Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
New To Polytheism: Seeking Advice, Please! Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bjornhona

Dapper Swapper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:17 pm
I am new to polytheism, and I am eager to embrace what comes.

With that said, I would like to ask if anybody had any advice for searching for deities. I am interested naturally in my ancestors and their gods; I am under the impression that I will have a lot of choice. I am Greek, Armenian, Irish, and Italian in heritage, and I do not know where and how to begin my search for connection to create a circle of Gods so I can pray and seek advice and guidance. I would like to request a sign; I am eager to discover who has been trying to reach me.

So, here are some questions that I have:
Should I seek a certain pantheon or simply embrace whoever makes their presence known? My instincts are tied between Greek and Celtic, although I had a strong feeling recently of Brighid’s presence when I was meditating…
Is there a ritual for seeking Gods and Goddesses that would be better than meditation?
Should I ask for a sign?
Does anybody have general advice on finding my path and my deities? I am asking from anybody of any branch, from Eclectic to Wiccan to Hellenic to Druidic. I am, as I said in my welcome post*, at a sort of crossroad and I would appreciate any sort of explanation at my disposal so I can make an informed decision where I should go…
Thank you! :] I appreciate any help offered.

*This is my welcome post, by the way!

Quote:
Hello. My name is Sae, and I joined this guild because I have a profound interest in expanding myself spiritually. I have what feels to be infinite curiosity about the pathways in pagan religion; right now I am standing at a metaphysical fork with dozens of directions that I could choose, but I'd like to learn more before pursuing any one way.
I come here in search of guidance. Not so much a tutor, no, but a connection, one with insight and knowledge enough to encourage my choice in direction.

I have a feeling I should better explain myself...
For a long time I have not given myself a religious title, I have simply called myself 'spiritual'. My belief system, as anyone's really should be, is filled with complexity. I believe, very strongly, in reincarnation and soul connection (that is the belief that some souls are bound to one another and have been for ages; what some people may consider kindred spirits or soul mates). I notice spirits and positive/negative energy in objects and places. I meditate daily to balance my chakras, which is very important to me. These things are sacred to me. What I have recently been contemplating is what I used to simply call 'higher power'. I believe we come from this higher power to Earth so we may expand ourselves and reach some sort of personal 'enlightenment', so to speak.
Right now, I feel a need to give title to the vagueness of a 'higher power', because they are bound to have names.
Through meditation and research I discovered Brighid and was very drawn to her. I feel like she has been here and I have been neglecting her presence just to remain vague. For this reason I am now considering myself a polytheist, but I need more information; I am unsatisfied with my ignorance!

How do I discover what Gods and Goddesses are calling to me, like Brighid? I wish to honor her and others that seek my attention. What should I research as far as which branch of Paganism I should delve into? I want a proper altar. I want to celebrate holidays with passion and meaning. I want to better understand myself and reach balance. I want to gain knowledge. I do not want to be considered a 'fluff bunny' because of my optimism, wonder, and sense of reverence. I want to become Pagan and be respectable.

If anybody has a desire to share with me their stories or experiences or wisdom, please send me a PM. Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:29 pm
Leaf Worship
I would like to ask if anybody had any advice for searching for deities.
Don't.
Quote:

I am interested naturally in my ancestors and their gods; I am under the impression that I will have a lot of choice. I am Greek, Armenian, Irish, and Italian in heritage, and I do not know where and how to begin my search for connection to create a circle of Gods so I can pray and seek advice and guidance.
Forget about the gods of the Gael, they're bound by their word to not acknowledge you.

Also- how many of these groups are your ethnic ancestors and how many of them were nationalities? I mean, everyone from the Mongols to the Turks invaded Armenia. To say nothing of the fact that it's likely you're bound to YHVH, given the history of the region- in which case, you can kiss polytheism good bye.

As for the others- according to our local Classic's major, the Hellenic deities had orthopraxic cults.

Quote:

I would like to request a sign; I am eager to discover who has been trying to reach me.
Why do you think someone has been trying to reach you?
Quote:

Should I seek a certain pantheon or simply embrace whoever makes their presence known? My instincts are tied between Greek and Celtic, although I had a strong feeling recently of Brighid’s presence when I was meditating…
Why would a goddess of the Gael break her oath in order to contact you?

Is there any honor in following a deity who breaks their word to their people and betrays them?

If she betrays her people, are you able to enter into a relationship with her knowing she may do the same to you?

Quote:

Does anybody have general advice on finding my path and my deities?
Study primary sources. Test all UPG. Use anthropology and archeological works in your research before you reach for books by Pagan publishers.
Quote:
...right now I am standing at a metaphysical fork with dozens of directions that I could choose,
Why do you think your path is your choice?

Quote:
I believe, very strongly, in reincarnation and soul connection (that is the belief that some souls are bound to one another and have been for ages; what some people may consider kindred spirits or soul mates).
Why would a soul of one be bound to another on general principle?

Quote:
I meditate daily to balance my chakras, which is very important to me.
What research have you done into the metaphysical traditions of India and how it relates to prana?

Quote:
Through meditation and research I discovered Brighid and was very drawn to her. I feel like she has been here and I have been neglecting her presence just to remain vague. For this reason I am now considering myself a polytheist, but I need more information; I am unsatisfied with my ignorance!
How do you know it was Brighid?
What elements of the experience suggest that it is a deity and not a thoughtform designed to look like a deity because you happen to like what you have read about said deity?

Quote:
I want a proper altar.
From which cult?

Quote:
I want to better understand myself and reach balance.
What is balance? Why do you want to be there?

Quote:
I do not want to be considered a 'fluff bunny' because of my optimism, wonder, and sense of reverence.
None of those things make you a fluffy.  

TeaDidikai

Bjornhona

Dapper Swapper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:17 pm
This response was very disheartening. I admitted my ignorance by asking for help and guidance. I asked because I was trying to understand and educate myself with the advice of people who understand more and are involved.

I was honest in saying that I understand very little and I am just attempting to get on my feet an expand myself spiritually. You illustrate my ignorance by pointing out what I do not know and giving me nothing but what I already had with the addition of skepticism and an uncertainty in myself and my capabilities.

Quote:

Why do you think someone has been trying to contact you?

Why would a goddess of the gael break her oath in order to contact you?

I had hoped I would be reached and wanted.
Obviously my feelings cloud what is truth. I am certain it was excitement and misunderstanding on my part. Because there is no reason a goddess would break a vow to contact me.

Quote:
Why do you think your path is your choice?

I think my path is ultimately my choice because I have free will, and I can actively decide to pursue a direction that I find. It is a path, in this instance, not my path...because I think that there are many ways to an end.

Quote:

A sense of being 'cut from the same cloth' - bound before they were Earthbound. Past attachment from different lives. I feel this way. I did not read it in a book or find it on google.

Quote:
What research have ou done in the metaphysical traditions of India and how it relates to prana?

I learned to balance my chakras and energies from a mentor and teacher. So, I suppose that books she has given me and her ideals would contribute to my knowledge.

Quote:
How do you know it was Brighid?

You know what? I don't know it was Brighid, because I am ignorant, and that is why I asked for help, and instead I am answering a questionaire of skepicism that is just proving to you what you concieved me to be when you typed it.

What is balance? Balance is a myriad of things... Balance is finding myself and losing myself at the same time to reach a sense of wholeness and belonging. Balance is clarity and stability. It is harmony and understanding. It is peace of mind by acceptance.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:19 am
I pretty much just asked aloud if anyone was there, and surprisingly it was Poseidon that answered. Clearly. ninja

I reccomend looking at scholarly info and mythology of the pantheons you are interested in and try taking it from there.  

patch99329

Nomad of Nowhere

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:29 am
TeaDidikai
Forget about the gods of the Gael, they're bound by their word to not acknowledge you.

Also- how many of these groups are your ethnic ancestors and how many of them were nationalities? I mean, everyone from the Mongols to the Turks invaded Armenia. To say nothing of the fact that it's likely you're bound to YHVH, given the history of the region- in which case, you can kiss polytheism good bye.

As for the others- according to our local Classic's major, the Hellenic deities had orthopraxic cults.

First of all, there were Armenian polytheistic gods, though they have faded more or less into obscurity. Secondly, what makes you think YHVH has ownership over all Armenians? He is the god of Israel, after all- from the Jewish perspective, the very idea goes against scripture. That not even mentioning the fact that if people were automatically sworn to YHVH because our ancestors converted, then almost none of us could be polytheist, Wiccans, or what have you. As for the Gaelic gods being sworn to the Gaels, isn't that a special case? Don't be so discouraging.

As for Orthopraxic cults, the Greeks were aware of differing customs even among Hellenic peoples, religious or otherwise. By saying they were Orthopraxic, one must be referring only to the main core of the practices, but not all. Granted, that's not a free ticket to go nuts and change everything, but theologically, it's expected that some people will disagree in where to draw the line, and those who draw it a bit more on one side than the other can still belong to a valid religious path. A good thing too, when any reconstruction in the modern era is bound to be imperfect.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:41 am
Leaf Worship
Quote:

A sense of being 'cut from the same cloth' - bound before they were Earthbound. Past attachment from different lives. I feel this way. I did not read it in a book or find it on google.

Depending on what area of knowledge you trust all spiritual forms are "cut from the same cloth" in terms of energy.

It may be possible here that you are mistaking a feeling of metaphysical interconnection with someone as being "soul bound" which is a lot more rigid and a lot less pretty then you would think it is. Interconnection through past involvement or even simple energy based affinity can give a feeling of connection and fate to a meeting or relationship.

But in the end it really is just an affinity. Like meeting someone who has a personality that compliments yours in all the right ways. Energy affinity can create the same drawing effect, but without any empirical or mundane explanation. It isn't that your bound to this person. You can pull away. You can go your own way and you are not tied to them permanently.

They just fit you well. Makes more sense now?

Quote:
What is balance? Balance is a myriad of things... Balance is finding myself and losing myself at the same time to reach a sense of wholeness and belonging. Balance is clarity and stability. It is harmony and understanding. It is peace of mind by acceptance.

Actually balance is a pretty simple concept. It is simply a concept describing a system in equilibrium. Simply a state of rest or peace due to alignment of opposing powers or forces.

So two weights are aligned over a scale device. Their pull downward from gravity is the same. It is in equilibrium. In this case it means they would be on about the same level. That is balance.

Multiple species in a given environment interact within the system in a way that maintains a constant state of each them, their food supplies and their sub interactions. It is in equilibrium. Therefore it is balanced.

Things can not stop moving. The universe is always dynamic so there is no rest in the idea of not moving, not doing anything. Peace is achieved through balance because when equilibrium is achieved the forces maintain the stable condition themselves. You don't need to interfere or involve yourself unless you're a part of those forces.

Finding yourself and losing yourself at the same time is duality and a form of comprehension that arises from truly understanding the concept of existing. Not really balance. Balance is stability but I wouldn't call it clarity or understanding. It can give clarity with that stability and peace though. Harmony not really, as balance can come from discordant forces in equilibrium against each other.

Those are all things you seek, but balance is only a small part of it. You need to not use the word simply as a catchphrase, but truly understand it and then move past it to get what you really need.  

Recursive Paradox

Bjornhona

Dapper Swapper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:55 am
patch99329
I pretty much just asked aloud if anyone was there, and surprisingly it was Poseidon that answered. Clearly. ninja

I recommend looking at scholarly info and mythology of the pantheons you are interested in and try taking it from there.

Alright, so more research. Noted.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:09 am
Hmmmm although then again, one could make the claim that discordant forces moving against each other but aligning to create an equilibrium and therefore balanced could be a form of harmony.

Just in a different level of formation.

[/musing]  

Recursive Paradox

Bjornhona

Dapper Swapper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:23 am
Quote:

That absolutely makes more sense, actually. It's not so much a binding, and it never really was. It's more of a natural sense of belonging, like you said, an affinity. I'll have to make sure to be more specific on my beliefs, word-wise.

Quote:
Finding yourself and losing yourself at the same time is duality and a form of comprehension that arises from truly understanding the concept of existing.

You certainly are right that I am including a lot of elements seemingly unrelated to my concept of balance, and perhaps I shouldn't couple them together and be more specific. But with duality, I would say that duality itself requires fluctuation and is ultimately seeking balance. I think that there are levels of understanding and therefore levels of balance that are achievable. Balance itself isn't necessarily leveled, but comprehension is, so you can have balance on different levels.
Maybe what I should say is I want to reach another level, expand myself. I think I will always want to expand my understanding and sense of peace.

I appreciate your input and view. I will be more specific so I can obtain specific outcomes.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:26 am
Leaf Worship
patch99329

I recommend looking at scholarly info and mythology of the pantheons you are interested in and try taking it from there.

I did much the same -- and got Apollo. Who quickly made way for Dionysos.

But before, I did rituals to try to connect with other pantheons. And got clear "not ours" responses.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:27 pm
Nomad of Nowhere
As for Orthopraxic cults, the Greeks were aware of differing customs even among Hellenic peoples, religious or otherwise.
This does not mean that these individual cults can't be orthopraxic.

Quote:
By saying they were Orthopraxic, one must be referring only to the main core of the practices, but not all.
No, one can be referring to any number of practices, including the fact that the prevailing theme among the Greeks is that however you do things, you do them the same each time.

Quote:
Granted, that's not a free ticket to go nuts and change everything, but theologically, it's expected that some people will disagree in where to draw the line, and those who draw it a bit more on one side than the other can still belong to a valid religious path.
This has nothing to do with the fact that these cults are orthopraxic in turn. When you do something wrong, it is all wrong. Sure, Corinth disagreed with Athens, but that doesn't mean Corinth's way was not as strict as Athens'.

You seem to mean that orthopraxic means everyone does it the same way. You are incorrect. It means ritual holds important over belief. In Greek religion, ritual was so important that if you did it wrong, you had to do it again. There are example myths at least two Gods punishing people for doing it wrong, off the top of my head, and I'm sure I could find some for many other Gods if I tried.

Quote:
A good thing too, when any reconstruction in the modern era is bound to be imperfect.
That's nice. Doesn't change the fact that, as per the traditions, how you do it is variable, but when you find that how, you bloody stick to it, unless otherwise notified.

As for finding who was there, it was less asking, and more realising someone who has been there for a long time, and probably finally needs some reconition, followed by some generally thwapping and occasional head poking. It's not really easily explained.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:51 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn

You seem to mean that orthopraxic means everyone does it the same way. You are incorrect. It means ritual holds important over belief. In Greek religion, ritual was so important that if you did it wrong, you had to do it again. There are example myths at least two Gods punishing people for doing it wrong, off the top of my head, and I'm sure I could find some for many other Gods if I tried.

Then I am wrong, and you hit the nail on the head; that's exactly the impression I had received on the meaning of the term "orthopraxic". Still, if it's referring to doing things consistently, then what does it's being orthopraxic have to do with restricting her option of becoming involved in the Hellenic practice? It's certainly nothing along the lines of the example of the oaths of the Gods of the Gael, as far as it's implications on inclusiveness. Nothing you have said would bar it from her, as far as I understand.  

Nomad of Nowhere

Bjornhona

Dapper Swapper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:33 pm
maenad nuri
Leaf Worship
patch99329

I did much the same -- and got Apollo. Who quickly made way for Dionysos.

But before, I did rituals to try to connect with other pantheons. And got clear "not ours" responses.

Then I shall ask directly and continue to meditate as well. You see, last night, I took a very long walk and requested some sort of sign or form of communication. Everywhere I walked, I saw doves. Doves in pairs, and then, toward the end of the walk, a single, pure white dove, sort of staring down from its perch in an ancient-looking tree. Along my walk also, I saw a great deal of yellow and white roses; not really saw as much as noticed. I am under the impression that it may have been from Astarte or Aphrodite...I am researching and trying to come to a conclusion. I will also meditate on this.

I will meditate and see where I am taken. Thank you for your help. :]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:22 pm
Nomad of Nowhere

Still, if it's referring to doing things consistently, then what does it's being orthopraxic have to do with restricting her option of becoming involved in the Hellenic practice?

It isn't so much that it would bar her and more that when you're dealing with orthopraxy you really need to know exactly what those practices were.

Anthropology can only do so much and if the group is secretive or (even worse) entirely dead then it is highly unlikely you will ever find that right consistent practice.

Which means that you can worship those gods all you want but you'll continue to do the rituals wrong and at best receive nothing for your efforts. And at worst receive serious backlash.  

Recursive Paradox

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:27 pm
Leaf Worship
Quote:

That absolutely makes more sense, actually. It's not so much a binding, and it never really was. It's more of a natural sense of belonging, like you said, an affinity. I'll have to make sure to be more specific on my beliefs, word-wise.

To be honest I don't think it's an issue of specificity and more just an issue of not having a word for it.

You went with bound because you weren't sure how to articulate the concept. Now you've got a vocabulary that works for the concept you want to show. ^^

Quote:
Quote:
Finding yourself and losing yourself at the same time is duality and a form of comprehension that arises from truly understanding the concept of existing.

You certainly are right that I am including a lot of elements seemingly unrelated to my concept of balance, and perhaps I shouldn't couple them together and be more specific. But with duality, I would say that duality itself requires fluctuation and is ultimately seeking balance. I think that there are levels of understanding and therefore levels of balance that are achievable. Balance itself isn't necessarily leveled, but comprehension is, so you can have balance on different levels.

Duality can be seeking balance but it is not inherently so. You can have two opposing forces or do two opposing things and not reach an equilibrium. Which would deny you balance.

What you really should do in terms of "losing yourself and finding yourself" is to balance those opposing forces. Then you would reach a spiritual equilibrium and find your balance.

Quote:
Maybe what I should say is I want to reach another level, expand myself. I think I will always want to expand my understanding and sense of peace.

Growth then? Growth is always a good goal. ^^ Well perhaps I'm biased as growth is the central pillar of my path. But ah well. Growth is good.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff