Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Bindings Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:17 am
I'm willing to bet that just about everyone clicked this topic thinking about some kind of magical way to prevent someone from doing something.

In reality, I was looking into different styles of book binding and wondering how many people handcraft their own books and journals.

If so, do you sanctify the binding procedure?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:03 pm
Actually, I read a fantasy book recently where priest dragons bind their wings, so I thought it might be binding body parts or something like that. sweatdrop

I don't make my own books or journals. I do have a sketchbook turned spell books where there was some sort of sanctification happening.  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Maze

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:55 pm
I tend to buy my books instead of binding them myself. I don't really sanctify them either, though.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:01 pm
I used a variation of a standard Library binding on the latest book I put together.

I've been keeping the English translations of my Baba's journal and my personal notes in dozens of little note books and spiral bound journals and I want to actually write them down on some acid free note paper with a formal linen binding.  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:55 am
TeaDidikai
I'm willing to bet that just about everyone clicked this topic thinking about some kind of magical way to prevent someone from doing something.

Um, I actually assumed it was a thread on one/all of spirit, oath or pact binding  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:04 am
My first impression was actually a very silly one for the context: transgender breast bindings for ftms. o_O  

Recursive Paradox

Maze

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:18 am
XD

I suppose 'rune-binding' was a little less left field, then, compared to that..

What would be the use of sanctifying books? Does it increase the worth of the words inside? Does it mean you can use it when you're doing that.. stuff.. that.. you do with sanctified stuff?

What's the additional value of sanctifying something? Does it become more 'pure' or something?

/uneducated. 8D  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:40 am
I've always thought the idea of binding your own books would be a neat thing to do one day. Granted, I haven't the first clue how, or even what I would deem important enough to bind into a book.  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:27 pm
My grandfather knew how to bind books really well, and he gave me all his bookbinding stuff and how-to books. I haven't used too much of it, but I have a general idea of how to make books, and I watched him bind some things. I can look through the box of stuff and list what it's got if it helps.

Also, Recursive Paradox, I've bound my chest for costumes, and I can't figure out how to keep the bandage from slipping after a couple of hours. It's not all that comfortable, either.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:38 pm
AniMajor

Also, Recursive Paradox, I've bound my chest for costumes, and I can't figure out how to keep the bandage from slipping after a couple of hours. It's not all that comfortable, either.

Ace bandages are usually a pretty poor method for binding. For one, they're bandages, so fastening them down and holding them over your breasts is entirely up to your experiences and skill and even if you're really good at bandage binding, it still won't be as good as a binder or compression vest (or even double layered sports bras)

It's also pretty dangerous because it can put too much pressure on your rib cage and actually risk cracking your sternum or ribs. If you can layer tight sports bras or get your hand on a binder or a compression vest (ideally) you'll have a lot easier time of it.

There will always be a little discomfort (unless you have very small breasts) but the vests are a lot better for it.  

Recursive Paradox

Nines19

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:18 pm
What's the word for people posting things in forums that coincide with events happening in one's daily life?
(And if there isn't any, there should be.)

I've recently become very interested in a method of binding called Coptic binding. It's simple yet complicated to do, if that makes sense. I've tried it with okay results, but I think I did it wrong, and besides that I'm using computer paper, small nails, the front and back covers of a hard cover book I cut off, dental floss, and a needle for plastic canvas work. Not exactly the best tools, especially the dental floss. It stretched in annoying ways and made my fingers kind of sticky. (Hey, I really wanted to try it and I had nothing else. Hopefully I can weasel a couple of bucks out of this week's crappy paycheck for some better stuff.)

I've got lots of cool ideas about what I can do with it, mostly in the ways of (possibly "magical" or "spiritual") journaling and arranging templates or designs on the computer and then printing and binding them in interesting ways.

I could take pictures and show you guys what I made but I warn you that it really looks like s**t besides the actual binding, and like I said, I used floss. ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:24 pm
Recursive Paradox
AniMajor

Ace bandages are usually a pretty poor method for binding. For one, they're bandages, so fastening them down and holding them over your breasts is entirely up to your experiences and skill and even if you're really good at bandage binding, it still won't be as good as a binder or compression vest (or even double layered sports bras)

It's also pretty dangerous because it can put too much pressure on your rib cage and actually risk cracking your sternum or ribs. If you can layer tight sports bras or get your hand on a binder or a compression vest (ideally) you'll have a lot easier time of it.

There will always be a little discomfort (unless you have very small breasts) but the vests are a lot better for it.

I really should get a compression vest, because sports bras just don't work at all. It's just that Ace bandages are so much cheaper.

I've heard of a medical tape way, but I need to look at it again because it's probably much more comfortable, stays better, and is still pretty cheap.

I don't crossplay too often, but most of the crossplay costumes I've done are really layered and hot, so the better I can do the binding, the less I have to worry about it slipping and not being able to fix it.  

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

Maze

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:58 am
Nines19
I've got lots of cool ideas about what I can do with it, mostly in the ways of (possibly "magical" or "spiritual") journaling and arranging templates or designs on the computer and then printing and binding them in interesting ways.

For some reason, this makes me think of the Voynich Manuscript.. XD  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:33 am
Maze
Nines19

After half an hour of reading a Wiki article, I don't know why it made you think of that, but that's awesome.

...I would totally do something like that for fun if I had the time, the resources, and the patience.  

Nines19

Maze

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:57 am
Nines19
Maze
Nines19

After half an hour of reading a Wiki article, I don't know why it made you think of that, but that's awesome.

...I would totally do something like that for fun if I had the time, the resources, and the patience.

I'd explain, but I suck at that, so here. Have a shiny Voynich Manuscript Webpage. biggrin The following bit quoted from here.

Quote:
The Voynich MS is a book or codex which is composed of parchment leaves or folios combined, for the most part of the MS, into standard quires. A standard quire (or gathering) consists of four bifolia which are stacked and folded in the middle to form 8 folios. Each quire is sewn into the codex separately, at the combined fold. The size of a Voynich MS bifolium is about 12 inches wide and 9 inches high.

Each folio (of 6 by 9 inches) has two sides. The front is called recto (abbreviated 'r') and the reverse verso (abbreviated 'v'). Each of these sides is what is usually referred to as a 'page'. Thus, a standard quire has 16 pages. The notation to identify a page in the Voynich MS is the character 'f' (for folio) followed by the folio number, followed by 'r' or 'v', so the first quire starts with pages f1r, f1v, f2r, f2v, f3r, etc, and ends with f7v, f8r, f8v. The pages f1r, f1v, f8r and f8v together form one bifolium. The MS used to have at least 116 folios, and the last page of the MS is indeed f116v.

The Voynich MS once consisted of at least 20 quires, but two of these are now lost. Also, as seen in many medieval codices, a number of quires in the Voynich MS do not consist of the standard 8 folios. What is more unusual is that a relatively large number of bifolia is wider than the standard size. These have additional folds and consequently more than the normal four pages. They are referred to as foldouts. Many foldouts are bifolia with the width of three pages, but some are even four pages wide. Finally, there is one 18 by 18 inch bifolium which also has a horizontal fold.

And that'd be why. XD

Actually, it goes on, but I figured I'd keep it short and sweet.. well.. relatively so, at least..  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff