Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
What was your Gateway Manga/Anime? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FOOLY-bloo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:05 pm
Gateway Anime/Manga. Similar to a Gateway Drug. It's the first anime/manga that really got you started on your path to loving anime/manga. Does not include a(n) anime/manga that you saw that did not get you interested in anime/manga. Like...I saw Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Pokemon when I was little, but it wasn't until I read Fruits Basket that I really got interested in anime/manga.

All of these dashes are making me nauseous...  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:43 pm
"Seriousness is the refuge of the shallow."

Hmm... I think my gateway was, I kid you not, Love Hina, the manga.
And then I just started reading and watching more and more. Mostly reading though, I still prefer manga over anime. My gateway anime (which also got me interested in BL) was Cardcaptor Sakura. I was like, 12 at the time, and Touya and Yukito were just ~SO~ cute ^__^ They aired it on the local kid's channel, and since this was Sweden, it was the uncensored, original Japanese version with subs. This is also why I still have trouble watching dubs, since I grew up with subtitles.
- Oscar Wilde.

User_2629207

Pretty Pretty Priceless

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:01 pm
S a f f r o n S u g a r

And then I just started reading and watching more and more. Mostly reading though, I still prefer manga over anime. My gateway anime (which also got me interested in BL) was Cardcaptor Sakura. I was like, 12 at the time, and Touya and Yukito were just ~SO~ cute ^__^ They aired it on the local kid's channel, and since this was Sweden, it was the uncensored, original Japanese version with subs. This is also why I still have trouble watching dubs, since I grew up with subtitles.
- Oscar Wilde.
Love Hina for me as well manga wise.
I used to watch DBZ, pokemon, Cardcaptors (as it was called in the states)

Heh little did I know it would head me down the path to the darkside....luckly I've made my way back up from the weeaboo pit.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:18 am
XIII falling stars
S a f f r o n S u g a r

- Oscar Wilde.

Heh little did I know it would head me down the path to the darkside....luckly I've made my way back up from the weeaboo pit.

*shudder* The weeaboo pit... such horrendous memories were made there...
- Oscar Wilde.

User_2629207

Lady Gyrfalcon
Crew

Dapper Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:04 am
S a f f r o n S u g a r
XIII falling stars
S a f f r o n S u g a r

- Oscar Wilde.

- Oscar Wilde.

Hehe, I spent almost every single weeaboo point I ever had back whe I was still a member of the SasuNaru guild. *Shudders.* But at least I never got around outside there and drove anyone to distraction. 8D

As for my gateway to anime and manga, it was the mangled version of CCS known as "Cardcaptors" and, strangely enough, my interest in the art style that was used in the illustrations for the Golden Sun games.
Because that's almost typical of me, really. Getting into manga and all that because of a video game. lol  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:57 pm
Sailor Moon. I guess the only things that may separate me from the other 8 million is I saw it a year before it aired in US and Sailor Moon was also my Gateway yaoi.  

latitude_cat

6,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Invisibility 100

Erandir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:32 pm
Hmm. Probably Dragonball Z. When I learned that it was actually a sequel series I started buying the manga for Dragonball. But that was so long ago I could be wrong.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:12 pm
It was Cardcaptor Sakura for me. I remembered watching Cardcaptors when I was really young. Anyways, one day, I went with my mom and her boyfriend to, and I kid you not, an electronics store where they had the Cardcaptor Sakura manga. So I bought it!  

pixie_cc

Familiar Dabbler

8,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

User_2629207

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:56 pm
Lady Gyrfalcon
S a f f r o n S u g a r
XIII falling stars
S a f f r o n S u g a r

- Oscar Wilde.

- Oscar Wilde.

Hehe, I spent almost every single weeaboo point I ever had back whe I was still a member of the SasuNaru guild. *Shudders.* But at least I never got around outside there and drove anyone to distraction. 8D

As for my gateway to anime and manga, it was the mangled version of CCS known as "Cardcaptors" and, strangely enough, my interest in the art style that was used in the illustrations for the Golden Sun games.
Because that's almost typical of me, really. Getting into manga and all that because of a video game. lol

*snort* sasunaru guild xD Delicious blackmail material! 8D *evil snickering*

It seems CCS was a big factor for most of us :3 Oh, Clamp, it's all your fault heart

; ^ ; I wasn't allowed video games when I was younger *sob* I had a terrible childhood. All I got was Super Mario Bros. And that didn't have very nice artwork in it xD
- Oscar Wilde.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:23 am
S a f f r o n S u g a r
Lady Gyrfalcon
S a f f r o n S u g a r
XIII falling stars
S a f f r o n S u g a r

- Oscar Wilde.

- Oscar Wilde.

It seems CCS was a big factor for most of us :3 Oh, Clamp, it's all your fault heart

; ^ ; I wasn't allowed video games when I was younger *sob* I had a terrible childhood. All I got was Super Mario Bros. And that didn't have very nice artwork in it xD
- Oscar Wilde.
You poor dear.
My dad got me a sega genesis when I was four, that threw down the gamer spiral for sure.
Although all I really knew was sonic. (not a furry! scream ....even though I kinda like them gonk )

"Wheres my ******** genesis!" - Charles Hamilton (Yeah this is off topic, but seriously if you like rap and hip hop music look this guy up, he did a song sampling a sonic level.)  

Pretty Pretty Priceless

User_2629207

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:03 pm
XIII falling stars
S a f f r o n S u g a r
Lady Gyrfalcon
S a f f r o n S u g a r
XIII falling stars
S a f f r o n S u g a r

- Oscar Wilde.

- Oscar Wilde.

- Oscar Wilde.
You poor dear.
My dad got me a sega genesis when I was four, that threw down the gamer spiral for sure.
Although all I really knew was sonic. (not a furry! scream ....even though I kinda like them gonk )

"Wheres my ******** genesis!" - Charles Hamilton (Yeah this is off topic, but seriously if you like rap and hip hop music look this guy up, he did a song sampling a sonic level.)

My parents said it was bad for me sad No Pokemon, either. I ended up being a pretty messed up kid, though, so it obviously backfired 8D
- Oscar Wilde.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:17 pm
I believe my gateway was Tenchi Muyo, an anime that didn't seem to spend every episode stuffing my face full of dialog like Dragon Ball Z, I was able to keep on to the storyline with interest until I developed into an epitomal harem character myself. xB

I kid...slightly. Though it definitely was able to get me in further than any other anime had done before so that I ended up hitting the store and taking my chance with Ranma 1/2 and I've been forward from there. I was able to dodge any weeaboo status thanks entirely to the first anime guild I did being filled with them and what few people who were cool retreating to a non-anime related section. Thus it became this love we all shared, but did not let control our diction. >>

Though I do believe I was gatewayed into Yaoi as well. DN Angel, while I have been absolutely screwed to keeping to the storyline(something I wish to change if I can only find a torrent worth a damn by the end) I knew after I felt that awkward connection with Daisuke (which more than one person has compared me to sans the thief training) past the necessary straight pairing I always felt that he and Satoshi were meant for each other. My wish for it to occur lead to me finding someplace where it didn't just tease me. Starting with Only the Ring Finger Knows.

Through the gateway and onto the reality.  

Ceveo

Marjosa

Sparkly Fairy

9,000 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:51 pm
It would have to be Sailor Moon. After that, I was just crazy about anime/manga.

My gateway into slash was Gundam Wing. I remember the first PWP lemon I read for the 1x2 pairing. <3 After that, I was crazy about yaoi/slash. XD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:11 am
I've always loved anime. When I was younger I watched everything from Pokemon and Sailor Moon to Tenchi Muyo and Dragon Ball. But I didn't start actively seaking anime (instead of watching whatever was on tv) until I'd started watching Inuyasha. So, that was my gateway druganime.  

Rotten Lina

Anxious Bloodsucker

7,250 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Ojou-sama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:36 pm
Manga wise, what really got me stuck to it was Petshop of Horrors!
Anime wise, was Revolutionary Girl Utena and Magic Knights Rayearth!  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff