Miley Cyrus' slanted-eye photo scandal Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

King Henry
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:45 pm
Miley Cyrus, the singer-songwriter and Disney Channel starlet, has had her share of photo scandals, but this one is different. In February 2009, a picture of the "Hannah Montana" actress and a group of friends (which included an Asian male) was leaked to the Internet. In the picture, Cyrus and her comrades are depicted with slant-eye poses. The controversial picture is posted below:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A representative from the Organization of Chinese Americans (OCA) said this about the picture:

"The photo falls within a long and unfortunate history of people mocking and denigrating individuals of Asian descent. Not only has Miley Cyrus and the other individuals in the photograph encouraged and legitimized the taunting and mocking of people of Asian descent, she has also insulted her many Asian Pacific American friends. We hope that Miley Cyrus will apologize to her fans and the APA community for this lapse in judgment and takes the opportunity to better understand why the gesture is offensive."

On her official website, Cyrus blogged about the photo and had this to say:

"I’ve also been told there are some people upset about some pictures taken of me with friends making goofy faces! Well, I’m sorry if those people looked at those pics and took them wrong and out of context!

In NO way was I making fun of any ethnicity! I was simply making a goofy face. When did that become newsworthy? It seems someone is trying to make something out of nothing to me. If that would of been anyone else, it would of been overlooked! I definitely feel like the press is trying to make me out as the new ‘BAD GIRL’!

I feel like now that Britney is back on top of her game again, they need someone to pick on! Lucky me! haha Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know what is on my heart. You guys know me and have been by my side every step of the way!

You guys know my heart and know the most important things to me are my friends, family, fans, and GOD! In NO WAY do I want to disappoint any of you! But, when I have made mistakes in the past, I feel like I’ve owned up to them and apologized.

I really wish everyone would stop focusing on my personal life and get back to focusing on what I love! Music and Acting! Hopefully, I will be touring again this fall! Yayy! =] It will be a nice change to be back out on the road again!

bexoxo blessings…Miley =)"

This was not the first time in recent history that a slanted-eyes photograph was leaked to the web. This is a picture of the men's basketball team from Spain prior to their appearance at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China.

What are your thoughts on these pictures?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:52 pm
From the photo, it looks like there really is nothing wrong with the gesture. I don't really find it offensive, unless people mean it to be offensive. I had one guy last year in my school continually call me "c***k," until I...did some stuff that are semi-regrettable, but that's not the point.

I agree with Miley that people are just looking for scandals when there shouldn't be any. Personally, I'm fine with it.  

MistuhFieryCat

ur maknae

Hero

7,850 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:57 pm
why are they obsessed with them playing around? they dont mean any harm... rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:59 pm
They just overreacting about Miley's picture. People always looking to make celebritys look bad.
For the basketball team picture... I don't know what to say.

A Bathing Panda

Wanari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:28 pm
That doesn't really bother me. I am still a Miley fan and I could really careless what her face and stuff have to say. All I really like is her music and even though people say her voice is terrible, I think it is alright. I mean she makes a great amount of nice music and I actually like it. Yes, I like it. I don't really have anything to say about that picture with all the basketball people. D: That actually kinda made me a little hurt. neutral confused  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:42 pm
i am not sure if miley and her friends were really doing that to be offensive or just making goofy faces, cause many people don't have the knowledge of asian people's slanted eyes, so i don't know about that one. but as for the picture of the spanish basketball team, i found it very offensive, because the whole team was making that face and i believe that they are educated people, unlike miley and her friends who are still considered teenagers, so the spanish basketball players must've done that on purpose.  

flavored pencils

L O v 3`

Friendly Duck

9,225 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:00 pm
I was until I noticed there's an asian guy next to her ;0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:10 pm
They just made drama out of something that was harmless in my opinion.

She's just a famous young overrated kid, right?

I also think the Asian organization who are suing Miley for millions of dollars for 'irreparable damages', are being ridiculous...hahaha.

I mean, yeah, I get how offensive it may seem to some sensitive folks.. but golly gee, why sue for money?
Why not just keep badgering her for an apology like they did with Rosie O'Donnels 'Chingchongchingchong' slip?

It all seems pointless in these difficult times. But I guess the gossip sites need their news. >_>

Rabid Bagel Cow Thing

Dapper Hoarder

8,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

sea-rover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:38 am
who knows, maybe the asian guy in the picture is the one who ask people to do that face so he can post in his "shocking" face ._.

idk i was jk lol but maybe? lol

i think miley is alright, i think they all just having fun,as for the baseketball team lmao they made me day

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:54 am
Wow I remember this. There was a big rant about it from this guy on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2cZUR5N0LI&feature=channel_page) and I agree with him. Goofy faces, really? I don't really know what her intentions are but I bet some people are personally offended. This slanted eye thing was used to mock Asian people back then (when America wasn't so diverse yet) and still is. I mean, even if your intentions are "goofy faces" like in the basketball pictures, people originally did it to make fun of Asians.

Personally, I don't like it. I'm not too offended but for Miley, she's a "role model" so when she did that slanted eye thing, she's making it seem like it's okay to do that. I wouldn't like it if someone did that to me. sad  

MizukiLee

Friendly Explorer

5,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50

King Henry
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:18 am
N a s t y a z n
who knows, maybe the asian guy in the picture is the one who ask people to do that face so he can post in his "shocking" face ._.

rofl  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:17 pm
I don't know if anyone realized this but the asain guy in the picture................ HIS EYES AREN'T SLANTED ! And since when did slanting your eyes a goofy face ?! they could be just jelous and want slanted eyes ? !~  

chowchowpup713

V.i.e.t.Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:17 pm
Its just kids being dumb at the wrong time...especially so when they are famous. No offense, but really, celebs gotta watch what they do betta  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:44 am

I.T.'.S. P.A.N.D.A. T.I.M.E.

xx---xXG l a s sXx- Wants To Speak---xx

BUMP
they just want beautiful eyes like we do. haha

Y.E.A.A.

asianchubbybunnyyy

iL0V3-HUGS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:13 am
xX-G l a s s-Xx

I.T.'.S. P.A.N.D.A. T.I.M.E.

BUMP
they just want beautiful eyes like we do. haha

Y.E.A.A.

lol yea they r just jealous  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces