Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
AD: Reasons Why I Don't Accept Critique Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:03 pm
Reasons why I don't accept critique

I think it's important that people read threads like this and see what people have to say. (Please read the whole thread.)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:26 pm
I was really confused at first because it all seemed to be about "let's pick holes in each others arguments and forget what we were actually talking about". but then I actually saw his work for myself and it all became not confusing anymore.

Quote:
"You assume I am self-taught"

Elsiane

5,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Ms Edward

Romantic Genius

10,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:07 pm
Very intersting topic indeed. Something that truly makes you question what is right to do and what is wrong to do. To make you wonder if what you believe is the right way. So many good points from both sides. It's one of those that will never be solved or accepted.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:08 am
GAH >< People like that need slapped upside the head....not to mention total waste of posting, well unless someone is just desperate for attention. I see no other reason for posting your work online except these two reasons, if I'm missing other please enlighten me ^-^

1. To learn from peers how to improve and grow as an artist
2. To get attention and a a bit of a stroke on the ego

this guy is a total hard case...I am just baffled by why someone would prefer hearing
"This is crap, give up on art"
compared to....
"I like this photo, but it would look better if you ....."
It just completely dumbfounds me gonk

On another note:
The rest of the thread is interesting, how it bounces from photographer hard head, to people discussing fantasy.
I came here to improve upon my art, when people want to change my characters from their individual selves and destroy the character's uniqueness, that is where I draw the line....even though I've only been posting one character XD  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Ms Edward

Romantic Genius

10,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:32 am
But see I find photography really hard to critique. Especially when you're placing it online to critique. Once it goes to the computer you can inhance the photo in any old program that is out there. (well besides paint) So when one places that photo on the net your really coming down to critiquing that of the subject matter. Now if the person really didn't do anything to inhance the photo there is a little bit more to critique. When one has so much to choose from in photography to inhance the photo, it becomes a little bit harder to critique it. Thats just my opinion.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:07 pm
Good point, I am a bit of a photographer myself, and there =are still ways you can critique someone, yes there is little to do to the current photo they have, but they can use the advise given on their next shoot.  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:16 pm
I can talk about photos from a design standpoint. Composition is something you can bring up no matter what. From a sketch to a photo, to a photo of a statue you made. You want to present in a way that shows a nice composition.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:30 pm
Errol McGillivray
I can talk about photos from a design standpoint. Composition is something you can bring up no matter what. From a sketch to a photo, to a photo of a statue you made. You want to present in a way that shows a nice composition.

Ahhhh, you see I would never have thought of that! (BTW I like your new avy design Mr. Nurse ^^)  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Ms Edward

Romantic Genius

10,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:07 pm
I believe that thread has been blown way out of proportion. All the man wanted was an opinion from everyone. Not a bashing. I believe that instead of us bashing each other, which that I might have done and Im done with it, needs to really end. We need to get back to the opinions at hand and let him answer us instead of us trying to make him understand.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:51 am
Ms Edward
I believe that thread has been blown way out of proportion. All the man wanted was an opinion from everyone. Not a bashing. I believe that instead of us bashing each other, which that I might have done and Im done with it, needs to really end. We need to get back to the opinions at hand and let him answer us instead of us trying to make him understand.

0is really confused- Oooo...that felt random 0.o  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Ms Edward

Romantic Genius

10,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:53 am
The other thread is what Im talking about. Its slowly being blown out of proportion.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:36 am
I don't Really critique, i give tips.... sweatdrop If it hurts anyone, send me a message. If i 'critique' on your drawing/art, and it hurts you, just tell me and i'll apologize, and trust me, i wont do it again! 3nodding

JustSketch

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:21 pm
Risa Martin
I don't Really critique, i give tips.... sweatdrop If it hurts anyone, send me a message. If i 'critique' on your drawing/art, and it hurts you, just tell me and i'll apologize, and trust me, i wont do it again! 3nodding

But that is what this guild is about dearie ^-^  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:51 pm
I don't think the other thread is very sensible at all. People who flatly "don't accept critique" are basically trying to disguise the fact that they "can't" accept it - ie that their pride is still hurt by it.

The thing is, whether you say you accept it or not, people are still going to give it. The most unartistic, uncultured, uninvolved viewer of your art will have something to say that they didn't like about it. Whether they're interested in your personal attitude towards your art (eg "it's only a hobby, I don't need to improve," etc) is completely beside the point, and most likely they won't be. So whether or not you "do accept critique" is irrelevant.

What happens if, after stating that "I don't accept critique," someone goes and critiques you anyway? What then? You get pissed off and stop doing art? You ignore it, telling yourself "no no no they didn't say that to me my art is fine my art is fine"?

The question is "can you handle critique." In the case of that thread, I think it's quite obvious.  

Elsiane

5,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:50 pm
Elsiane
I don't think the other thread is very sensible at all. People who flatly "don't accept critique" are basically trying to disguise the fact that they "can't" accept it - ie that their pride is still hurt by it.

The thing is, whether you say you accept it or not, people are still going to give it. The most unartistic, uncultured, uninvolved viewer of your art will have something to say that they didn't like about it. Whether they're interested in your personal attitude towards your art (eg "it's only a hobby, I don't need to improve," etc) is completely beside the point, and most likely they won't be. So whether or not you "do accept critique" is irrelevant.

What happens if, after stating that "I don't accept critique," someone goes and critiques you anyway? What then? You get pissed off and stop doing art? You ignore it, telling yourself "no no no they didn't say that to me my art is fine my art is fine"?

The question is "can you handle critique." In the case of that thread, I think it's quite obvious.

YAY for PROPER WORDING!!! lol ^^  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces