Asian traditions/superstitions? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sesshomaruka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:35 pm
im not sure if "traditions" is the right word ><
lol i just came up with this randomly, but does your family have any certain "traditions" ?

some random filipino traditions

examples.

my mom said that baby's were suppost to cut their hair untill they were passed one year old

my mom said was that if you got a pimple/acne it means your in love, or have a crush

filipina's usually celebrate there 18th birthday at a hall (debu)

saying "kuyu, atte, tita, lola, lolo"
(respectful of saying like brother, sister, aunt, mom ect.)

so those are just random ones that came up in my head, so what are your family traditions ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:12 pm
Sesshomaruka

my mom said was that if you got a pimple/acne it means your in love, or have a crush

Haahahha. That's what my mom said too! When I was 12, I had a pimple right on the middle of my nose. >_< My mom kept on saying
"Meg's in Love"
So many times! It's a pimple for crying out loud!

Yeah and saying [Kuya, Ate, Poh, Lolo, Lola etc.] It's meant for respect, but I just say it because everyone else does.

In every special occasion, it's good luck to always have noodles[pancit, palabok, etc.] I always see them at birthdays and parties.

We have to learn how to take care of our siblings at a young age, learn how to cook, learn how to do things and what a mother does...[Really annoying] Not really meant a tradition, depends on mother..

Hmm...If I forgot anything, any other Filipino is welcome to add more in their own post. ^-^  

M e e G g y

MsPearfruit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:14 pm
I know that the number 4 is considered unlucky.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:53 pm
my mom said "if you right eye move by themself,bad luck is coming,but if left eye move,then good luck is coming" .....idk @.@  

sea-rover

Ruby Red Lipz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:54 am
if you mean superstitions then yeah, my mum is crazy superstitious ;S
these are some she tells me:

- don't walk over someone why they are laying on the ground because it is like walking on their grave

- don't sweep at night for it's a bad luck and no cutting toe nails during night time either, or your loved ones will be harmed

- no opening umbrellas or wearing hats indoors

- don't sleep with your feet opposite the door or you are waiting to die

- turn your plates whenever someone leaves the table during a meal. By turning your plates, you were ensuring that the individual who left the table would arrive at their destination safely

-if you find a black/blue mark on any part of the body without knowing how it was caused means that a spirit touched you

- jump as high as you can as much times during new year to help you grow taller, oh and wear circles so you'll money this year?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:51 am
My mom never lets me stick chopsticks straight into my food. She says it has something to do with the Japanese funerals and bones... or something. XD  

Rio

hikari megumi 15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:39 pm
adults are supposedly the most wisest and most respected people in my ethnicity. They can smack you silly if they want to and you can't do anything about it. gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:06 pm
For Filipino traditions, don't forget that kids perform manopo towards elders as a greeting, sign of respect, and as a good-bye (sometimes referred to as mano.).

Chinese Chami

x-0Rena_Kunisaki0-x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:16 pm
Well let's see.
Ummmm. Oh yeah!
If an elder gives you money you give it to your parents.
At least I think that's how it is.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:31 pm
Sesshomaruka
im not sure if "traditions" is the right word ><
lol i just came up with this randomly, but does your family have any certain "traditions" ?

some random filipino traditions

examples.

my mom said that baby's went suppost to cut their hair untill they were passed one year old

filipina's usually celebrate there 18th birthday at a hall (debu)

saying "kuya, ate, tita, lola, lolo"
(respectful of saying like brother, sister, aunt, mom ect.)

so those are just random ones that came up in my head, so what are your family traditions ?

the acne one and the baby-cut-hair-when-one-year-old is like a superstitious belief or sumthing. i knew a lot of superstitious belief here in the philipines, grandparents usually warn you not to do those stuff and like you'll roll your eyes. haha xd

saying "kuya, ate, tita, lola, lolo" is like showing respect to your elders, it's really a family tradition wherever you go here in the phils.. filipinos are very respectful. xd

julie-says-WHAAAT

kanin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:44 am
Noodles for long life, every birthday. haha

A lot of my cousins forgot manopo, but I still do it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:48 pm
kanin
Noodles for long life, every birthday. haha

Yea noodles for long life! & u can't cut the noodles or else you won't hav a long life..
Also.....no cleaning on Chinese New Year
& if u eat leftovers of a little bit.....they say that the person u marry will be ugly?  

kuinluvsnear

o-re-sa-ma_Elegance

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:40 pm
Ruby Red Lipz

- don't sleep with your feet opposite the door or you are waiting to die

sooo sleep with my feet pointing at the door or not?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:15 am
uhm. there's this belief that you should not wear nor fit your wedding gown before you get married coz they say that it's bad luck for the marriage. you both might end up separating or something. xd

idk, if it's true but if i ever get married someday i'll fit my wedding gown! i want to look fab for my wedding day y'now, lmao rofl

julie-says-WHAAAT

kahye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:08 pm
My mom used to tell me that if I didn't finish all the rice in my bowl, my husband would have a ugly face razz  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff