Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
When does Ecclecticism become it's own thing? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:14 am
So, as I've been going down my own path, I've been moving away from using the symbols of others, changing names, titles, creating my own symbols, and even discovering my own ideas and philosophies, or at least I think I am (read an article in cracked which showed how I could be thinking I'm coming up with stuff when I'm actually not, so I can't be totally certain I am XP )

So, my question is, is there a point where something that starts ecclectic, if evolved enough, becomes something of it's own nature? Where is that line?

I don't know if it's appropriate for me to call myself an ecclectic pagan.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:40 pm
I'm pretty sure that as long as your path still contains defined items from other cultures and religions it would be considered eclectic.

If you start moving away from those items and building different concepts on your own, based on your own philosophical logic and UPG, then I could see you not regarding your path as eclectic anymore.  

Recursive Paradox

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:00 pm
Recursive Paradox
I'm pretty sure that as long as your path still contains defined items from other cultures and religions it would be considered eclectic.

If you start moving away from those items and building different concepts on your own, based on your own philosophical logic and UPG, then I could see you not regarding your path as eclectic anymore.
Define "defined items from other cultures and religions"  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:50 pm
Gho the Girl

So, my question is, is there a point where something that starts ecclectic, if evolved enough, becomes something of it's own nature?
... Like Wica?
Quote:

Where is that line?
When it becomes a codified system. See- things may be eclectic in inception, but eclecticism is a state of being, not a title within the pagan scene.

Quote:
I don't know if it's appropriate for me to call myself an ecclectic pagan.
I think that you're still in the process of developing internal consistency and cosmology, so I would say it's fine for now, and you may even apply it at a later date.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:58 am
Hmmm. That might mean I need to stop referring to myself as Eclectic when discussing Etherism anymore.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:24 pm
Recursive Paradox
Hmmm. That might mean I need to stop referring to myself as Eclectic when discussing Etherism anymore.
Potentially.

Myself, I'd likely go with "A branch of neo-paganism known as Etherism" were I in your place.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:17 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
Potentially.

Myself, I'd likely go with "A branch of neo-paganism known as Etherism" were I in your place.

That works.

Wow... I founded a path. o_O  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:18 pm
Recursive Paradox

That works.

Does this mean you have to make your hair look funny or wear silly hats?  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:41 am
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

That works.

I sure hope not o_o

I like my hair and the only hat I have is a fedora.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:56 pm
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

That works.

I sure hope not o_o

I like my hair and the only hat I have is a fedora.
Dude, that would be awesome religious wear: fedoras.  

Gho the Girl

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:03 pm
Gho the Girl
Dude, that would be awesome religious wear: fedoras.
I actually replaced the hat I use as part of my more mystic costuming. I wonder if I still have the pic of the old one...

It's a lovely rabbit fur pork-pie styled number. I can't say I'm fond of the current feather- I may be able to find a new one soon- but somewhere I have a tuft of squirrel fur that I plan to tuck in.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:22 am
Recursive Paradox

That makes sense.
I think that if a lot of people decided to follow the same idea it might be more simply for being a group. You know?  

Movin on Up

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:08 pm
Movin on Up
Recursive Paradox

That makes sense.
I think that if a lot of people decided to follow the same idea it might be more simply for being a group. You know?
I'm afraid I disagree with both of you.

Things can transition from Eclectic to independent and new traditions. Case in point: Wica.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:23 am
TeaDidikai
Movin on Up
Recursive Paradox

That makes sense.

Things can transition from Eclectic to independent and new traditions. Case in point: Wica.

I um... already abandoned that argument in favor of your later one in this thread...

Otherwise I would have defended my old one when you disagreed earlier. >.>  

Recursive Paradox

Movin on Up

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:36 am
TeaDidikai
Movin on Up
Recursive Paradox

That makes sense.

I guess. But even if your group's new thing is mostly just a copy of one something else, you might get to call it a new sect.

Kinda like how I get the impression that a lot of Zen Buddhism came from Taoism and some local tribe stuff.

I see where youre coming from by saying it needs to be codified and all. But nothing is really done being codified. The Pope still makes proclamations, new Baptist-knockoffs with their own spin set up everyday. If you live in the right part of the bible belt, you can watch religions evolve if you pay attention! The only reason something like that wouldnt change is if its already dead.

So where do we draw the line?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces