Submit

alteghost

Shameless Bit

24,075 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Buggin' 500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:37 pm
This is where we ask for help, right? I hope I did this right. I feel like such a noob...

Ok, so. You know how when a character in your story needs to tell a story to another character of events in the past? Like a story within the story? Well, I've gotten to a part like that in a story of mine, and I am having the most difficult time figuring out what format to put the second story in. Any ideas on how I should make him tell the story?

Also, I need a name...think gypsy. A nice, sweet girl gypsy. I suck at names .__.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:13 pm
Well.... I would do it something like this.

Kazu nodded. "Yes... I remeber it well..." He sighed, his mind slowing going back, the sounds and images once again fresh in his mind. He was standing, far above the city, blade in hand, covered in blood....

Basically, I'd do it like that. Or talk like this, to show it's not happening right now

Fujiwara Kazunari
Crew

Generous Lunatic

3,850 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

alteghost

Shameless Bit

24,075 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Buggin' 500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:23 pm
Arakratos
Well.... I would do it something like this.

Kazu nodded. "Yes... I remeber it well..." He sighed, his mind slowing going back, the sounds and images once again fresh in his mind. He was standing, far above the city, blade in hand, covered in blood....

Basically, I'd do it like that. Or talk like this, to show it's not happening right now

Hmmm.....the italicizing could work, but the first idea is well done. That might work. I think I'll do something like that. Yeah, ok I think I got this figured out. Now I just need help with a name....

Thanks^^  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:03 pm
Gypsy names. Hmm. There's Mirela (or Mirella or Myrela), Tesha, Essa, Entha, Virelde, & Imalda. I made them up sweatdrop except for Mirela (an actual gypsy name), so sorry if they're not what you were looking for.  

peterlover14

alteghost

Shameless Bit

24,075 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Buggin' 500
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:12 pm
peterlover14
Gypsy names. Hmm. There's Mirela (or Mirella or Myrela), Tesha, Essa, Entha, Virelde, & Imalda. I made them up sweatdrop except for Mirela (an actual gypsy name), so sorry if they're not what you were looking for.

Those are all very pretty names. Hmm Mirela.....what was that gypsy from? I like that name, but I don't want to feel like I'm stealing it, you know?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:40 pm
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/

It's got a lot of generatos, uncluding a name generator, incase you get really stuck razz

Fujiwara Kazunari
Crew

Generous Lunatic

3,850 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

peterlover14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:51 pm
I found Mirela on a website that had classic gypsy names from the 1800's, so it's not really stealing from anything. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:06 am
Arakratos
http://www.seventhsanctum.com/

It's got a lot of generatos, uncluding a name generator, incase you get really stuck razz

whoa that site is spiffy! thanks very much heart  

alteghost

Shameless Bit

24,075 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Buggin' 500

alteghost

Shameless Bit

24,075 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Buggin' 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 am
peterlover14
I found Mirela on a website that had classic gypsy names from the 1800's, so it's not really stealing from anything. 3nodding

Oooh I see. I'm thinking maybe spelling it like Myrela though. I like that spelling. Thanks for the help! heart  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:27 pm
I read this book one time where the girl was sitting on her porch and she sees the moon and it reminds her of the night when her story is and then it just tells it, it really came out well.  

Tink_Bel

Lonely Creature

16,450 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200

Sam the Morningstar

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:17 pm
You could do it all as a block quote. I'm using English class language here, okay.
You know how when you read a text book and it has a quote thats longer than four lines? It's margins are larger than the rest of the information and the font may be a little smaller. That's how I would do it.

I actually just did this same thing in the script I'm writing. Its a comic book script so I just had to make sure to write everything in the characters tone of voice.  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:43 am
Sam the Morningstar
You could do it all as a block quote. I'm using English class language here, okay.
You know how when you read a text book and it has a quote thats longer than four lines? It's margins are larger than the rest of the information and the font may be a little smaller. That's how I would do it.

I actually just did this same thing in the script I'm writing. Its a comic book script so I just had to make sure to write everything in the characters tone of voice.

Yep I know block quotes. I didn't think of that...I might try that later. I've got this one figured out already, but thanks for the advice. :3  

alteghost

Shameless Bit

24,075 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Buggin' 500

crimson_kanji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:51 am
When you're writing about a character's past, it's important for it to come out naturally. I would suggest implying much of the story throughout your character's actions. Often, your readers will understand the subliminal messages you're trying to send. You also want them to ask the questions for themselves, right?
However, if you come to a point where you HAVE to talk about the "history" directly, you should probably try to incorporate dialogue in an effective manner. When you have two characters, for instance, and one of them is telling them story, use the second one to your advantage! She/he can be "actively listening". That way, they can ask relevant questions, or have specific reactions that act as a sort of trigger to what you're going to write about next.
Anyway, I hope that helps you, and anyone else who's stuck with the same problem.
As for a name: I don't know if you already have one, but here's a suggestion anyway: Haida. It's the name of an aboriginal group in British Columbia, Canada. But I think it makes for a pretty Gypsy name too ! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:02 am
Ok, no one will care, but I have some of a story that I wrote that I would like for you to try and read. I will gladly accept any constructive critism on it. Thank you! : ) 4laugh
Chapter 1
Behind the Brick Wall
I open my eyes to complete darkness. Why would the lights be out at this time of night? Then suddenly the lights came back on, and off, and on, and off again. Then I realized, Nicky. He’s my little brother. He’s sort of like frosting on your nose from eating cake; try to get it off with your tongue, but can’t reach it. It’s annoying! He ran into the kitchen. Well, at least I could get some sleep until I have to get ready for school. Soon, as if right on time, the alarm clock went off. I groaned. I might as well have some breakfast before school. I went toward the refrigerator. My options were: last night’s spaghetti, tuna, 1 week old milk, 5 day old pizza ( yuck, with anchovies!) bell peppers,… AHAH! Toaster strudels! I took one out of the box and put it in the toaster.
I heard my overly dramatic sister banging on the bathroom door, screaming at my mop headed brother to get out of the bathroom. (He does tend to take a long time in the bathroom and all, trying to scope out new armpit hairs; yeah right!) “Max get out of the bathroom already, I’m sure you have plenty enough cologne on. I mean how your girlfriend stands that disgusting stench is completely beyond me!” said my older sister, Rebecca.
“Calm down, I’m almost done!”
“Mom, Max is hogging the bathroom again!” screamed Rebecca. My mom came running from her room like there was some big emergency.
“Can’t you guys think of anything else to do besides terrorize me to death?” Mom seemed angry, because she usually doesn’t start her morning off with threats. Mom walked up to the bathroom door and banged on the door. “Max if you don’t get out of that bathroom!” screamed Mom.
“Rebecca, it doesn’t matter how many times you wash your face, or hide it with makeup, you will never get that ugly off your face!” he snickered. He obviously didn’t know it was Mom. Christina’s (my Mom) face got red with anger. She busted down the door. Mom dragged him from the bathroom.
“Rebecca, get in the bathroom and get ready for school,” barked my Mom. Nicky ran past Christina…, naked. “Max, get your brother dressed, please.”
Yes, this was my typical school morning. I know what you’re thinking; it’s chaotic and crazy right? Well, not all my family is crazy…, err okay, it’s crazy. But my brothers aren’t always running around the house naked!
nk You! : )  

hip-hop04

alteghost

Shameless Bit

24,075 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Buggin' 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:50 pm
crimson_kanji
When you're writing about a character's past, it's important for it to come out naturally. I would suggest implying much of the story throughout your character's actions. Often, your readers will understand the subliminal messages you're trying to send. You also want them to ask the questions for themselves, right?
However, if you come to a point where you HAVE to talk about the "history" directly, you should probably try to incorporate dialogue in an effective manner. When you have two characters, for instance, and one of them is telling them story, use the second one to your advantage! She/he can be "actively listening". That way, they can ask relevant questions, or have specific reactions that act as a sort of trigger to what you're going to write about next.
Anyway, I hope that helps you, and anyone else who's stuck with the same problem.
As for a name: I don't know if you already have one, but here's a suggestion anyway: Haida. It's the name of an aboriginal group in British Columbia, Canada. But I think it makes for a pretty Gypsy name too ! biggrin

Wow! Thanks! That's some good advice. I really like that: Haida. I don't have the name set in stone yet.  
Writing Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff