Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
MeaShayShay's art (Need a bit of help here...) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SageMinto

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:18 pm

Okay then. Hello!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I need a little bit of help on this picture. This is a original character of mine, and I'm wondering what I could have done better on it anatomy wise and such. Also don't worry about the character ion the background if you don't mind, I'll upload the finished portion of her later(this picture was on a my computer long before I finished it).
So what do I need to do?
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:30 pm

Errr, anatomy. Not my strong point, but it's been quiet so I'll try and say something until someone with more brains than I can take over. : D

As far as I can see, the general proportions are okay. Lengths and relative stuff... What to work on now is getting their shape down; how bones are shaped, the shapes that skeletal structures form, and muscle mass. How muscles over lap and where they attach. And that can be done through flipping through good tutorials, reference photos and just sketching and getting used to some of the shapes. Concentrate on getting just parts of the body right before connecting it all together. :3

Also, as for the head, I'm not sure if this is a stylistic thing or not, but it doesn't really adhere to the shape of the skull. But again--that's refering to above, the different shapes and patterns found in anatomy.

With cloth, one would have to study the nature of different fabrics and how they fall and crease. For example, in that dress, the top indicates a thin material (no thickness) while the bottom suggests it's rather thick. There needs to be consistency. The folds are a little unnatural as well. The shoes, at it stands now, look as if they're really thin, as it doesn't really raise from the thickness of the ankles...

WELL, THE ABOVE IS... not all that helpful but... |D;;

Morrosseth

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:39 am

its a cute character

ummm well i guess lets go from top to bottom shall we? (haha that sounds terrible its not along list i promise)

the head is about right it follows the 3 line approach so it works.

i understand she's skinny but her shoulders are slighty off it shouldn't be so flat. there is a muscle there called the trapezes so there should be a incline of some sort.

with the arm that is raised up like that it actually pulls on the breast since it sits right on the pec major.

even with skinny people you should really define the knees and ankles. cause joints never accrue muscle or fat(unless you're realllllllly fat i guess)

but there you go easy as pie and not so bad right?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Thanks you guys! I really appreciate your help! What you guys wrote was nicely detailed and I'll be sure to work more on those areas.
More importantly the wrinkles, shoulders, knees, proportion of the breast and more definition. 3nodding

I really haven't take the time to notice all those things, but since you mentioned it I'm like "NOW i see it! xD"

I have a bit of trouble with the ankle, and foot business. I have the ideas for shoes and things but the way its supposed to to fit into it I have trouble with.

I'll post a recent picture to see if it has improved.
Thanks again!

SageMinto

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:37 pm

awesome can't wait to see it ^_^
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:20 am

Sorry it took me so long to post something. sad
I drew this while I was in the hospital yesterday;
User Image

SageMinto

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:07 pm

oh noes i hope you're okay.

i hate to give you more bad news but i don't like this pic as much as the other one.

the 2 most notable problems is the face/head and the legs.

the face and head don't seem to be going the same way. the face is more of a looking right at me where as the head is at a 3/4 angle. also her left eye is too close to the ear.

the left thigh isn't straight. lastly i don't really get the sense of any anatomy from the leg. no real knees or shins. also the feet have the feeling that they overlap in the 3-d sense

i think with a little work you can turn it around easily

if you have any particular questions let me know.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:07 am

Oh man....D:
Yeah i'll be okay.

I see what your saying though, that's an ongoing problem I have with the face and body going in a different direction.

The legs do look a little weird now that I'll looking closely..and the feet. I'll make sure to work on those details again.

Can you give me a little pointer on the feet?

I have trouble making them look flat..y'know in a realistic sense when their not pointed?

SageMinto

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:53 pm

okay i decided to show you instead of just trying to tell you.

so you know i used colors to represent things
black form/outline
green - toes
red - bones

User Image

haha okay also you may notice i have horrid handwriting
so i labled everything with a number
1-tibia
2-fibula
3-medial malleolus
4-lateral malleolus
5-talus
6-navicular
7 toes and foot bones

okay now that you can see the structure of the front foot. you have to keep in mind that almost everything overlapping in someway. foreshortening is the key here. tbh i can't think of anything other then actually practicing on feet...or shoes!

well i hope that helps let me know if you have anymore questions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:23 am

Your handwriting is okay xD
Thank you, this helps. I'll be back with something else to post.

SageMinto

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:46 pm

sweet.

i'm glad i could help. and i'm looking forward to it
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:17 pm

Finally I make a post! =D
It's not quite done but this is just for now.
User Image

SageMinto

Penlink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:03 pm

So far I like this one outta of all ones you're drawn so far, however, I see some problems .
The first one that I see has to do with the man's bracelet looking flat. So I think if you add some perspective to it, and have the bracelet hang off his wrist then that could help.

Then problem two is the right shoulder, when the arm is angled like that the shoulder will go up; whereas, with the left arm being downward and straight his shoulder will remain relaxed. I also get the feeling this should be the same with the girl, but I'm unsure about that; so hopefully someone else can get that.

Then personally this is just me, the thing that I notice could be that the girl lacks ankles, and even with socks the ankle can be seen somewhat. Unless their tube socks....... then I could be wrong.

One more thing, the right eye needs to more towards the left for both of them. I say this as the right eye is 'way' to close to their ears.

I hope this helps a little. sweatdrop
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:06 pm

I'm gonna post! I'm gonna post! Wait for my critique D:

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:22 am

i'm gonna have to disagree with you pyro arm and shoulders are fairly independent of each in the side to side movement. and besides the arm seems to more pulled then as if of his one volition.

since its more of a wip i won't get into the details

but the pelvis should slant more while in that kind of backwards lean stance

his left leg should be the weight bearing leg and the right should be up on the toes. or if his foot is supposed to be flat it should be similar but with a slighter angle and more lumbar curve
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff