Can you answer my question?
  No
  Yes
  Huh?
View Results

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:04 pm
(No I don't know why I'm using it either....)

Alright. I leave my 9 year old brother with the computer for 3 hours, go out, come back and when I try to turn the computer on, it can't boot up.

Apparently this file was "missing or corrupt":

system32hal.dll

I fixed it up in a jiffy, so I don't need any help with that.

I don't know what the hell my brother did, but I'm pretty sure he didn't install a new hard disk or operating system. He doesn't even know how to do that, or for that matter, what those even are.

So, what happened? confused  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:37 pm
*Thinking* Well can you log on to it or are you using a separate computer? Whats the damage?  

nippIe goblin

Noob

8,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:29 pm
No, the computer is fine now. It works perfectly, I'm actually using it right now. I stuck in the Windows installer CD, went to the recovery console, did what was neccessary, bootcfg/ rebuild, problem was fixed, took out the CD, rebooted the computer, it worked fine. Still no problems.

When hal.dll was missing, of course, the computer couldn't even boot up.

My question is why was hal.dll missing in the first place.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:04 am
He probably was downloading his favorite Avenged Sevenfold songs on Limewire but instead received a virus, dohohoho!  

vincejustvince

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 pm
He's 9 years old....he can't download anything, and he knows to ask before he tries.

He was probably playing online games at some weird site or something....*irritated sigh*

---

Oh joy. It happened again today.

That's it. I'm switching my OS to Linux or something. burning_eyes  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:12 pm
maybe she downloaded something with a virus,u know some pop up windows with some "oh u win!!!" carries bugs. if u have younger siblings try do something about the "limitations" in d internet usage  

moonclown

Oterys

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:48 pm
Wish I could be of some assistance here, but I have damaged files or rather corrupt ones all the time and I haven't played on online game in years...although my sister did download one (and nearly annihilated the computer in the process). So that could very well be the case.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:17 pm
nada clue hun... but i recommend getting Windows Vista for better protection.... [he can't mess it up then]  

MysteryCross

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:03 pm
Vista???

rofl  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:13 pm
XWraith_LordX
Vista???

rofl

Actually, Vista is better than XP in many ways. The biggest complaint for Vista is just the memory issues, but for most people that should never be an issue.

Anyway, sorry I didn't post in here sooner. When you get the error message saying the hal.dll file is missing or corrupt, it can mean a few things. Since you got the error message again, that means you probably have one of two problems. The first possibility is your partition boot sector is damaged (corrupt or damaged by a virus). This should be fixable by writing a new partition boot sector, which is quite easy to do.

The other probable problem is you have a hardware problem. Your hard drive could have physical damage which would require you replace your hard drive. I would try the first solution, and if that doesn't work I would reinstall XP. If neither of those work, then you will have to replace the hard drive.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:35 pm
zz1000zz
XWraith_LordX
Vista???

rofl

Actually, Vista is better than XP in many ways. The biggest complaint for Vista is just the memory issues, but for most people that should never be an issue.

Anyway, sorry I didn't post in here sooner. When you get the error message saying the hal.dll file is missing or corrupt, it can mean a few things. Since you got the error message again, that means you probably have one of two problems. The first possibility is your partition boot sector is damaged (corrupt or damaged by a virus). This should be fixable by writing a new partition boot sector, which is quite easy to do.

The other probable problem is you have a hardware problem. Your hard drive could have physical damage which would require you replace your hard drive. I would try the first solution, and if that doesn't work I would reinstall XP. If neither of those work, then you will have to replace the hard drive.
That's what I did actually, but it happened again.

Maybe I'll just buy new virus scanning software. burning_eyes  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:05 pm
I used to have nothing but issues with XP. I'm sure IY can recall that rather well. I've actually built a BRAND new computer, not even an OEM part, and had issues that same day. I despised XP for years, but was stuck with it.

Since I've upgraded to Vista, I only had one blue screen, which was due to a REALLY cheap power supply that came with a case. Other than that, I love Vista.
As for the memory problems people complain of, just run at least 2gigs, and you're alright. You can get 4gigs of RAM rather cheap these days.
Hell, I can build you a pretty decent gaming rig for $700.  

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:52 am
zz1000zz
XWraith_LordX
Vista???

rofl

I thought the issue with why people didn't like vista was the severely stunted compatability with Win 9x programs, resulting windows 7 having the so called "virtual XP" environment. Not to mention its rediculously over inflated price and resource intensity. Which is why though my system could piss over Vista, I still run XP pro x64.  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:56 am
Macabre_Cogitation
I used to have nothing but issues with XP. I'm sure IY can recall that rather well. I've actually built a BRAND new computer, not even an OEM part, and had issues that same day. I despised XP for years, but was stuck with it.

Since I've upgraded to Vista, I only had one blue screen, which was due to a REALLY cheap power supply that came with a case. Other than that, I love Vista.
As for the memory problems people complain of, just run at least 2gigs, and you're alright. You can get 4gigs of RAM rather cheap these days.
Why would your power supply cause BSOD, which is an issue usually related to a memory leak? O_O  

Rellik San
Crew

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:15 am
Rellik San
zz1000zz
XWraith_LordX
Vista???

rofl

I thought the issue with why people didn't like vista was the severely stunted compatability with Win 9x programs, resulting windows 7 having the so called "virtual XP" environment. Not to mention its rediculously over inflated price and resource intensity. Which is why though my system could piss over Vista, I still run XP pro x64.

The average user would not be bothered much by the compatibility issues of Vista (once the early lack of drivers problem was resolved). The people who had this problem were usually gamers and/or designers, who make up a far smaller share of the Vista market. Also, the cost of Vista was not particularly more problematic than previous versions.

Finally, when you mention resource intensity, that is the very problem I said was the largest complaint.

Rellik San
Macabre_Cogitation

Why would your power supply cause BSOD, which is an issue usually related to a memory leak? O_O

The Blue Screen of Death is not (normally) caused by memory leaks. I would hesitate to say it never is caused by memory leaks, but if it ever is it is uncommon.

With that said, the most common source for a BSOD in Vista is an ACPI error, which naturally can be caused by a power supply.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff