Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
You have no idea what you're messing with!!! Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:27 pm
So, last night I had a dream, involving magic, where someone told me that I couldn't possibly understand the forces I was dealing with.

Which got me thinking, every time someone brings up things like the occult, magic, Ouija boards, or sometimes meditation, there's always someone who's screaming about demons and crazy things that happen to unsuspecting people because they were messing with the wrong things. Sometimes it's to scare people out of it, sometimes it's from "experienced" people shaking their heads at the "n00bs" who they think are going to end up possessed.

So, when exactly do you know what you're messing with? Have you ever had any issues where you really didn't know what you were dealing with? And have you ever tried to scare someone out of doing something, because you thought that they were dealing with forces beyond their control?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:35 pm
AniMajor
So, when exactly do you know what you're messing with?

Enter Tea's standard post number 5B:
Depends on the Tradition, Depends on the Being, Depends on the Practitioner.

Some traditions have their beings, prescribed methods for work and the expectations of the quality of individuals called to the tradition nailed down pat. Wica and OTO come to mind.

Some traditions are more vague. Lore indicates a diverse personality spectrum for a given individual or group that has more variables than a bound nature present in some traditions Deities and Otherlings.

Sometimes you can't fix stupid. No matter how iron tight the system is, how clear the other two factors are- the individual seeking to practice isn't competent.
Quote:

Have you ever had any issues where you really didn't know what you were dealing with?
Once or twice. Mostly because I was cut off from family members who were supposed to help me.

Quote:

And have you ever tried to scare someone out of doing something, because you thought that they were dealing with forces beyond their control?
Yep. Though it's more of a warning than an attempt at psychologically screwing them.
Less "Ooooo! The Mean ol' Demon will eat you!" and more of "You're an idiot. You're going to make a mess. This is how the mess will play out. I don't want to clean it up- so knock it off."  

TeaDidikai

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:50 pm
TeaDidikai
Yep. Though it's more of a warning than an attempt at psychologically screwing them.
Less "Ooooo! The Mean ol' Demon will eat you!" and more of "You're an idiot. You're going to make a mess. This is how the mess will play out. I don't want to clean it up- so knock it off."

Obviously there's some question as to whether the person can actually do it, given their skill level, because if someone says they're going to raise the dead, it's most likely not going to happen.

But would skill level kinda exclude someone from messing with things they can't handle because they can't even access things they can't handle? I mean, sure, most people can't handle drinking drain cleaner even if they have access to it, but if you're too young to understand why, you're most likely too young to open the bottle, lift it, and drink it.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:03 pm
AniMajor
Obviously there's some question as to whether the person can actually do it, given their skill level, because if someone says they're going to raise the dead, it's most likely not going to happen.
Less concerned with that kind of stuff. More concerned with what they could do if they over reached.  

TeaDidikai

Autumnal Light

3,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:46 pm
TeaDidikai
AniMajor
Less concerned with that kind of stuff. More concerned with what they could do if they over reached.

Could you specify what you mean by "over reached"?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:44 pm
Depending on exactly what they are messing around with, I'm usually more concerned that someone will succeed. If someone is just playing around, they may go in with a mind set of, "oh this won't really work...so it doesn't really matter what I'm doing". Most of the time if it doesn't work, then there is nothing to worry about, but it's when they haven't bothered to think through their actions and consequences, and it does work that there tends to be problems - if nothing else because they really weren't prepared for anything to happen and don't know how to handle it now that it has.  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:12 pm
It depends. Virtually every path I can think of has at least some areas where it is unwise or dangerous to tread. Some beings that are dangerous or unwise to involve yourself with. And some practices that are the same.

You just need to research as much as you can and be very careful when using the techniques of a given path.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:29 pm
mute_coyote
TeaDidikai
AniMajor

Could you specify what you mean by "over reached"?
The Spiritual equivalent of Jack a**.

Within the realm of what is possible, but not in the realm of what they can control.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:48 am
I guess the best analogy is that I don't worry about the four year old's soufflé falling. I worry about them pulling the pot with the boiling water down on their heads.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:54 pm
Somewhat tangental: how do you respond to someone giving out dire warnings like that? I ask because my mother when she was younger actually did the equivalent of pulling the boiling pot of water down on herself and now goes on about "not inviting that into your life." At least I think that's what happened, she's rather incoherant whenever she gets on the subject and I never know what to say.

Now, whatever happened obviously freaked her out, but I can never tell how seriously to take her since she always ends with painting everything with the brush of her bad experience.  

Oniko-inuki

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:11 pm
AniMajor
So, last night I had a dream, involving magic, where someone told me that I couldn't possibly understand the forces I was dealing with.

I suggest you listen.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:16 pm
Hm, good question. I like to keep things simple. I follow my instinsts and what my higher powers tell me, or try to tell me, (stubborn nature can be one of my weaknesses at times)

Other than that I guess it's just a hope and a prayer, that's why some magic shouldnt be messed around with until you are positive you can handle it. I mean, you mess with realiy with magic, your mind has to handle some wicked bends as you delve deeper.  

Satrevi

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:57 pm
One of my thoughtform spirits, who for the purposes of this discussion will be named "Drake" has recently stepped up activity in my life. Generally it's positive, but Drake has a vast dark side (which since he's a thoughtform comes from my own darkside).

Every so often, if I think too much of him, I'll have some unnerving experiences, and I don't know if I'm going crazy or what.

I'm not comfortable enough to go into detail here in this public thread.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:09 pm
I've made past mistakes even touching certain Aspects and the marks are still on me for it. And there are others who paid for my mistakes as well.

So being careful and being cautious is unbelievably necessary. Sometimes keeping your hands off is a good idea too.  

Recursive Paradox

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:19 pm
Recursive Paradox
I've made past mistakes even touching certain Aspects and the marks are still on me for it. And there are others who paid for my mistakes as well.

So being careful and being cautious is unbelievably necessary. Sometimes keeping your hands off is a good idea too.
*nods* For now I'm treading carefully.

I was thinking of getting tattoos to memorialise Drake on my body, but with my most recent interactions, as much as I love him, I'm not sure he'd be a good constant influence like that.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff