Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Pokemon Unleashed
Naming Your Characters Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you use your own name for your character?
  Yup!
  Nope
  Sometimes
  Pikachu!
View Results

Negai Boshi
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:50 pm
I don't know about the rest of you, but whenever I get a new game, I struggle to choose a name for the main character, and then there's the added trouble of naming your rival. I got Platinum on Sunday, and spent a good half hour pondering names. This one easily took the longest of ANY game so far, but it was a fun process.

So here's what I want to know: How do you chose the names for your characters? Do you use your own name, or do you go through an elaborate process trying to find the perfect name?

heart  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:27 pm
So, here's my naming logic from a handful of my games. I never use my own name, so I alwats spend time choosing a name I love.

Sapphire version - Kimmy
I don't remember, but I think it was one of the suggested names at the begining of the game. If not, I don't know how I came up with it, but I love that name, it's SO cute. ^-^ I use the username kimmy46006 on some sites because of her. (46006 is her ID #)

Emerald version - Amanda
Named after a good friend of mine who was a Pokemon fan. She also gave me half of her Pokemon card collection, but she moved away when I was in 5th grade. T-T

Ruby version - Sean
One of my first times playing as a male character. I think this might have been a default name as well, but perhaps not on Ruby? I dunno. However, I pronounce it like Seen, not Shawn.

FireRed version - Jessie
It was the first name I thought of when I saw her design. I didn't realize until after I was past the first gym that Jessie is the name of the Team Rocket member....
Rival - Gary
Because I didn't want to be original. I can't look at him and think of any other name. That guy IS Gary.

Diamond version - Taylor
Named after Veronica Taylor, the voice actress who voiced Ash back when the Pokemon anime didn't suck. I love her work. Veronica doesn't fit in the name blank (Why do they only give us 7 spaces???), plus I thought Taylor fit her character more.
Rival - Hikaru
Named after Dawn's Japanese name, Hikari. I also just think it's a cute name.

Platinum version - Louis
This took me such a long time, but it was only 2 days ago, so I remember all of it:
First, I tried to choose another name honoring the old, wonderful voice actors, including Eric Stuart, Rachael Lillis, Ted Lewis, and Dan Green (couldn't remember any others). But I really didn't have luck with those, so I moved on. I almost named him Ian, after Gaia's Ian, but then I saw the name Roy suggested for the rival, and kinda liked that instead. So I went back to change it, and thought of Louie, the hot vampire NPC. Which made me think of Louis from Interview with the Vampire, which made me think of Lestat, from the same series and whose name I've seen on the GTS before. And then I went BACK to the voice actors and chose the non-French pronunciation of Louis, which is like Lewis, as in Ted Lewis, the VA for Tracey, who's definatly my favorite Pokemon character ever. <3 That process took me over 30 minutes.
Rival - Yuki
This was easier, since I chose the name before I even bought the game. I watched the anime E's Otherwise the night before, and the character Yuki in that is so awesome. Plus, I was reading Fruits Basket a few days ago, so Yuki was just a name stuck in my head. It's cute. I imagine this character as Hikaru's little brother, so I wanted them to both have Japanese names. I almost called him Kaoru (Ouran High School Host Club <3), but I figured that wasn't as good.

^-^

That's enougth from me. Your turn!!!  

Negai Boshi
Captain

Nithhogr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:24 pm
I cant my Names too long sad  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:07 pm
PkMn Red: Anthony. My reason for this name is simply because it was my real name.
PkMn Blue: Anthony, same reasons again.
PkMn Yellow: Ash. Just because I started to watch the Anime of Pokemon.
Pokemon Gold: Death, I don't know about this name and why.
Pokemon Silver: Gill. Professor Gill from Kakaider.
Pokemon Pear: Aeon, it was my old account name.  

itrollonusrsface

krishnath

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:43 am
I never name my game characters after myself, however I do give them names that I like:

Tenchi - This is a common name I use for male characters, named after the main character of the anime Tenchi Muyo, which is a sci-fi/fantasy hybrid. I am currently using this name on Platinum and one of my third generation games.
Draco - another common name I use for male characters, it is Latin for Dragon (male). I am currently using this name on Diamond and one of my third generation games.
Tanya - This is the name I use most often for female characters. I don't know why, but I love it. I am currently using this on Pearl.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:09 pm
Normal I do, but sometimes I just can't think of anything. I prefer foreign names, like Vladmir, Kraden, Migami, ect.  

WarlordKraden

Mafdet of Egypt

Dedicated Lover

9,300 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:46 pm
Like most, I name the character with my own name, more or less. ^^; But I went with a more original name for Platinum. Rosalia is much better than RoseLM or RoseMay. XD;  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:06 pm
I always put japanese names to my characters:
Silver: Shiru

Sapphire: Shizuka

Diamond= Hikari

Kyoukakku

2,950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Market Browser 100

HBV Raiden

Inquisitive Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:49 pm
I didn't start using my real name until recently.
For all of my pokémon games in the past, I used the name "Donut". Now I use my real name for my games. I switched because I though it was slightly immature to use a name like Donut instead of my name.

As for my rival, I usually pick one of the default names. I don't care too much about their name.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:30 am
I currently use only my name in my pokemon handheld games (except for when I used to have emerald, my character's name was the default, Brendan). When I had pokemon xd and colleseum (sorry if that's a mispell) I gave them different names. (xd=mikey colleseum=kenny sidekick girl=bianca) But when I get pokemon heartgold (I might get soulsilver, too) I might name the male character after a cahracter I created. If I get both, I'll make the other female and name her after another of my characters.

When it comes to rival's names....leafgreen=kai (japanese for water)
diamond/pearl=phoenix (I just think of that from his design).  

The Silent Paladin

Enduring Paladin

14,825 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Tycoon 200

blue_man_of_destruction

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:16 am
Well I will be honest, most of the names I use for any game..is the name of a hero.character from other games.

Laharl-Ever since I played a certain game years ago I have liked this name. Anybody now where its from? ninja

Abyssion-A secret boss in one of the best Gamecube games ever! For some reason I like it alot. This is the name I use ALOT as my main characters name.

Scythe-No idea why but I named my very first pokemon character this..and have used it a few times since then.

Mordecai-Probably my favorite name but its to big to fit as a name for someone in pokemon games..its been a while.

Hiro-....I used this ALOOOOOOT when I was younger just because I never could come up with an original name.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:24 am
It really depends on my mindset. I usually name the characters after myself or someone close to me. Rivals are named after people who I am competitive with in real life.  

iamjustice

Justice Prophet

17,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Junior 100

ClarinetGoddess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:14 pm
I get into name phases. Durig these name phases, I am in lvoe with a particular name, and everything I write, play or do is in that name. At the moment, I am transitioning between name phases.

my old name was Mira, so currently all my pokemon games are under Mira. I think i will restart everything but ranger under my new name, Iana. Mostly because the only one i am currently far in is ranger, because I haven't seen it pretty much since I got it, and when this happens I get obsessed over the game for a month or so.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:05 pm
I use Mimi...why? Because that's my nickname irl. <3  

Mimi Kyashi 19

Magnetic Gekko

6,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Befriended 100

Inmyroomreb

Original Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:26 am
At first I tried to think of some badass names like "Raven" or "Demonia", but now I use my nicknames like "Doodles" and "Moochi" for my character.
And I always pick a girl. I haven't had a boy since the original Gold and Silver.

Lately I've been giving my rival silly names, though. In HeartGold his names is "Titties". It's just a little something I always forget about that makes me laugh every time he pops up.

Pokemon Unleashed

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff