Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Pika's Art (I needs criticing) UPDATED Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

La Pinkachu

Romantic Lover

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:09 am

Okay I need to improove on Drawing bodies. There so hard for me.

Here Is my current one. I improved a little on the hair but thats it, So can anyone help me on this one.

User Image

I'm going to work on prettying this thread up. ^-^' So Yeah. I'll explain my new plan when I get done.
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:09 am

Ok. There are much that you need work on it.

Things you need to look for when drawing people:

~Balance
~Anatomy

Those I think are your biggest problems right now, others can wait. There are plenty of anatomy problems that it'll be hard to explain it all. What's a good thing to do is go through a few tutorials explaining how to use guidelines to place everything of the body in place and such.

A few of some good tutorials for this are:

http://sashas.deviantart.com/art/mini-anatomy-tutorial-103425507

http://www.bakaneko.com/howto/

http://pandabaka.deviantart.com/art/How-I-draw-char-pose-32796586

[You can search for more online, there are tons you can find through google or on DA.]

Another good thing for anatomy is looking at reference pictures, and once you get the hang of it, you'll remember the differences between the male and female body and, also, you'll remember where the muscular structures are built.

The balance thing is just to remember to draw your characters upright and not tilted to one side. I had that problems and learned to maybe tilt the paper with the way my hand faces. I don't know if that will work for you, but it's a suggestion. Or if you're using a tablet then you can crop your picture to where the character is upright. ? I guess. ^_^ Hope I helped. sweatdrop

iJigyakuteki_Cookie

4,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:56 pm

Quick note on the 'balance' thing - most people draw kinda 'slanted' - on the computer you can do a quick flip of the picture to notice all the irregularities - in real life, looking at it in the mirror or even upside-down will help smile ...

Other than that - if you have trouble drawing bodies, do as neko said and take a look at some tutorials for some general guidelines on bodies, and then maybe try drawing from life (RL or pictures of real people) and apply those rules.... soon it'll be natural and then you can stretch the rules to whatever suits your style :3~

Also just want to point out that we have a list of tutorials in the main forum if you're looking for a place to start !

Good luck!
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:55 pm

neko_ruby
Ok. There are much that you need work on it.

Things you need to look for when drawing people:

~Balance
~Anatomy

Those I think are your biggest problems right now, others can wait. There are plenty of anatomy problems that it'll be hard to explain it all. What's a good thing to do is go through a few tutorials explaining how to use guidelines to place everything of the body in place and such.

A few of some good tutorials for this are:

http://sashas.deviantart.com/art/mini-anatomy-tutorial-103425507

http://www.bakaneko.com/howto/

http://pandabaka.deviantart.com/art/How-I-draw-char-pose-32796586

[You can search for more online, there are tons you can find through google or on DA.]

Another good thing for anatomy is looking at reference pictures, and once you get the hang of it, you'll remember the differences between the male and female body and, also, you'll remember where the muscular structures are built.

The balance thing is just to remember to draw your characters upright and not tilted to one side. I had that problems and learned to maybe tilt the paper with the way my hand faces. I don't know if that will work for you, but it's a suggestion. Or if you're using a tablet then you can crop your picture to where the character is upright. ? I guess. ^_^ Hope I helped. sweatdrop

Thank you so much. This really helps. I will get some practice on it and remeber to show you and mabey you can help me on my other problems.

La Pinkachu

Romantic Lover

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Beta Critic 0

KajinaTheSecond

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:00 pm

T i r a e l

Quick note on the 'balance' thing - most people draw kinda 'slanted' - on the computer you can do a quick flip of the picture to notice all the irregularities - in real life, looking at it in the mirror or even upside-down will help smile ...

I did not know that!! :0
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:21 pm

Aye, cause you're looking at something so long, your mind gets used to the errors...

If you're using Photoshop and you catch these little things while you're doing your rough sketch, you can save a little bit of time by selecting the parts you want to edit and using free-transform. Cheating but... I'm a lazy person. Only for sketches though so you're not starting from scratch~

Morrosseth

KajinaTheSecond

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Oh reeheeheeeaally? Hmm... Well, I'm going to have to try this out the next time something gets crooked.
Usually, if I draw a whole figure standing straight up, I'll cheat by making the horizon slanted too, so that it looks like it's supposed to be at that angle xD
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:20 pm

User Image

I worked on proportion a bit. Not sure if I nailed it though =/

La Pinkachu

Romantic Lover

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Beta Critic 0

KajinaTheSecond

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:32 am

The lower half is pretty spot on, I'd say. I think the neck is too thick and the shoulders are too thin to support it. Also, the breast isn't natural looking. But, you're getting there! It's pretty good :3

I hope this helps a little.

User Image
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:50 am

Ah okay then.Thankies. ^^

La Pinkachu

Romantic Lover

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Beta Critic 0

KajinaTheSecond

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:30 pm

LOL Though there are some mistakes in mine...
BUT YOU GET THE IDEA LOLOL... >_>;;;
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:23 pm

Okay I need help on this. I dun think I git the body rightt. She is supposed to be holding the sunflower.

User Image

La Pinkachu

Romantic Lover

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Beta Critic 0

KajinaTheSecond

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:06 pm

The proportions are off a lot.
Also, it might help to stay with the skeleton thing you drew in blue to get yourself started (I don't ever draw that, but I can tell you that much) The neck is definitely too short and the shoulders are off balance. Also, the limbs are too short for her body.
If you start over and do the circle thing for the whole body first, and then draw over it, it'll come out better. Like, you stopped with the waist but if you had kept going, it might've helped.
I also think that composition wise, it would look better if the sunflower wasn't covering all of the right side of her face. Maybe if it was slanted more to the left, like it was resting on her shoulder; it would be more endearing looking.
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:28 pm

KajinaTheSecond
The proportions are off a lot.
Also, it might help to stay with the skeleton thing you drew in blue to get yourself started (I don't ever draw that, but I can tell you that much) The neck is definitely too short and the shoulders are off balance. Also, the limbs are too short for her body.
If you start over and do the circle thing for the whole body first, and then draw over it, it'll come out better. Like, you stopped with the waist but if you had kept going, it might've helped.
I also think that composition wise, it would look better if the sunflower wasn't covering all of the right side of her face. Maybe if it was slanted more to the left, like it was resting on her shoulder; it would be more endearing looking.

Hmmm Alright then I will try that. Thankyou. Goodness this stuff is hard DX I hope I get it soon.

La Pinkachu

Romantic Lover

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Beta Critic 0
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers