT count as the Great Rite?
Is it sinful to be a gay Wiccan?  

Australian Igloo

Shirtless Bloodsucker

7,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Nattfodd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:27 am
TeaDidikai
Nattfodd

Remember your citations Sweets. Not everyone is a Thelemite. wink

Union Pink, Nattfodd's definition of magic is drawn specifically from Crowley's writings and are not universally applicable.

Sorry! eek

And for the record, I believe the quotation comes from Magick Without Tears. Though I have seen in quoted in proper and improper situations, in a number of new age books.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:32 am
Union Pink
Was just wondering, is this movie anything to do with Wicca? Or just a Hollywood mock up?

Hollywood.

Quote:
'8. The Great Rite - Sex. You heard me. The Great Rite is ritualized sex between a man and a woman, in imitation of the Lord and Lady. People tend to think this is disgusting or wrong, though why they think that is anyone's guess. This act is symbolized by plunging the athame (a dagger) into the chalice, which is occasionally used in place of the real act for a variety of reasons. This alternative is generally refered to as the Great Rite 'in token' - so in a Book of Shadows, you might see something like, "Perform the Great Rite, in truth if possible, or in token." You dig? '

I am gay. So does that mean my kind of sexual intercourse does NOT count as the Great Rite?

If I'm not mistaken, originally, Gardnerian Wicca was not big on homosexuality, but these attitudes have evolved since then... moreso in Alexandrian traditions. That's just what I hear though. Take it as you will.

Quote:

Identification with new age subculture? Extended ability to accessorize?

Quote:
Is it a good luck thing?

Not inherently, no. Though if it was meant to be a talisman or charm of some sort, it may have more significance.

Quote:
What i really mean is, i got this necklace as a gift, should i see it as just a gift or are something more?

Probably just a gift, unless stated otherwise, but that's just my opinion.  

Nattfodd

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:38 am
Union Pink
That completely depends on the tradition. My personal inclination is to say that until it is awaken, consecrated, ~insert tradition specific term here~, it's nothing more than a lump of metal, wood, bone etc.

Quote:
Mosquitoes. ( see above)

Quote:
Is it a good luck thing?
In some traditions.

Quote:
If it does, can I buy it from you?

Snarky Tea aside, you're coming at this from the wrong direction. You have a pretty. The pretty is a pretty until it is something else. Looking for the something else requires context. Usually that context takes the form of a tradition or piece of lore that is applicable to you, personally.

Quote:
Do you have any reason to see it as something other than a pretty?

Union Pink
It has less to do with Wica than I do- which is impressive, since aside from knowing a couple members of the Wica, I stay the hell away from the cult.

Union Pink

Yep. Your type of sex does not count as The Great Rite amongst the Wica. That said, being gay doesn't mean it's impossible to have sex with a woman, and thus it would be possible for you to have your initiation.

Quote:
According to Gardner, yeah. He is often quoted as saying that no homosexual would ever be a Witch.

But who cares? There are other witchcraft religions out there- other pagan religions that don't oppose homosexuality, to say nothing of the fact that most of the Wica I know don't care who your life partner is as long as you're able to follow the Orthopraxy correctly.

Now, you still seem to be confused about what Wica is and isn't.

Wica is a very specific religion. Often, because of the history of the modern pagan movement, and the desire to turn a profit by publishers and authors alike, things that aren't Wica are labeled as such.

Check the Wiccan FAQ, and ask questions.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:49 am
Nattfodd

Sorry! eek

And for the record, I believe the quotation comes from Magick Without Tears. Though I have seen in quoted in proper and improper situations, in a number of new age books.
It appeared in Magick in Theory and Practice first.

Nattfodd
Extended ability to accessorize?
Extended? I always considered it deficient... ninja

I think the ability to accessorize is inversely proportioned to how large the pent is.  

TeaDidikai

Nattfodd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:57 am
TeaDidikai
Nattfodd

Sorry! eek

It appeared in Magick in Theory and Practice first.

I skimmed my copy and couldn't find it right away, so I didn't want to claim something improper. That's what I thought though. :3  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:08 am
Nattfodd

I skimmed my copy and couldn't find it right away, so I didn't want to claim something improper. That's what I thought though. :3
wink No worries. But yeah- Magick in Theory and Practice was the first Crowley book I ever touched.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces