review: Uniforms and Heraldry of the Empire Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:51 am
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2570020_60040202004_ENEmpHeraldry_873x627.jpg

What? Uniforms and Heraldry of the Empire is first in a new series of books that will cover both Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40.000, serving as a handy guide to uniforms and icons of the faction in question. While I can see the Empire and the Imperial Guard (getting their own soon) getting a guide like this, I can't help but wonder if such a thing would be good to other, less realistic factions and armies.

At first glance: It's a small and thin book with a hard cover. I was expecting something along the lines of a Forge World sized book, not a book slightly smaller than a codex or army book. It does clock in at 72 pages and all are full colour, which is nice.

Contents: A quick introduction, a reminder who the Empire are, what the Empire looks like, who are the State Troops, heraldry 101, banners 101 and finally, each Elector State and major city listed by alphabet. In the back of the book there is also a small section on the less conventional forces of the Empire, such at the Moot, knightly orders and the wizard orders.

In depth: Right off the bat I should add this: Do NOT expect any helpful painting tips from this book, as it is a true background book, not a hobby manual.

Aimed at Empire players who want to go all the way with their army this book helps out with "getting" the uniforms of your regiments right. Granted, there is no real right way with the Empire as anything goes and your regiment can come from any place.

Instead, the book tells you in broad strokes how you could do your regiments by giving examples of the most common units in the army: State Troops, missile troops, artillery crew and captains. Each section has about a dozen uniform examples, about two dozen shield designs and about half a dozen banner designs. Artillery pieces such as cannons and Helstorm rocket batteries are also included, to give an idea how to make these fit in with the rest of the regiment. In some cases these are accompanied by helpful descriptions as to why a cross or laurel wreath is associated with that city or state.

While the actual uniform drawings are of simple design as found in the Empire army book most sections are topped off with splendid art by David Gallagher, a man well known for his codex and army book cover art. These inspiring scenes depict a regiment of renown in the Empire along with a blurb of background, which can serve as inspiration for your own creations.

Final verdict: For the die-hard Empire player and background book collector only. There isn't really all that much new in this book to justify purchase. While the price could've been worse it isn't all that special or new. Indeed, most of this info can be found with proper background sources such as the army book and Black Library line of novels. Personally I enjoy these books, they are heavy on coloured images and low on text, wonderful light reading for the evening or indeed, a handy guide that can quickly and easily be skimmed.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:07 pm
So this isn't like the Osprey books? cry  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:21 pm
Sadly, no. I was hoping for a book that also had some nice in depth background on the Empire's armies, but instead it's more a quick cash in to coincide with the latest Empire releases. Don't get me wrong, I like it and find it fun to read, however I doubt many others will like it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:34 pm
You really need to crop out the white space in your images, mate. Not everyone has 1600x1200 monitors.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:48 pm
DarkElf27
You really need to crop out the white space in your images, mate. Not everyone has 1600x1200 monitors.
A THOUSAND PARDONS. GW does their images like that, not me. I take them directly from their site and just centre them.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:56 pm
Lt. Brookman
Sadly, no. I was hoping for a book that also had some nice in depth background on the Empire's armies, but instead it's more a quick cash in to coincide with the latest Empire releases. Don't get me wrong, I like it and find it fun to read, however I doubt many others will like it.
I think I'll pass this one then, I doubt they'll make these a limited run so I can always pick one up in the future. That Empire army will just have to wait another five odd years. sweatdrop  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:38 am
Your reviews are getting a bit better, maybe a bit lacking in the real criticism but I can't blame you for not using big words and serious terms in a place like this.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:10 am
There's hardly anything to criticise as the book is pretty devoid of everything save for the actual contents as advertised. It's just that expectations have been killed upon release. Things might've looked better if GW has promoted the book a tad more beforehand.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:01 am
GW's propaganda engine hasn't exactly been churning at full speed the last few years. Biggest thing coming up right now is Planetstrike and that's been unveiled last month with a sneak peek that didn't reveal all that much.

Biggest preview has to be that of War of the Ring, which was announced half a year in advance and given quite a lot of pages of previews and designer talk.

It's pretty sad these days. crying  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:18 am
Mac, for your next review you must do old white dwarfs, if you're going to review pointless crap you might as well do those.  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:03 am
That might just bring about pangs of sorrow about how great things used to be back then. crying  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:46 am
not bad, I think this sound like a good buy, I really hope they have a Space Marine one, one with ALL of the Space Marine chapters AND sub. chapters(or is that asking for to much?)  

Shadow_of_Malus

Romantic Fatcat

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:08 pm
There are a thousand chapters. Plus they already have Index Astartes and the Codex Astartes.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:59 am
Lt. Brookman
There are a thousand chapters. Plus they already have Index Astartes and the Codex Astartes.
......so, yes?  

Shadow_of_Malus

Romantic Fatcat

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:13 am
Shadow_of_Malus
Lt. Brookman
......so, yes?
Yes GW will do it, no we don't really need it. As of right now the Space Marines are the most pushed army in 40k so it would be very pleasant to have source material about other factions and races for a bit.  
Review Corner

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff