Submit

It's almost easter!
YAY JESUS!
100%
 100%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 10

Stargirl8480

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:01 pm
I'm a fairly new Christian... and all my life my mom (who was raised a Jehovah's Witness but separated from that when she was older) told me to keep away from people who speak in tongues and all that... but she never really gave me a reason why. And now that I'm getting some new christian friends and everything, I have one that speaks in tongues... And she's such a nice person, I dont' really see anythin wrong with it.

Anybody able to help me out here??

Also.. I tend to get these dreams, I always have... just sort of dreams that are scenes that happen later on. Nothing important even, just a small conversation that ends up happening verbatum... I've learned to just not pay attention to them. But since I became a christian my friend is all excited, she said it's a gift from God and that its just not developed yet. So I'm sorta thinking...what in the worlddd???

I've read parts of the bible where it talks about tongues and dreams and prophecies... but i'm still like really confused.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:54 pm
On the subject of speaking in tongues, I've always been kind of iffy. To me (and Biblically, as well) speaking in tongues means speaking in a different language. So if I were magically to start speaking in Swahili, which I've never studied, that would be seen as divine to me. I'm just never sure what to make of the people who are speaking in the "language of angels" or whatever. My friend actually has a really funny story about how she went to a church service and they were speaking in tongues and the guy on one side kept saying "b*****d" in Spanish and the guy on the other kept saying something to the effect of "Ahhh, my clothing!" in Spanish. So I guess they were speaking in tongues, it just wasn't exactly what the intended!

While I'm kind of sketchy on doing it, I don't think people who do it should be shunned. One of my best friend from my internship last summer would pray in tongues at prayer meeting. I didn't join in, but I respect his right to worship in the way that suits him. How a person worships is part of their personal relationship with God.

On the subject of dreams, I've had dreams like that too, where events happen in a dream and then later in real life. I've never considered it anything spiritual, as it's never been anything important. But I do believe God can use dreams to reveal things, so maybe keep and eye out.

freelance lover
Crew

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:19 pm
The New Testament is full of verses about speaking in tongues, praising the gift, saying how useful it is for unbelievers to come to Christ. Paul himself spoke in tongues. Here are a few important things to know about speaking in tongues:

It is a gift of the Holy Spirit, used to distinguish believers from unbelievers

Mark 16:17
And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues ...

Acts 2:4
All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

1 Corinthians 12:7, 10
Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.... to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

It should be used as a tool in conjunction with the gift of prophesy to further God's kingdom and bring enlightenment to fellow believers

1 Corinthians 14:6, 27
Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?... If anyone speaks in a tongue, two-or at the most three-should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret.

Speaking in tongues in encouraged

1 Corinthians 14:39
Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

Looks like you may have been brought together with your friend for a purpose. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:06 pm
@freelance: Yeah, I never thought much of those dreams. But before I was a Christian I did (and still do) believe that dreams tell you things and whatnot... so I keep a dream journal. It's revealed a lot to me, I would recommend it to anyone.

@Butterfly: I have read all of those, and it's great to read them again. Kinda reassuring, you know? But if my mother ever heard my friend speaking in tongue...she'd flip out. She and I don't think the same at all, really. But my friend is great, and she genuinely cares about everyone. -shrug- I don't think she'll ever really understand... I could go on a big rant about it. But actually I might put up a prayer request for her later in the subforum. I can explain more there.

Thank you bothh heart  

Stargirl8480

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:40 pm
Have you tried pointing these verses out to your mother?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:25 am
Nah... we haven't brought the subject up in a while and I'd rather not. My mom has this thing of talking over people, so no matter how much I try to tell her somethin she'll keep on talking like I'm not even there.  

Stargirl8480

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:19 pm
Fushigi beat me to it. sweatdrop Totally had Corinthians in mind. heart

Regarding your mother's upbringing as a Jehovah's Witness, the congregations are heavily moderated and highly ordered. They are extremely serious about any display of individualism, whether in thought or in behaviour. I am not surprised that your mother is cautious about these gifts. As Fushigi recommended, it is important to show this scripture to fellow believers as both a defence against confusion and a reassurance of unsure faith.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:28 pm
Stargirl8480
Nah... we haven't brought the subject up in a while and I'd rather not. My mom has this thing of talking over people, so no matter how much I try to tell her somethin she'll keep on talking like I'm not even there.
Write her a letter. She can't talk over that.

And don't even tell her what it's about. Just write down the verses she should look up and let her puzzle it out on her own
ninja wink  

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Stargirl8480

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:09 pm
Ixor-san
Stargirl8480
Write her a letter. She can't talk over that.

And don't even tell her what it's about. Just write down the verses she should look up and let her puzzle it out on her own
ninja wink

I might actually consider that, if the subject comes up again. My sister used to do that though, when they'd get in arguments... she'd write out long apology letters. Not really my thing. I get what I need to say out, and if she doesn't hear it... not my fault. But writing down the verses she should look up does sound like a good idea. I might just do that for other stuff too.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:29 am
Stargirl8480, Welcome into the family of our Lord and Savior xd
I do not speak in tongues (so far) but I'll not resist should it happen.
2me, tongues spoken privately = communicating in heavenly language
that edifies self; in public, there should be an interpreter so others
may also be edified [prophesied] (1 Corinthians 14:4,5) there should
never be chaos/attention hoarding. U'll know when its from the Lord
My desire is to be a sweet fragrance to God when I worship and be
transparent to Abba Father; brokenness and all...as the spirit leads razz GBY  

dawgwhisperer

winkipie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:35 am
There was once an incident where these guys were speaking in "tongues", but it was actually in spanish. They didn't know spanish, so it was impressive, but what they said was horrendous. They would speak it strangely, and then in sudden, quick bursts of English they talked about how people should be taking the mark of the Beast and that they should offer themselves to it. I was like, "whoa!" Then this guy started flipping out of his seat, litterally, he looked like his body was being dragged down by strings and he was trying to resist, cuz his head would slam into the floor and he would try to get up and point at the guys accusing them of something when they cut him off mid-sentence and said he had the "Holy Spirit" in him. He fell back down to the ground and couldn't get up anymore.
The guy ended up in a psychward (assylum I guess?) and was never released after the incident. The other people speaking in "tongues" sounded like dying/screaming cats, not like the people of other pentacoastal churches. The same guys were also "preaching" at other churches and similar incidents would always occur. One woman screamed that her clothes were on fire and started to strip down while she yelled in pain. It was awful. turns out the guys weren't Christian at all, they were like... In some kinda cult or something.
Anywho, I'm just posting this to let people know that things aren't always one-sided. There are many spirits at work within the world, some of the Lord, others opposed to Him. We always have to be finding out which is which so as to not fall victim to these people who purposely try to ruin congregations through their deceptions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:02 pm
I'd probably tell you to avoid people who spoke in tongues, too. Mostly because there are many who will claim to be given gifts from God, but are in fact merely profiteers.....

I've also always been concerned with people who have these "gifts" diverting attention from the Lord.... There is a grave on the South Side of Chicago that is covered with gifts. Toys, money, flowers. It's not the same, I know, but many religious people think this grave is significant... It was a dedicated young girl who died young, and her grave is said to have the ability to heal the sick, and it smells of violets all year (That it does, actually, and I've put a bit of research into this). Well, the religious people love it. But it's almost as if they are worship her, and not God at times.

If these gifts are real or not (I have yet to see one person who claimed whom I actually believe one hundred percent. After all, I have the uncanny ability to predict the TV line up, but I don't think I have a "gift". But if I mention or think of an episode of MASH, The Simpsons, South Park, or Family Guy, it's on... And I don't even like Family Guy.), these people gain so much attention, and so much appreciation, they gain followers, and it almost becomes worship. Like they are idols of their own. These people are distractions, I believe....

Also, if what they see is true is meant to be, then, well why bother? Just go on living.  

Matt Pniewski

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:11 am
I speak in tongues, but that's only because I study them. Mia glosa den ine pote arketi, after all. Personally, I think if anyone claims to spontaneously be able to speak a foreign language, they're either batshit crazy or deluded. They might be divinely inspired, but... well, the world has been a little short on miracles lately.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:01 am
Galad Damodred
I speak in tongues, but that's only because I study them. Mia glosa den ine pote arketi, after all. Personally, I think if anyone claims to spontaneously be able to speak a foreign language, they're either bat**** crazy or deluded. They might be divinely inspired, but... well, the world has been a little short on miracles lately.

Hey, watch the language, please.

Also, I know you're somewhat skeptic but whether or not the world has been short on miracles sems entirely dependent on one's outlook.

Priestley

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:57 am
Galad Damodred
I speak in tongues, but that's only because I study them. Mia glosa den ine pote arketi, after all. Personally, I think if anyone claims to spontaneously be able to speak a foreign language, they're either batshit crazy or deluded. They might be divinely inspired, but... well, the world has been a little short on miracles lately.

Not like we need them anymore, anyway. Considering that the world is probably the best it's ever been, and only going to get better.

Granted, we've taken a few steps back, but for every step back, we take several steps forward.

I had an Ex who spoke in tongues. She WAS crazy. She claimed that her and her church expelled demons.... Everyone in the church claimed this. They claimed that I was suffering from Demonic posession because I suffered from depression and social anxiety disorder.

So, yeah, she WAS crazy.... Which is why I'm a bit hesitant about people who claim they are "gifted" with abilities from God....  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff