Raining_Stardust

Aged Ladykiller

5,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:33 pm
HAVE YOU SEEN IT?
I MAY SPOIL IT. But I will try to avoid it.

I saw it. Today. (Okay, I wrote that on Thursday the 7th of May. But, anyways...) OH MY GOD.
I FELT SO SAD. POOR SPOCK!

But this plot is so... astounding.
It changes so much.

It changes... nothing?

HAVE YOU SEEN IT?
Do you think they'll restore things back to the way they were?
Paradoxes, anyone?
How about the other series? How do you think they're affected (if at all)?
How would the other series have gone if the original had gone this direction?

Should Abrams have done that?! (I'm not talking about the time travel/alternate universes. I'm talking about some of the other plot points.)

That had no spoilers. I hope. Since it was all very vague. Aaugh. Yeah. No spoilers.

I LOVE THIS MOVIE BY THE WAY.
Not my favorite but it was wonderful.
So don't get me wrong now. xD

WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS?

-yes I have edited this post-  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:26 am
Raining_Stardust
HAVE YOU SEEN IT?
I MAY SPOIL IT. But I will try to avoid it.

I saw it. Today. OH MY GOD.
I FELT SO SAD. POOR SPOCK!

But this plot is so... astounding.
It changes so much.

HAVE YOU SEEN IT?
Do you think they'll restore things back to the way they were?
Paradoxes, anyone?
How about the other series? How do you think they're affected?

Did Abrams have a right to do that?!

That had no spoilers. I hope. Since it was all very vague. Aaugh.

It changes nothing!

It's clearly stated in the movie that it is an alternate reality. The simple fact of Nero coming back and doing what he did changed the proper course of events for the young Kirk & Co.

It's reminiscent of the recent ST book series called Myriad Universes. In those books, a choice as simple as what route to take to work can cause one universe to split into two.

These universes could be vastly different from ours - our Kirk (the Shatner one) could have an Andorian for a First Officer or Kathryn could have joined Chakotay on his Maquis ship for the journey home instead of the other way around.

And BTW - I had no spoilers because it's already been revealed that the plot has time travel elements.

Oh, and I got to see it in IMAX. Sweet!

And I found this article - it's pretty cool.

New 'Trek' crew roams beyond 'hailing frequencies'  

YoukaiLuvr

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Miral Paris

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:51 am
I thought it was entertaining, and sported some pretty astounding special effects, but other than that...

I had a hard time getting past the fact that since it's an alternate universe, the canon of our universe stays the same, and there's really nothing to worry about.

All the characters were insanely, ridiculously, unconventionally non-canon (for the most part), but you know what really ticked me off? *insert name here* and *insert name here's* romantic relationship. (Making out in the transporter room, much? >/) It was so non-canon that it was just plain scary. I know that the whole film takes place in an alternate universe, and plenty of things would be noticeably different, but come on. His character was "destroyed" in a few episodes, and now they just did it again on the big screen. Although, the film takes place while Pike is the captain, and in "The Cage" Spock was oddly emotional, so maybe they were just trying to convey that.

I thought that there could have been a better way to revive and reintroduce Star Trek to a new audience. Why not a DS9 or VOY follow-up?

P.S. I did feel sorry for Spock. Also, this movie marks a rare event: Spock wasn't severely injured physically throughout the story.

I just realized that I spoiled some stuff. DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE NEW MOVIE YET, AS IT CONTAINS SPOILERS.

I couldn't resist. xD  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:50 pm
Okay. I can live with alternate reality canon.
xD Yeah... I totally suck at telling the difference between time travel and alternate realities. GAAH.
Though I don't remember it being explicitly said that it's an alternate reality. I should go rewatch it.
Though that does explain why time travel didn't create horrible causality loops.

But the old Spock is from the original reality then?

OMG. The transporter room scene with *those two*. Lol. I wasn't expecting *those two*.

I really would have liked a DS9 or VOY movie.

Though now I want to see what happens to this crew in the alternate reality.

I think I shouldn't have posted so late at night right after watching it. My brain was fried. My apologies.  

Raining_Stardust

Aged Ladykiller

5,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100

dragonzfearie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:20 pm
I can't decide if I'm supposed to be outraged or excited. I enjoyed the movie, but the commercial was right, it's not old trek. I also felt like a lot of the movie was too nostalgic, like Scotty saying "I'm give'r all she's got" and so fort and so on.

And was it really necessary to add the bit about how this was an alternate time line? I mean I figured that out months ago (I actually was trying to explain it before class one day to a classmate and the teacher walked in while I was explaining how alternate realities meant that if the movie sucked I didn't have to care, that was awkward). It seemed like a metadramatic moment that only served to explain to all the idiots in the theatre that it didn't matter.

Artistically it isn't old trek, but I thought the acting was very good. The characters (and character changes) were very believable.

I liked it.  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:44 pm
I loved it. I felt like it stayed true to every character while still offering a new story. The best part is that both old Trek fans and people who have never seen a single episode can enjoy it. I won't say any more because I don't want to spoil anything, but it is by far (in my opinion) one of the best ST movies ever made.  

Dunedien

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:58 am
Yeah I'm gonna see it on tuesday with my friend. Tuesday is cheap day where I go to see movies.  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:28 am
SuperCrazyChocolate
Yeah I'm gonna see it on tuesday with my friend. Tuesday is cheap day where I go to see movies.

Gotta love Tuesday.=)  

The Angry Therapist

Frogr1701

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:29 pm
Thoughts on the new Star Trek movie: "DAMN that was good!"

I was very skeptical when I first heard about the story but on Friday I went in with a completely open mind and found that I really did like the "changes". I felt it stayed very much faithful to the original series with subtle and obvious things here and there. Sure it had many extreme moments but I thought they were put together well. I really do think it's brought in a whole new wave of fans into the fray.

In white:
The romantic part I was completely fine with. To me it just worked and made sense in a strange and good sort of way.

I won't go into more detail for now, but as long as we're clear that this is a 1 in a billion different universes, it was 100% canon from that universe's perspective. It's another universe to build on and I can't wait to see how many more movies will come out of this.  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:28 pm
When I first started watching this film, I was astounded. Then as the movie kept going, I was getting more and more dissapointed. Events unfolded that were not how the ST Universe was supposed to be. Then it hit me that with what happened changed things. Then I was happy. Also I kind of remember hearing that J.J. Abrahms wanted this to be a tribute to what Rodenberry wanted but something that was his own as well. I think this was good enough to please many Trek faithful and new non-trek initated alike.

I was happy that Start Trek was finally given the budget it deserved as well as good story arc and character acting.

I gave it a 9/10  

vegito61283

Seth Riegan

Feral Storyteller

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:18 pm
Alternate reality or not, it still bothers the living hell out of me.
I guess you can say that while the movie in itself is really great, but as far as a Star Trek movie.... I don't know, I think it was just more so trying to appeal to the people who are not really into Star Trek or are not trekkies. I don't claim to be a trekkie myself but I do happen to like Star Trek since it was what I grew up with.

I am basically bouncing back and forth between having selective amnesia for this movie or just keeping in mind that it's in an alternate universe that parallels the main continuity and therefore doesn't change everything.

When it comes to the acting, I have to say it's impressive. Although Nero.... I don't know, I find him to be rather lame.

.... And when it comes to time travel, what happened to the guys who usually come down on people who do that? You know, like in VOY? You would think they'd appear and lay the smack down on both Nero and older Spock for what they've done.

Pardon any spoilers here, but the relationship between Spock and Uhura was completely left field. Where the hell did this happen? When was it ever hinted that there was a possible relationship between the two in TOS? If anything they could have just brought in Christine Chapel and have that one sided relationship going on with Spock.  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:32 am
I loved it and the casting was PERFECT! (except for 2) lol. They matched personality and appearance!

If you haven't seen it yet, get your a** to the theatre and sit lol Because it was that good!  

DevilsLight

6,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Statustician 100

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:04 am
Well I actually ended up seeing the movie twice, so I think you can guess what my reaction to the movie was xd I enjoyed it immensely. And I feel like this movie really captured the spirit of Star Trek, which is something I always hope for when watching Trek movies. I did notice they went a little crazy with the action and special effects...reminded me of Mass Effect rofl but I don't think it got in the way of the story, so I was cool with it.

Chi-ta
.... And when it comes to time travel, what happened to the guys who usually come down on people who do that? You know, like in VOY? You would think they'd appear and lay the smack down on both Nero and older Spock for what they've done.

Are you talking about the guys from Future's End? From what I saw, they weren't very good at their jobs anyway because they caused the problems they were trying to solve; and they were completely useless except for when Voyager needed to go back into its own time. Man, that episode gave me a headache.  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:44 pm
tis in my oppinion was the best film that has ever been made. JJ is a genious and I applaud him for what he has done. Even my dad loved it and he was around when TOS was originally aired. I only had one teensy problem and that was Chekov's accent. it was a tad to much. Best movie ever and I don't care that Nero and Spock being displaced changes everything. I agree with JJ though. this movie was not a true reboot , in my oppinion in was a ressurection. I can't wait to see the next one.  

Curtis25

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:03 pm
I had just seen the movie, and I thought it was simply wonderful! I can see why imdb.com gave it an 8.6/10 stars. Ever since I saw that movie I can't stop thinking about it. JJ did a wonderful job directing the movie, and every one of the cast did a wonderful job acting it out. I hope the next movie will be just as good!  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff