Reply Extended Discussion
Where do you fit? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Muted Faith9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:36 pm
As everyone knows, there are a few goth stereotypes, like the people who that all it takes to be goth it to wear black and/or listen to deafening music. Nothing against those people at all, the people who fit that are usually very nice people, or try to hard not to be, Austin was just explaining one view. Anyway, there is also the people who say that it's impossible to be goth because no one from those tribes is left, or because a "true" goth would have shut/hung/stabbed/spontaneous combustioned themselves by now, and again; no offense to any of you at all. You could fit under the dictionary definition other than the germanic tribe, which states that it is how people who enjoy classic 80s music like the Bauhuas, or however you spell it, and prefer to be alone as opposed to with friends or others. So, where do you fit? If you're in this guild you probably consider yourself goth, so what do you define as goth? That or a friend showed you this place and you loved everyone there, like Austin. So anyway everywhere there is a stereotype in someones mind for what's what, and no matter how hard you try to avoid it, the odds that you don't fit in the mindset of one of the people on this planet are pretty bad. This leads into a very interesting quote Austin found a while ago, it is rather long so you don't need to read it, but it is rather interesting...or not , Austin can't seem to find it, but it'll be up whenever he does. So anyway, it mainly says that we have become immune to reality, we are all the puppets of the people who are shaping us, and even the rebels who claim to have a mind of their own have been shaped into the ndividuals they think they are. Austin agrees with this quote on most accounts. Well, that's about it, thanks for bothering.

The spoonfeeding plane:
Has crashed, you can find discussion in there somewhere, if not, get the hell out of extended discussion forums.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:44 pm
A Goth is... someone who finds the beauty in the morbid and the strange.

I totally hate those morons who think it's all 'depression and blood and pink is evil and sunlight sucks'
Bah, to hell with that!

I fit into the loud, morbid, friendly, perky Goth style. I call it 'Fuzzy Goth'.
xd  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

Muted Faith9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:57 pm
XD
Austins friend:"I am secure enough with my masculinity to be called Fluffy"  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:01 pm
i don't know.....i just keep it real..... sweatdrop  

MZ Mule1

Fallen Galaxy

17,190 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Headstrong Believer 50

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:05 pm
Hmm, overall I would have to say that I'm a bit of a miture of everything, but as far as general goth type i would say i"m a bit anti-conformity goth with a bunch of perky thrown it. I suppose that sounds a bit stange to most people, but it's because I've questioned so much in my lifetime, and worked with trying to find answers for myself instead of letting myself simply be spoon fed the same old drivel that I suppose I've found my own way through quite a few different forms of goth.

As for the quote, it is pretty right on some accounts, a lot of people spend so much time trying to fit in with other rebels that they do end up just conforming to the social norms of other rebels.

I'm not sure if That is quite the response you where looking for, but I figured I would take a bit of a crack at it. ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:22 pm
Perky goth with a touch of kitty goth whee heart

And I belive that goth can be many things. Like a chicken leg, it has many parts but without all these parts it wouldn't be whole.
I got the chicken leg comparison from my religion teacher exept he was comparing the chicken leg with god xd It was frigging hilarious  

Dearest Darling`

Your Night Surgeon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:16 am
What is goth?

Gee...good question. I don't know, something of a throwback to the whole Bohemian thing, I guess. Goth is very hard to define. After all, there's many flavors of goth.

Renfaire goth/Punk goth/ Skirtboy is where I fit, I guess. The skirtboy is just my obsession with kilts of all kinds, however.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:19 am
Wikipedia.com
Definition: Goth is a modern subculture that first became popular during the early 1980s within the gothic rock scene, a sub-genre of post punk. It is associated with gothic tastes in music and clothing. Styles of dress range from gothic horror, punk, Victorian, fetish, cybergoth, androgyny, and/or lots of black. Since the mid-1990s, styles of music that can be heard in goth venues range from gothic rock, industrial, punk, metal, techno, 1980s dance music, and several others.

Original subculture: By the late 1970s, there were a small number of post punk bands in Britain labeled "gothic". However, it was not until the early 1980s that gothic rock became its own subgenre within post-punk and that followers of these bands started to come together as a distinctly recognisable group or movement. The opening of the Batcave in London's Soho in July 1982 might be seen as marking the emergence of this scene (which had briefly been labeled positive punk by the New Musical Express). As one of the most famous meeting points for early goths, it lent its name to the term "Batcaver", used to describe old-school goths.

Independent of the British scene, the late 1970s and early 1980s saw death rock branch off from American punk. With similar themes and dress, goths and death rockers were sufficiently compatible to more or less merge.

The above quote states many things that are true however, the term "Goth" has various definitions by each individual so to state that the above quote is the right definition would be false even though it does have many points that are true in regards to the history of the subculture and the like.

Personally, "Goth" to me simply means being different than the "sheeple" (for lack of better wording). Striving away from society's views and differing from such group minded people. I consider myself an individual who dares to question religions, beliefs, etc and also have a likeing to such interests deemed to be "strange" and/or "weird" in society's eyes. I also have what I like to call a "dark persona," which is merely a personality that is often viewed as being "morbid," "crazy," and often "anti-social" (which is completely off) or even "evil." If they want to call me a "Goth" then so be it. I of course, have many labels given to me because of the way I dress, talk, where I live, how I was raised, my race/background, my many interests and studies of the occult etc. Yes, labels will be part of society whether we like it or not but I rather be known as "me" and could care less about labels.

Being a "Goth" does not define who I am, merely defines a small portion of it in which is often misunderstood and thus causing me to be ostrasized by society because of something as trivial as being "different."

Lady_Threnody

Intellectual Lunatic

10,075 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

DR490N

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:34 am
i've never really fit anywhere...mostly because i'm a bit of everything...and i have very veried taste in music...j-rock, techo, darkwave, deathrock, punk rock, various forms of metal(so many goddamned subgenres these days that i can't keep track), even a bit of hiphop and some j-pop....my style is my own, though it's mostly black and blue, and personality wise i'm just really different...even as a therian i want no part in whatever little group, as a maybe-vampire i really want no part of that scene...all i really want is to know who i am and what i am...scenes and subgenres are more or less for people who are trying to impress people if you as k me. the only label i have that i'll keep is freak. so yeah....theres my fragmented little thoughts.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:33 am
I'm an old fashioned grunge goth. I still got still got my flannels waiting in the closet for the return of grunge rock.  

darkXmoon

coriander18

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:57 pm
somewhere between a grunge goth and rivet head I'd put myself. xp  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:27 pm
spooky_sez
A Goth is... someone who finds the beauty in the morbid and the strange.

I totally hate those morons who think it's all 'depression and blood and pink is evil and sunlight sucks'
Bah, to hell with that!

I fit into the loud, morbid, friendly, perky Goth style. I call it 'Fuzzy Goth'.
xd
I compleatly agree. Any type of steriotypes are evil. I would fit in...well i don't know. I really can't answer questions about myself, i need others to for me or i feel like i'm cheaking in some way or not being compleatly honest.  

z e t t a i X romance

IQUIT--Love-DD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:18 pm
I don't know what exactly I consider myself..
Yes, I listen to deafening screamo music, but not because I'm trying to fit into a scene. It's actually something that I enjoy. :b
There is beauty in strange and morbid things, I don't know how people can't see it.
gonk
I'm a big fan of sadistic and morbid art. <3
However, at the same time I seem to be very light hearted and perky around my friends, or people of the same stature.
So, label me what you will.. I'm just being myself.
xp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:13 am
coriander18
somewhere between a grunge goth and rivet head I'd put myself. xp

Its you and me babe! When Kurt comes back we can brake out the flannel and bang our heads to we loose to many brain cells. Then wre can fall back and watch the pretty colors.  

darkXmoon

DR490N

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:05 am
eek what...the.....hell?

grunge will never return, i'm afraid. that short lived movement, though it produced some damn good bands, is gone for good.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff