Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
What is "art" to you? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:26 pm
Often times I get in to. . . Heavy-loud and rather obnoxious arguments with friends or teachers that tell me art is not anime, it is not cartoons, it is meant to be taken seriously and to the book.

To a point, I believe art can be a serious thing, but only when the time calls for it.
Like when a person makes fun of a picture, I think thats immature and very stupid and they need to seriously shut up.
But when someone is just doodling something for fun, thats not a serious moment at all!

I believe art is just another word for self-expression and passion.
As if those two words could have a child, art would be it.

If you are doing something you are very passionate about and put your whole heart in to it.
Why can that not be art?

my qualifications for art;
a hobby that manifests its self in to a movement that someone can express inner emotions and thoughts.

It is not the medium that makes the art, it is the artist that makes the art.
I think everyone is an artist, whether they are acting, dancing, writing, even speaking.

Opinions on art to you?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:57 pm
My opinion on art is that art is everywhere. Art is love, art is air, to me its everything. There is a way to bring every single thing, or person, or anything in this world, will be brought back to art. Art is anything and everything.

C u p C a k 3 RainBoWz

Brent Da Supreme Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:15 pm
Art to me? Art to me in the form of imagery is something that uses all the fundamentals of design and color (if applicable) to its advantage to explain the meaning.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:46 am
-distracted by the shiny rainbows-

Oooo... Oh! *cough*

Art to me, is more than just a simple hobby, it is a passion, I cannot go one day without drawing a simple sketch, being able to draw is a gift I am not willing to ever give up. If I cannot manifest my creations as poetry, stories, drawings, or anything in general, I would rather not be alive. Each line is like a heart beat keeping me alive. It is a friend when I am alone, and a massacre when I am frustrated. I can leave reality, or create my own.
Art is not a hobby, it is a part of me.  

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Apprentice-S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:10 pm
Cartoons can be art, I'd have to argue with those people. What made us laugh on the screen of our TV's as children, sometimes cartoons.

In fact, it's a different style then most use. My artist boyfriend goes crazy whenever he draws me fanart, since my main 'face' is a weasel body type from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"

He's an artist who is better with normal anatomy, the toon just took him out of his style.

Art is passion, art is a creation that you spend time on to convey a message, even if the message is as simple as making yourself happy drawing it. Art is creativity, art has many styles, some more popular or over used then others, but it's still different styles.

One would not expect a portrait painter to draw toon, one would not expect a cartoonist to draw the mona lisa.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:35 pm
to me Art is something that people can express with emotion. They show what they are feeling or something that happened in their life by making a picture..sculpture..Enything really. It all takes creativeity or imagination~It Comes from the heart , mind and sole..I dont beleive that art is baced on how good you are...Just that how many things it means to you. O3O

Thats is a good question though

Copic-Kun

Supportive Browser

Karillis

3,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:37 pm
My opinion on art is that you see it everywhere you go. There are many different types of art from pencil and paper to dancing and you can see them in all kinds of different styles. It is a way to let your imagination run wild, express oneself and others, from being inspired. To portray your feelings so that others may feel the same way as well.

Art is a beautiful thing that we can all enjoy. And even though we all might see it in a different way it is there at least for all of us to witness.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:43 pm
To say that cartoons, and by extension, anime, are not art is incorrect. Someone had to learn how to draw and animate those pictures together; it takes skill, and someone had to learn by some book. Arguing that they are not art is just asinine.

Granted, a lot of younger kids have taking to drawing anime in a... less-than-professional manner, for lack of a better term, and likely driven their art teachers and professors crazy with it. Which is probably why the Fine Arts look down on the Commercial Arts. Just generally speaking, mind you, I mean no offense to either side. ^^;

I personally believe in a spectrum of "high" and "low" art. "High" art is what we would consider the fine arts: music, painting, theatre, etc. That is the serious business on the far end of the spectrum. On the other is the "low" art: the doodles, the freestyle music that you'll never record, the skits you and your friends put together for the school talent show, etc. The stuff that is just for fun.
Spread throughout the middle is everything else: Commercial art and fine. How you interpret it all is up to you. But none of them are not art.

That's my two cents. :3  

Eizoryu

Vodou von Prettypants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:39 pm
Oh, hello there, internets!

Art is the skillful and deliberate visual or auditory application of a personal moment, feeling, or memory, which should be arranged in a purposeful manner to speak to its audience.

I did not see you there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:36 am
Art is everything, the breakfast and the sunshine in every mornin
art is the person you love
art is heartbreaking moments
art is the future u see
and art is the moon and stars at night  

lhomg72

Jiyou

4,500 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:21 am
What is art indeed. As any can see everyone has their own opinion of what it can be. Each one is correct, and none is wrong.

Art is the vague portrayal of one's soul, of one's emotions, of one's mind, and prefference. The artist puts themselves in their art. Their skill, their hardships, their growth. Art itself has many categories that everyone can dive into and infd their right fit. Some are even lucky enough to have more than just one. It is a journey for one's life.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:40 am
The hability to create something from nothing or a material into beautiful and full of emotion or idea.  

Blue Feather Wings

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:16 am
Art is any expression of one's opinion, be it drawing, writing, speaking or kicking leaves to express anger. Obviously not all art is good, but good is a matter of opinion anyway.

Each art has technical aspects that one must learn to improve, but they're not vital, depending on what your art means to you. For example, a college-level artist looking to make a living off of art has to learn composition, but the 15 year old anime fangirl? She can if she wants to, but she in no way has to.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:47 pm
Art is anything man-made.

But art should also be aesthetically pleasing so that many people will appreciate it for what it is. heart  

purdoy25

Sparkly Noob

Fonyl

Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:17 am
1. art is personal... though older people do not look at anime as something fantastic because of its big eyes and some lazy drawing. it is their personal opinion about art, and does not goes with younger people who love to draw em.

2. art is beautiful. and mostly it goes with the nature. (its personal).
i personally believe that art is not only the thing u put together, draw or create something to music. look at the nature, how the trees have different shapes and size, bunny with its cute lovely ears which human loves. flowers, the sound of the chirping bird. whistling of the wind. they are not man-art. and its wonderful.

3. art is music, visual, taste, ambience and many more . (moslty everything just look around.)  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff