Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
★materialized's art. - critique please !

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

materialized

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:29 pm

Hello! I just joined this awesome guild looking to improve my drawing abilities. I really need help in things like anatomy and shading. Orz.

My art style is basically manga/anime. I'm trying to break away from drawing huge shojo eyes >< (but apparently, failing).

I shamefully draw the same headshot poses (as that is what people usually order in my shop..) and I tried out a little different pose. Hunched shoulders! Ahaha not much but I'm taking small steps?

User Image

Something doesn't look right neutral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:17 pm

Also, can anyone suggest any good reference tutorials/websites for poses. I fail at that too. x3

materialized

CariRae

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:38 pm

You have a deviantart right? Just look at some of the stock images. Hunched shoulders is an awkward position in real life, so its not surprising that it looks awkward in a drawing. Your shading looks absolutely fine for anime to me. Try drawing different expressions if you don't want to do the same head shot poses. Just changing their expression can change the entire mood of the picture and pick a pose that you think they would be making. You don't have to position them in set poses, like you are taking a picture, just draw what they would naturally be like.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:07 am

thank you so much for the advice. I'll remember that ;D

materialized

Looney-Lola

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:49 pm

Hope this helps, it's my first critique <3

I tried making this pose myself a few times, and had my friend do it, it seems to me when the shoulders hunch forward her breasts should sag down more and her her waist would scrunch up a little, also I noticed both our head went down towards our chests a little to make the pull a little more comfortable.

I really like how you did you're lips and the coloring is very good for the Anime style!

Hope I helped ^_^;
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:58 pm

I agree that the coloring is amazing, but that pose it too awkward. And there are some tiny things that bothered me,

1. The tummy is too small I think. I can't pinpoint the problem but I'm sure it's the proportions , like her hip curves too early.

2.The fold on her sleeve things are unnatural, and I think they would look better it they were more form fitting or at least change the folds to seem a little more fabericky.

3. And I love the proportions of her upper back they are actually quite accurate but when it drops down into her hip the proportions get a little funky. The line drops in too far. I get that girls are supposed to be curvy but I think next time you should try flattening that line a bit.

I hope you didn't mind my marking on your drawing. And the face is beautiful, good job!

User Image

cheerios18

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:27 pm

First off... she's really cute! biggrin

I think the others already covered most of it, but here's some more input:

Her pose DOES look awkared... I think it's mostly when you get to the waist - something about it doesn't follow her shoulders/head. Also I think her boobs are slightly high.

If you're drawing a pose you don't normally do, it's a good idea to look up "hunched shoulders" or something on DA or Google images to get an idea of what it should look like. You could also use your webcam or a mirror to pose and look at yourself if you can't easily find the pose you want online.

Your coloring is pretty good - as far as shading, just keep lighting in mind - you can even draw a little sun in the desired direction to remind yourself.

We have a pretty good list of resources in the main forum - it's one of the stickies. You can use posemaniacs.com for a wide variety of poses, but in the end it's very hard to find a pose to fit what you want - you'll probably have to make adjustments yourself smile ~ (or you can practice different poses enough so that you don't need it biggrin !)

And as far as varying headshots... I've always made an effort to change angles/expression/lighting/compositions... or to emulate different styles for mine smile ... I know it's hard to think of new things when it's just a head xD but believe me, it can be done! biggrin ~

Once again, welcome to the guild! I hope to see more of your art, and enjoy your stay!
~Tirael
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:19 pm

私の中心はあなたのために手を差し伸べる~❀❀❀

My hand Reaches out for you~

I think the shading is fine :3
I wish I could shade like you D:
but the torso is a bit short unless its a small shirt and long skirt o.o;

あなたのは私のために達するか。~❀❀❀

Will Yours reach back for me?

cutefairy012

Dawnne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:57 am

This is my first real critique, so pardon me if I seem too harsh or picky. sweatdrop

First of all, I love the colors that you chose. I love her bluish-gray eyes.
You say you're having a little bit of trouble with shading. I think you are pretty good with shading in all areas except for skin--it pretty much appears to be just one tone. I have this problem a lot, too. >_< They say it's a good idea to mix other colors in while shading so that it looks like more realistic lighting. For example, for this skin tone you might want to add in a very light shade of blue or even purple in the places where the shading should be darkest (underneath the hair, under the chin, etc.). And always keep in mind the light source while shading. You can't have the light going in three different directions--unless that's what you're going for. I have a bad habit of always making the light source come from the upper left side of the page.

As for the pose, it seems like the arms are what's making things look strange. When I first looked at it, I expected her to be holding something, or having her hands behind her back...but they're just at her side.
Most people don't hunch their shoulders for no reason...usually they'll be carrying something heavy or they're holding their hands behind their back in a "cute" pose...but when the shoulders are hunched for no reason, it seems strange.

It also looks like she doesn't have a ribcage. It just goes straight from breast to waist, nothing in between. Try to add a little bit more thickness beneath her breast line.

Also, like cheerios18 said, the folds on the sleeves are a bit unnatural. They seem too baggy or puffy.

The neck and shoulders themselves look really good, though. biggrin

This is just my personal opinion on this...I hope it helps. sweatdrop And keep up the good work. 3nodding
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Thank you thank you everyone so much for your awesome advice. I knew her pose looked awkward, especially around the torso but i couldn't exactly pinpoint it. Thank everyone for helping me see my mistakes.

@Looney-Lola: After reading your crit, I tried hunching my shoulders forward myself and naturally, my head DOES come down. I can't believe I didn't realize that before xD. I guess it helps to actually try DOING the pose you're aiming to draw. thanks for that xD

@cheerios: I don't mind you writing on it at all. I'm a visual person and your redlining really helped ><

@Tirael: Yes, her wait is a big problem. Thank you for pointing that out! : D I'm sureI'll really like it here.

@cutefairy: thank you >< and no, the torso really IS short Orz.

@Dawnne: I see your point. I'll try that thanks ;D Ahh a RIBCAGE. O_O. Your first real critique really did me justice. ^^ Thank you

My tablet recently broke so I'll post more when I get a new one. I'm thinking about Bamboo Fun. Intuos is way too expensive for me D:

materialized

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff