Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
A bit of insight Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:11 pm
SHOCK! I know this is news to everyone in this guild, but I'm a Closeted Armchair Theologian!

You would never be able to guess it from my posts, but I have put a bit of effort into the study of Christendom.

So I got a PM today- and I made a rather lengthy response to it and thought I would share the post here.

I edited out the name because it really doesn't matter.

Quote:
Quote:
At the risk of being very annoying and being slightly terrified of you mrgreen
confused

Quote:
May I ask, what has been your experience with deities that you have come to the conclusion that polytheism is alive and well and not archaic for today?

Polytheism exists merely because there are polytheists. I'll cite Nuri, CuAnnan and Celeblin as proof.

As for my personal experiences with deities, I don't know you well enough to indulge any such request.

I will say that based on the scripture of the Jews and Christians, there isn't a whole lot of support for monotheism aside from some cultural references to world dominion of a ruling class of Chosen People.

For starts, Genesis 1:26 uses the plural form Eloheim.
Then we skip ahead to the creation of YHVH's Children in Genesis 2:7-8.
Go forward further to Genesis 4:16 wherein Cain left YHVH's presence. Clearly this is not possible with an omnipresent deity, but instead is more consistent with a tribal deity or a deity bound to the land.
Genesis 4:17 addresses the fact that a woman from Nod joined with Cain.

This even before we get into Deu 6:14. Judaism and Christendom started as Monolateralist faiths, not monotheistic faiths.

And this is even before we get into the New Testament where it's acknowledged that there are many gods and many lords in 1Cr 8:5.

The authors of these scriptures aren't ones to mince words. There's no suggestion that these deities don't actually exist, merely that 1) The god of Moses isn't found inside physical items (idols) and 2) that there is only one god to be worshiped by those who would lay claim to the spiritual traditions birthed on Mount Sinai.

As for anything being archaic, the notion that any theistic aesthetic is out of date strikes me as silly, it relies on a shallow understanding of what pagan gods are. They are no less individuals than the Abrahamic god is. After all, comparative mythology isn't designed to suggest that the terms in which foreign cultures come to a given understanding is a statement of what those things actually are.

So there you have it.
Top it off with my complete befuddlement as to why anyone would be even remotely afraid of me and you have the summation of my personal reaction.

I'm typically more forthcoming with my own spiritual experiences with people I know. I've only seen this person a couple of times in M&R and my impressions haven't been favorable. Likely because I think they are a troll.

This is of course in contrast with my deep seeded trust issues and my desire to keep that which is sacred to me from being profaned by some dipshit who thinks that if they speak the lingo I'm suddenly going to consider them a Sister or Brother.

To say nothing of the things that are lost in translation. I think one of the reasons Cu and I are as close as we are is because there are some cultural attitudes that, while not the same, lend enough passing familiarity that we don't recoil from each other.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:31 am
Oh. That happens online.

I know people who used to be afraid of me before they got to know me. It was probably my 'You! Stop acting like a ******** idiot! D<' behaviour in this other guild I'm part of.

Apparently, not patting people's hands and going 'there, there' at them equals being intimidating.

And heck, I'm all for you babbling to me about whatever you want. Can't promise most of it'll make sense to me, though.  

Maze

Ethermus Prime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:59 am
You didn't cite me crying ...oh wait...techncily I believe in pirates...does that make me a Piratatheist?and considering what Pirata means....would that make me a Maltheist?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:08 am
TeaDidikai
SHOCK! I know this is news to everyone in this guild, but I'm a Closeted Armchair Theologian!

An lo, I am shocked! eek

Quote:
So there you have it.
Top it off with my complete befuddlement as to why anyone would be even remotely afraid of me and you have the summation of my personal reaction.

To be perfectly honest, I was a little scared of you at first. redface  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:06 am
I was terrified of you burning_eyes Now I'm just nervous sweatdrop ninja sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 am
Wow, my Greek Civ proof calls me God and Tea cites me as a source.

Can my head possibly get any larger?  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:59 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Wow, my Greek Civ proof calls me God and Tea cites me as a source.

Can my head possibly get any larger?

Why, hello there, She-Who-Makes-Chocolate-Taste-Good.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:11 am
TeaDidikai

Top it off with my complete befuddlement as to why anyone would be even remotely afraid of me

It's rather scary finding people on the internet who know so much about a topic you thought you knew well-enough, that just lay waste the very foundations about that subject in a sentence or two. And often coupled with a sudden realization you may or may not have been unconsciously supporting child molesters, or to that effect.

Just saying. It's kinda humbling. sweatdrop  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:27 am
TeaDidikai
This even before we get into Deu 6:14. Judaism and Christendom started as Monolateralist faiths, not monotheistic faiths.
i don't quite understand the concept of monolateralist. is that recognizing multiple deities but only following one?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:38 pm
Pfft, you people who are afraid of Tea amuse me. I'm still more apt think, "Oh dear gods, SHE posted again" since she was an eternal thorn in my ******** side when she first started posting.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:40 pm
maenad nuri
Pfft, you people who are afraid of Tea amuse me. I'm still more apt think, "Oh dear gods, SHE posted again" since she was an eternal thorn in my ******** side when she first started posting.

I was scared when I first came around, not any longer. Now I'm just simply intimidated! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:52 pm
I'm with everyone else who was scared of Tea. I was REALLY afraid of her when I first started poking around the M&R. Now I'm just cautious xd  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:23 pm
I can honestly say that I have never been afraid of anyone in the M&R... Irritated by some, maybe. Admiring of a few, sure. Even attracted to one or two, definitely XD.

But not afraid. What is so scary about regs? o_O

Maze

Apparently, not patting people's hands and going 'there, there' at them equals being intimidating.

I do this a lot and people still apparently find me intimidating. At least judging by the people getting all timid around me or outright telling me they find me intimidating.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:40 am
Recursive Paradox
Maze

I do this a lot and people still apparently find me intimidating. At least judging by the people getting all timid around me or outright telling me they find me intimidating.

Well, I don't know if you've noticed, but you are toting two dangerous-looking guns about. To say nothing of that three-headed dog-smoke at your back.. :9

It might be that people on the internet are generally wary of people who know what they want, who know what they'll stand for, and how much crap they won't allow, since most of the blundering fools on the internet are herde-beasts..

But.. dunno. o: I'm not exactly an expert here. XD  

Maze

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:22 am
saint dreya
i don't quite understand the concept of monolateralist. is that recognizing multiple deities but only following one?
Pretty much. Basically a Monolateralist Christian would say "If Zeus, Thor, Legba etc exist, fine. But I am devoted and bound to honor, worship and pray to Yeshua, The Holy Spirit and the Holy Father alone."

There are similar traditions that say things such as "God the Father is GOD, but there are other divine beings who act on his behalf in mortal affairs and he is removed from us" as well as "I worship God the Father, as well as other deities, but they are not worshiped as equals, nor are they worshiped at the same time."  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff