Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Warhound Titan Scratchbuild: penny-pinching at its finest. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bjs.09-00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:52 pm
Hello all,
^ as per above, I am building a Scratch built titan, using a paper cutout template, and lots and lots of white packing foam.
Plan on using hot glue to get it put together, and using thin cardboard (think soda can container, and/or slightly thicker) to plate the foam base.. Details will be using spare bitz I have, and random tidbits that would work.
i am equipping it with a vulcan Mega bolter and turbolaser. does that sound like a good payload, or should I reconsider my armament?
Pictures of supplies:
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

Any suggestions?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:01 pm
No suggestions.

Just, good luck.

Heh, I have the templates for a warhound on PDF, kinda tempted to give it a shot sometime.  

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200

dustelemental

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:16 pm
good luck looks hard anyway post a picture when your done =D  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:51 pm
dustelemental
good luck looks hard anyway post a picture when your done =D
Ha, post pictures while you're doing it! Work-in-progress updates are loved here.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

bjs.09-00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:50 pm
Now for some size comparison:
User Image
am I too big?
I have a palm span of about six inches.
if so, i may have to just scratch the foam build and go for this paper cutout one, and use can of soda strength cardboard.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:58 pm
Nice.

In my experience, cardboard like those cards tends to curl when it's painted. Have you considered running to a hobby shop like a model train place to see if you can get some sheets of plasticard? It tends to be pretty cheap, and can be cut/snapped to the shape you want, and if you're skilled with a lighter, you can even make good even curved surfaces with it.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

bjs.09-00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:12 pm
Im still roking on getting the plasticard...
can't find anywhere that has it but a 3 hour trip from here.
the cards were in the bag to begin with, i just haven't cleaned it out.
the actual cardboard i will use has the same strength, but is more akin to notecards, or the boxes the minis come in.
I plan to use black spraypaint, in many many thin coats to achieve a nice coat, then finish it with a matte sealer before using my paints.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:17 pm
bjs.09-00
the actual cardboard i will use has the same strength, but is more akin to notecards, or the boxes the minis come in.
I plan to use black spraypaint, in many many thin coats to achieve a nice coat, then finish it with a matte sealer before using my paints.
Alright, but my point remains. Even with spray-primer, you're likely going to find the cardboard warping on you, most annoying thing ever.

Another material that is great for scratch-building is spackling. It's usually available at any Home-depot style store, and it's cheap as anything. You can shape it really easily, and it's moderately light and can be painted.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

bjs.09-00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 pm
DarkElf27
bjs.09-00
Alright, but my point remains. Even with spray-primer, you're likely going to find the cardboard warping on you, most annoying thing ever.

Another material that is great for scratch-building is spackling. It's usually available at any Home-depot style store, and it's cheap as anything. You can shape it really easily, and it's moderately light and can be painted.

I understand what you mean, and I meant not to try and disprove your point, but was trying to say that it wouldn't be easy, but i would much like to get some plasticard/some other modeling components. I will try, and hopefully the mini will be the better for it. I try to not come off as too gruff, hard to convey my joking-type voice with text. perhaps I should use more emoticons. I meant to just state what I have to work with, and you have offered a solution and for that I should be thankful! lol  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:17 am
Am I coming across as argumentative? That wasn't my intention either. sweatdrop  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Necron_Pariah

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:46 pm
i think the scale is about right for the titan. i was wondering though where can you find a plans to home build a Warhound titan?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:17 pm
I found them on this weird, share-your-writings site. forgot the name of it.
I just googled Warhound titan plans, or something along those lines.
Came up with a PDF, and it's fairly lengthy. but if printed right, you can cut out the shapes given and use them as templates for whatever material you are using. sweatdrop
I am considering either scrapping the foam one, and just making a plasticard one, fusing the two together as original planned, or using what I have to make it (thick cardboard and foam).
I consider option 1.  

bjs.09-00

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:34 pm
Only one part of what you said terrifies me and that is putting hot glue to styrofoam. If I'm not mistaken that is.. it'll melt the foam with no mercy. I'd personally say use wood carpenters glue because no matter what material it's used on, that stuff HOLDS. I use it personally for all my terrain and flocking bases, it's a beautiful invention.

Best of luck on your creation, look forward to seeing the end result!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:59 pm
at home depot or lowes they sell sheets of insulation foam (pink) heres whats awesome its sandable! and is very sturdy however there is a down side any type of aerosol paint will eat it like a slow acid and i have yet to find a way to make the reaction stop. but ist roughly $11-$14 dollars a sheet (roughly as large as a peice of plywood). you peel off the protective film layer it with carpenters glue and carve/sand away!  

Necron_Pariah

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:23 pm
Solution: Don't use spray paint. Paint it all by hand.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff