Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
The Watcher's Way Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:10 am
The Watcher's Way
(Or, miscellaneous mystery tradition #24)

A Foreword

The views expressed in this pathways thread may or may not represent the views of others on the same path. Sections under dispute shall be marked as such (i.e. some argue/there's a debate about). There will also be a singular lack of sources, for 2 reasons. First, it is primarily an oral tradition, and secondly, what few source materials there are, aren't available to the public. Also, there shall be some questions I shall not be able to answer under binding of oath, these shall be replied to stating such.

Also note, this will not contain any parts on my Asatru path, as I treat them as separate paths, held independent of one another.

Table of Contents

1. Cosmology
2. Deities
3. Hierarchical Structure
4. Myths
5. Description of Deities and Entities
6. Rites and Magic in Religious Context
7. Ways
8. Doctrines  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:12 am
Cosmology

(I'll start this section off small, and build upon it as necessary when I have time)

Before everything, there existed a single Prime Entity, Void. It was all that existed in a sea of nothingness; a mindless entity of pure instinct "to not exist". Over time, another Prime Entity came into existence, Balance; another mindless entity with the pure instinct of "balance". (What gave rise to Balance itself is not entirely known, and the subject of some heated dispute).

Balance contrasted against Void to give rise to Creation ( "to make exist" ) and then contrasted with itself to give rise to Chaos ( "to unbalance" ). These primes interacted with one another, to create other primes, which interacted with one another to create even more primes, and so forth.

Over time, the interaction of the Prime Entities created intelligence behind the instinct and gave rise to the Prime Deities. Separate beings altogether, who had sway on the spheres of the Prime Entities.

(The exact creation of this world or others isn't addressed beyond the statement that Void exists as a lattice upon which Creation was built, a foundation of sorts for reality.)  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:13 am
Deities

(I'll only list the deities I personally deal with, as, to be honest, the list is a bit big, and I don't even remember all of it off hand sweatdrop )

(Second note: I shall not be including any proper names, only their layman names, and select titles)

Prime Deities

This encompasses all deities given rise directly from Prime Entities, or the interactions thereof.

Chaos
Titles include "Lord of Ingenuity" "High Inventor" "Lord of Conflict"

The Prime Deity with influence over the Prime Entity of Chaos. Notoriously unstable, randomly switches between aiding and hindering.

Aligned primarily with Creation, Destruction, and Void.

Opposed with Balance, and Order.

Void
Titles include "Consumer" "Unmaker" "Dark Lord"

The Prime Deity with influence over the Prime Entities of both Void and Destruction. Cruel, cunning, greedy, destructive.

Previously aligned with Destruction and Chaos. Said to have slain Destruction and devoured him, giving him reign over Destruction's sphere of influence for his own ends.

Opposed with 90% of all other Prime Deities.

(Side note: All personal interactions with Void have been one-sided. Primarily him taking an unsolicited interest with me for some reason)

Non-prime Deities

(A quick note: Non-prime Deities are all deities who were not brought about by the prime entities. This includes all deities who were born/created in some way or another external to the prime entities themselves)

Watcher Of The Ways
Central deity to all Watchers.
Titles include "Prince of Knowledge" "Illuminator" "Truth Bearer" "Gazing God".

(Almost) omniscient, neutral, watcher deity. Said to know all that all deities and entities can/will ever know (with several exceptions). Open, shares knowledge with those that deserve/earn it.

The Prince of Masks
Titles include "Prince of Secrets" "Lord Concealer" "Unknowable One"

A foil of sorts to the Watcher Of The Ways. Said to know all things that cannot and will not ever be known by any other deities, and to be one of the few deities the Watcher will never see the knowledge of. Mysterious, known to talk in riddles.

Lord Kael
Titles include "Prince of Regret" "Penitent Prince" "King of Ice" "Void-Bearer" "Dying One"

The first non-prime deity created by the Prime Deity of Creation himself. One of 4 siblings. (Will go into more detail in the Myths section)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:14 am
Hierarchical Structure

Best described with flow-charts!

Things side by side are on roughly the same "tier" 3nodding

Of Entities

Arrows are there to show what gives rise to what.
User Image

IMPORTANT NOTE: All groups except Prime Deities can give rise to entities of their own group.

Of Organization

Arrows signify which groups supervise and give rise to which other groups.
User Image

On Council Members and Founders:
Council Members approve Founders of the Way from amongst their own ranks, and amongst the Elders. However, they first have to be sponsored by an already existing Founder.

Founders individually promote Elders to positions on the Council.

Both systems have specific criteria for acceptance. Council members can approve Founders, and Founders can create their own groups.

The system is one of apprenticeship, Elders and above not requiring masters, each group requiring masters of the tier above them. I.e. Walkers under Watchers and Watchers under Elders.

Walkers are, basically, the initiates. Watchers are the 2nd tier initiates who have completed the prerequisites for advancement. To become an Elder, a personal vouch is needed by one's master (There have been several notable exceptions to this).  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:16 am
Myths

The 4 Children of Creation

Shortly after his inception, Creation decided he would attempt to make some beings much like himself. Deciding that this would be his greatest work, he quickly sired 4 children from whatever he could find. With a handful of snow he formed Lord Kael, from the essence of air he breathed life into the Cloud Walker, from the dirt itself he forged the Prince of Stone, and from the soul of fire he burned away the chaff to reveal the Burning Mistress.

Each one of the four had a measure of their father's power, and the instinct to create. Lord Kael created a people of great intellect and knowledge from the water around him, the Cloud Walker used his beloved clouds to create a tribe of nomads, the Prince of Stone carved his industrious and stalwart people from the face of the oldest rock he could find, and the Burning Mistress formed flames into passionate warriors.

Unfortunately, Creation's 4 children were imperfect in their creation. Lord Kael created his people with hearts as cold as his own, the Cloud Walker's people quickly scattered across the sky, never wanting to stay in one place, the Prince of Stone's people grew greedy, lusting after the precious stones they found in their home, and the Burning Mistress' people were short tempered.

Over time the Prince of Stone and his people's wealth was no longer enough for them, and they started raiding the Burning Mistress' people. Lord Kael, despite his fondness for his sister, refused to join in what he saw as a meaningless and pathetic fued.

Eventually the Prince of Stone managed to overthrow the Burning Mistress. Lord Kael stepped in at this point to attempt to break up the fued once and for all. Unfortunately, by the time he got to his sister's palace, she was dead, her body pinned to the wall by the Prince of Stone's sword.

Enraged by the sight of what his brother had done, Lord Kael ripped his brother's blade out of the wall and charged towards his brother's home. The Prince of Stone's people tried to stop Lord Kael, but in his rage, he slew all that he came across, spreading a wave of destruction through the village. He eventually confronted his brother, easily overpowering him in battle, slaying him.

As Lord Kael left his brother's palace, he looked over the destruction he had caused and dropped to his knees, his wrath had passed. Stricken by grief at what he'd done in slaying his brother's people, he went to kill himself by his sword. His father showed up just in time, pulling the blade away from him. He cursed Lord Kael, pulling his aspect of creation from him, leaving him to die a slow and painful death for slaying his brother.

The Cloud Walker, seeing this, took pity on his brother and carried him across the sky back to Lord Kael's home. Lord Kael's people forged bandages out of Lord Kael's pain, sorrow, and grief at what he'd done, and wrapped the parts of him that had already been affected by the curse. The bandages managed to slow the curse almost to a halt.

After Lord Kael recovered his strength, he went into self-imposed exile, vowing never to return until he'd paid pennance for his actions. Always carrying his brother's cursed sword with him as a reminder of what he'd lost because of his inaction.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:19 am
Description of Deities and Entities

Non-Prime Entities

(Instead of go into lists here, I'll give quick descriptions of the terms 3nodding )

A non-prime entity is basically any living non-divine entity who is also not a prime entity. For example, both humans and spirits would fall under such a category. The means of their creation/existence doesn't really matter for their designation in this group.

Prime Entities

Any non-divine entity who is also a prime. Most of said entities appear to have little in the way of intelligence and seem motivated purely by instinct. For example, whilst the Prime Deity Destruction would make sure he didn't destroy too much so that his existence would be self-defeating, the Prime Entity of the same name would destroy everything in its sight, whether or not it would lead to its own eventual decrease in influence.

Prime Deities

Any deity given rise by a Prime Entity. Think of them as the intelligence behind the instinct. To an extent they have dominion over the actions of their corresponding Prime Entity. Where a Prime Entity is driven solely by instinct, a Prime Deity is driven also by intelligence.

Non-Prime Deities

Any deity not given rise by a Prime Entity. Deities that are born, created, or ascended would fall under this. Interesting thing to note, Prime Deities can give rise to Non-Prime Deities (as per the myth of the 4 children of Creation).

Independent Deities

A sub-sect of Non-Prime Deities. Under this group are contained all deities brought about via creation, birth or rebirth. The only Deities not considered part of this group would be Ascended Deities.

Ascended Deities

Any non-prime entity that was seen as worthy enough to be granted godhood by a respective Prime Deity or Independent Deity. The Watcher of the Way and the Prince of Masks would both fall under this.

(For further info, see the Doctrine of Ascension section)*

*Not added yet.  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:21 am
Rites and Magic in Religious Context

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:22 am
Ways

A quick overview of a "way"

Ways are specific "paths" of knowledge. Generally, when one becomes a Watcher of the Way, they'll be asked which Way they want to be a part of. To an extent it's a specialization of knowledge, a statement of what one would like to learn about above all else. Multiples can be chosen, but are generally discouraged.

Each Way was at one point created by a Founder who had a good deal of knowledge on the subject the Way represents. A Way only exist so long as there is at least one Watcher or above still on that Way. For instance, if the Founder of that Way were to die, or renounce his position, and there was only one Watcher of the Way on that same Way*, it would continue on until either the Watcher renounced his position or exercised his right to change to another Way.

*Note: This has only occurred once that I am aware of, and the Watcher in question stayed on his Way.

If a Founder dies/renounces his position, the Ways which he created are either taken up by another Founder on the same way, otherwise they default to the Gazing God's authority, at which point he is considered the leader of the Way until such time as a member on that Way reaches the position of Founder.  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:23 am
Doctrines

Doctrine of prior knowledge:

This is, basically, the teaching that a person collects intrinsic or instinctual knowledge over a period of life-times. For instance, in one life someone is a famous scholar, the scholar would retain the knowledge he picked up in his previous life, however he would be unable to consciously notice/utilize that knowledge. However, he may intrinsically be able to understand concepts he has previously learned easier than everyone else around him.

One of a Watcher's main objectives is to unlock and add to this prior knowledge, until their understanding and knowledge is great enough to warrant the Gazing God granting them ascension*.

Also note, there is some disagreement about whether this only occurs after one becomes a Watcher, or is intrinsic to all living beings, and whether or not one is "drawn" back to the Way they were previously on.

*See Doctrine of Reincarnation and Doctrine of Ascension for more info.

Doctrine of Ascension:

The teaching that with the collection of enough knowledge, the Gazing God will grant one of his followers godhood. The exact details of this are in dispute, with the two main beliefs being that one would become a completely autonomous deity, and the other being that one would become a deity bound directly to the Gazing God.

This teaching is, to some extent, explicitly alluded to in the oaths*

*Please note, I cannot go into exact details about this part further than I already have, as it would be (at least) toeing the line of breaking my oaths.

Doctrine of Reincarnation:

There isn't much to note about this doctrine, and a great deal of it is in dispute, so I'll just cover the biggies.

Essentially the doctrine that one is endlessly reincarnated with their prior knowledge. Parts currently in dispute include whether this is intrinsic to all beings, or merely to Watchers (I am inclined to the latter), whether this is concrete (for instance, is it necessarily true, or could one still enter into other afterlives etc.), and the exact extent of one's prior knowledge (heavily dependent upon whether it is intrinsic to all beings or just Watchers).  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:24 am
Reserved

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:40 am
And we're open for posting people 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:13 am
Interesting Creation story!
Is this the path of your family? Are there other participants in this path?  

Gho the Girl

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:18 am
Gho the Girl

Naw, it's not a familial path. And last I heard there were, but I've been somewhat out of contact for a fair bit over a year.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:29 am
Cyrus the Elder
Gho the Girl

Naw, it's not a familial path. And last I heard there were, but I've been somewhat out of contact for a fair bit over a year.
I see *nods* Never heard of it, I'm really intrigued to read whatever else you put in here 3nodding  

Gho the Girl

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:30 am
Gho the Girl
I see *nods* Never heard of it, I'm really intrigued to read whatever else you put in here 3nodding

Not really surprised, twas tiny 3nodding  
PathWays

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces