Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

... Off
View Results

the_underworks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:47 pm
The Question of the day is: has the economic recession affected you in any way?

Personally for me it has... The prices of metals such as zinc, copper, silver and nickel has dropped significantly (apart from gold which is still rising). So mines have been shutting their doors and the mining industry has become saturated with workers.

So in a nutshell, I have gone from making money like water to being a trucker earning 15 dollars an hour... I personally don't mind... It is kind of fun to do something else and it is way less physically than mining drifts and raises. Plus i do not have a very expensive lifestyle and a big part of my salary while being miner has been placed in the bank.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:20 pm
Well, it's been pretty impossible for me to find a job, and my mom's pay was just reduced 10%... her entire company reduced all of their employees' pay 10%, instead of laying off anyone. We were just barely making it with her earning $11 an hour, now she's getting $9.90 an hour and has me and my brother and sister.
Good news is... Walmart may hire me...
Bad news is... Walmart may hire me.

mechanical kitsy

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:20 am
Yes. Me and my family are barely going through each day, in fact both my parents vehicles just broke. Now, tomorrow I have to ride my bicycle six miles to the store to pick up some groceries and then ride the six miles home. That doesn't sound like anything to do with economic recession but it does because my family isn't being paid enough to survive. My dad gets paid $25 an hour and works about 60 hours a week sometimes more and my mom gets like $150 a week from her work and I get $9.05 and we still are having trouble getting by. In fact, next month we may have to go without electricity so we can pay our mortgage. I've been more stressed then I have been for almost two or three years, and its only going to get worse.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:32 am
It's the economy that's making it so bad, that's why I'm grateful to be in the military where they can't fire you, but my job sucks so i can't quit even if I wanted to, and I do.  

Jeht Nightmare

Countess Serene Bathory

6,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:02 am
Well, let me just say that the recession sucks majorly. I am a college graduate, who has two bachelors degrees; one in psychology and the other in sociology. Needless to say, I can't find a job and have been jobless for a year and a half. The people tell me that I am either too qualified for a job or not qualified enough, and I can't get experience if no one hires me. Now my husband's hours have been cut from 40 hours a week to 32. Which takes equivalent to a about a full pay check a month away from us. My husband also has two bachelors degrees; one in philosophy and the other in psychology, but he is too frightened to go back to school for his masters because he would loose his job. So he can't move on to a job that pays over 50k more than he is earning now.

To top everything off, we have had to move back in with my in-laws to help them not loose their house and so my husband and I can eat. We have over 150k in student loans to pay back between the two of us, and all of our other bills; credit cards, cell phones, gas, car insurance & maintenance, and survival necessities. We have no savings because we are living from paycheck to paycheck, and are almost to the point that we can't pay our bills.

Even then, I have more to deal with because my mother has tried to kill herself 3 times in the past 4 months, is in a respite center, and I am having to take over her life and responsibilities. Even still the people who are dealing with her case keep telling me that she can't live by herself because she is a threat to herself, but they want to release her to return to her apartment where she lives alone in about two weeks.

I am not going to win. At this point I am on a one sided battle with no chance at winning.

Thank you for letting me vent  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:02 pm
well it sucks majorly but i am still striding to not let this recession bother me. I get paid $7.25 an hour with barely 25 hours a week. I'm living with my mom who works as a massage therapist only working on comission alone and my sister, husband and 4 year old nephew. We are all struggling to pay the bills and i have been struggling to save enough money to get out of phoenix for the past two years.  

Alister_King

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comrade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:34 pm
User Imageρℓαgυε яαтs αη∂ вℓσσ∂ч cяυмρεтs...

It sucks but it hasn't overly affected me.
I've always been poor, so t's more like people coming down to my level.
My mum has a job at a grocery market, her job is relatively safe.

Status >in want of arts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:10 pm
It sucks because I'm in college currently and there's nowhere hiring for summer part-time jobs, which I kind of need, considering I have to pay rent and all...  

Bloody Loon

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:58 pm
Extravagantly Yours
User Imageρℓαgυε яαтs αη∂ вℓσσ∂ч cяυмρεтs...

It sucks but it hasn't overly affected me.
I've always been poor, so t's more like people coming down to my level.
My mum has a job at a grocery market, her job is relatively safe.

Status >in want of arts
It's pretty much the same with me. surprised  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:04 pm
The economy doesn't hurt me to badly. I worked at Wal-Mart (heads up to xXx kitsy xXx, be very careful at Wal-Mart, don't let them steal your soul. I watch it happen to WAY to many, it's why I got out with some of mine intact)

I work at a furniture store, putting the stuff together. Due to the fact it's one of the biggest in the Mid-West, my job is relatively safe. Especially because I am also learning to repair furniture, so I an double up on positions/work. I make only about 9 an hour, and it works for me. Only because I live with my Mum and Step-Dad still.
Now, my mother is a watiress and her tips have been $100 less a week for months now, due to people being ASSHOLES and not tipping. If you are one them, start tipping, two dollars is something! I know it may be hard, but if you're going out to eat, make sure you leave something for the people who put that food on your table, it's how they get to eat and pay their bills.
We make it, but barely.
I'm lucky Wichita has such a low cost of living...  

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

Shifty lil Pixie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:37 pm
I was laid off a year ago next month and haven't been able to find anywhere willing to hire me since. Every shop I call says they just don't have enough business to pay another employee. Even all the basic retail jobs aren't hiring in my area. To make matters worse, my roomies are moving in a few more months so I'm going to figure out how to afford my own place. Definitely feeling the economic problems here!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:42 pm
So far as I can tell the effects in Australia are negligible at the moment, so it hasn't affected me at all. However it sounds like it is much more serious in America than I would have expected.  

Shadowed Intent

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:47 am
I don't expect to be fired anytime in the near future since my landlady, employer and mother are all the same person. Wait, technically the business switched over to my sister and now I'm working for her.
The relevant part is that we sell silver jewelry, silk scarves, and other small frivolous objects. To a certain extent the sales in the five dollar range have gone up drastically as people try to reassure themselves that things aren't so bad, after all, they can afford to buy silver jewelry. However, with the silver market doing what it's doing, (you'd know about this, Underworks) there was a year in which the exact same piece that we'd been carrying for years would jump from five dollars to twelve. It's going back down again, but it's still alot higher than it used to be, and with how poor everyone's feeling, that means no one's buying.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:56 pm
I'm at college at the moment, due to finish mid-July.

If I could drive I wouldn't have a problem getting a job. There are so many nannying jobs out there it's unreal...just they all want you to be able to drive.

I can't afford to learn to drive because I don't have a job and I can't get a job because I can't work.

I'll have to sign on to job seekers allowance at this rate. Or go for one of the £300 per week, live-in, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, inner-city London jobs that I really don't want.  

broken_joker

L Ron Jeremy

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:14 pm
Personally it hasn't really affected me much. Only real big thing is I can't really find a job, which I honestly don't mind it so much. I currently live with my grandmother who is retired(until I graduate high school, which is next school year), and given that throughout her life(as long as she's been in the US, anyway) she's been putting at least part of her money into the bank(retirement plans and the like), she's pretty safe as far as money reserves go. On top of that she participates in medical studies which pay her, just in case.

It has been affecting my mom's household somewhat though. My stepdad has been having to take jobs(he's a construction worker) all over the state to support my brother, as opposed to the usual local contracts. My mom can't find a job, and she's headed for surgery(which she can barely pay for) in about two weeks. They're getting by with my stepdad's job(s) though, and my grandma and I try to help out whenever we can.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff