Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Rose Koneko's Power of Random| Did I color this right? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Okay, a quick sum up:

I have no formal training. Anything I've done now was through the power of fiddling or staring intently at tutorials and the things around me. (I have a small army's worth... I adore them, so feel free to throw them at me.) ....And okay, that really softly spoken man on PBS that would paint happy trees gave me a lot of inspiration when I was a kid.

I'm not sure if people prefer thumbnails, or pure links, or just the images, so I'll do what I prefer and if there are any complaints, I'll change it. ^^

I'm looking for constructive help on how to improve, what I should improve, and strengths/weaknesses... what not... or whatever... @.@ Sorry, I'm new to this.

GRRR, my skill seems to come and go. The point that's the most frustrating to me is that when I half a** something... everyone seems to like it. I put a lot of effort into something, it doesn't turn out. >__<

For example? Half assed
User Image
Worked hard on.
User Image
Others -
User Image
(I LOVE doing lips and eyes... and hair... I like the lips the best here. This was my try at perspective.)
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:39 pm

Chibi!

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:42 pm

Two of my WIP -

User Image
User Image
(This is a rough sketch! @.@ The lines will be gone, ignore the craptastic-ness of them.)
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:23 am

Your coloring is amazing I love the shading and wide range of colors. What needs work though is your lines. It seems like your work would look so much better if the outlines were more defined and not all over the place. Like on the last colored one her jaw line has a little crook in it and the swirls look like they should be more rounded, same with the jewel. Her fingers also look a bit long but hands are really difficult. Also the shading of the clothing looks like it could use work. think of how a sleeve would fall then shade the areas not that would be in shadow, her sleeve now looks unrealistic.

CariRae

Griffonage

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:15 pm

Hmm... When you draw hands try to take reference pictures of some kind. Once you figure out how they work in real life you don't have to, but the fingers in those pictures are entirely too... skeletal. It's like there's nothing other than bone on them. I've taken pictures of how the hand poses you have on the two WIPs would be like in real life so you can see what I mean. I have obscenely long fingers, so it should be easy to correlate to your style in your mind.

User Image
User Image

I actually have several pages in my sketchbook just of different hand poses. It's good practice if you're willing to put in the time.
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:23 pm

HANDS. gonk For the LONGEST time I've tried to hide them in any possible way. I knew that also hindered me, so I've slowly tried to work them into my art, so I don't get so lazy about it....

@CariRae - Aaah, good points. I was trying to think of how the light would hit the sleeve, but it kept falling flat. I don't have any sleeves that long, so I've been looking for something to use in the mean time... =/ My lines... Are the results of being lazy mixed with a bit of a shaky hand. (I've never been able to draw a straight line. xD; It's kind of embarrassing.) I see that point, and I think I'll try to do less short cuts, and just zoom in and go slow as possible.

The lineart I've helped my friend have was straighter for our old joint shop, but that was purely because I didn't want to blemish her art rep. =/ I should take as much care for my own.

@Pomato Soup - OOOOOOOOH. Thank you! T___T Your hands are PERFECT. I've a problem with fingers and hands for awhile, but I'll save those pictures and practice adding a bit more meat to the fingers. (xD You would make a great hand model.)

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:30 pm

@pomato: XD... you have beautiful hands (and nails) XD! I have to use my imagination when I use my own hands as references =o=;;

@Rose: your colors are very vibrant, and I especially love the last WIP you're coloring. Be careful to remember that things not only have shadowed parts, but also cast shadows on other objects around them (i.e. hat on hair etc.) Also like Pomato said, it might benefit you to work more from references when you're unsure of something smile .

I would also like to see maybe a wider range of head angles/poses?

hope to see more!
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:00 pm

@.@ I think I might invest in a book with model poses, given the suggestions here. Thank you everyone for being so helpful! (And I plan on sticking around and doing what I can. ^^)

Right... I see what you mean. xD HA, I didn't see that before, THANK YOU. I see in a few images where there should be more defined shadows.

Ugh, yeah. =/ I've noticed I do either full on, or three-quarter poses for the faces. I'm downright awful at profile views, it's something I work on daily but to no avail. The problem I have is the angle of the chin. I never know how to show the chin at a higher angle in relation to the neck. Even when I use model references, I can't seem to get it right... Should I just keep trying?

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:12 pm

>3< of course you should! Although it might help to get a book that goes over rules of proportions for heads/necks/etc. (like... classic drawing books, not how to draw manga). They usually have nice tips on ways to remember where things are etc. :3~
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:15 pm

xD Yeah... I've read around the forum and saw that they didn't appear to be helpful to others. I found them semi-useful in that I didn't know how to use the wire framing-ish sketching, but that's about it. (UGH, I've found SO many people who take poses DIRECTLY from the Monster books, and sometimes even down to what they're wearing. >___<; )

Thanks again~ ^^ And I found the guild through your signature, so doubly thanks. I grabbed a mentor, I'm so excited. *___*

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:55 pm

Great biggrin ... !

But yes - definitely keep practicing, especially when you know you're weak in something, and before you know it, you'll be good at it!

I always thought hands were really hard to draw - but now I kinda enjoy them rofl they're still hard but they give more satisfaction when I get them "right" than if I'm drawing something "easier" xD;;
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:28 pm

No longer a WIP~ >3

User Image
I was trying to practice having a light source that's visible. Usually I just color according to casting shadow and light hints to wherever I wanted... Does it look like the halo is glowing and casting light, or that she's just shiny? xD

@Tirael - Very good point. xD I used to hate coloring hair, but now when it doesn't look quite like a furry animal died on their head (ohgawd, I colored horrible hair) I would get pretty proud of it.

....xD Though practicing various body parts has freaked my son out on a few occasions. ("WHY ARE THERE ONLY HANDS, WHAT HAPPENED TO THEIR BODIES MOM?!")

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

KajinaTheSecond

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:52 pm

Oh, darling! You're coloring skills are so very lovely! :3
But I'm going to agree with the line statement. They are a little wavey. It's because you use a tablet, right? I have that same problem, too. xD it's super smooth, yeah? I've found that the faster I move my hand when I'm drawing, the smoother the lines are. I've also realized that when I don't think about anything when I draw, I just kind of blank out and go with it, the lines are a lot more straight and such. I dunno that could just be me.
But practicing drawing real hands; model your own; and it helps A LOT. It helps so much. I was pretty bad with hands and then when I was a sophomore in high school, my teacher made us just draw our own hands in different positions and after that, hands became so much more easy for me. And they looked better, as well.
It all just takes practice, my dear. :3
But yeah, again... Your coloring technique is amazing. Keep honing that up!!
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:05 am

^^ Thank you~

Ah ha! >.> I do use a tablet, and when I try to go over the sketches for "lineart", I DO go slowly to make sure the lines are where I want them to be. That's really helpful, I'll start poking around Sai to practice that.

Rose Koneko

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200

KajinaTheSecond

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:32 pm

On the latest one I REALLY like the tail. It's perfect!
It looks so smooth and dimensional! :3 Great job!
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff