The truth behind other faiths. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:27 pm
Before I start my post, allow me to say this: I firmly believe that Jesus Christ is the savior, send by God to forgive us of our sins. Because of this, I am a Christian, obviously.

However, I'm curious as to everyone elses views of the validity of other faith systems. Recently I've seen more and more people discussion and questioning if there are many faiths, that all simply worship the same God. So that would imply that Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Shintos, native religions, and almost every other faith is simply worshipping God in their own way.

So what do you think- are people of other faiths completely wrong? Just a little misguided? Or are they also on the right track- just like us?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:40 pm
I don't think that's the case with all of them, but maybe a few. Some of them have more then one god, or pay homage to spirits which I wouldn't imagine is any different then worshiping the golden calf. And there are those that even think of themselves as their own gods.

In the case of religions like Muslims and such, I think they worship the same God but they are missing that one key element. As to how that effects their relationship with Him, I can make my guesses but really, it's not for me to say. I think that's just between them and God.

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:24 pm
Jesus says "i am the way the truth and the light, none come to the father but by me" and "the path to heaven is a narrow one" so how can there be other religions that are true?

also the muslim 'god' allah is completely different from the one and only God. Allah is distant and uncaring, where God is Close to us, and loving to us.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:59 pm
'Allah' is really just the Arabic word for God. They have 99 names for Him, including al-rahman (the merciful) and al-rahim (the compassionate), which doesn't sound distant and uncaring to me.  

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:08 pm
when does a name describe someone? and yes i know what Allah means.

Did Allah come to earth and die for them? nope. Did allah say he'd whipe the tears from their eyes? nope, he said that ud get up to heaven and get 72 virgins(which sounds to me like sayin "hey have this and be gone") =P How do you get to heaven? in the most cruel way possible, your good vs your evil, which evil will always win because we have a sinfull nature. no matter what it seems like hes saying there(i dont want any of u with me) throughout the whole Koran(besides the beginning where its just a copy of the old testiment basically) he seems distant and uncaring.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:57 pm
I never said that they were traveling the right road. But they have the same deity in their sights. It's like traveling to Cleveland (don't ask me, just the first place that popped into my head). Two people could both be heading for the same city but take different routes. One route is the right, the other will lead them elsewhere. They both have their sights on the same place, it's just that one of them is following bad directions.  

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:29 pm
Kain1334
when does a name describe someone? and yes i know what Allah means.

Did Allah come to earth and die for them? nope. Did allah say he'd whipe the tears from their eyes? nope, he said that ud get up to heaven and get 72 virgins(which sounds to me like sayin "hey have this and be gone") =P How do you get to heaven? in the most cruel way possible, your good vs your evil, which evil will always win because we have a sinfull nature. no matter what it seems like hes saying there(i dont want any of u with me) throughout the whole Koran(besides the beginning where its just a copy of the old testiment basically) he seems distant and uncaring.

Actually, when the Bible was written, names almost always described a person. Adam- man. Eve- mother (I think, I might be wrong). Jacob (Yacov)- he laughs/he grasps the heal (figuratively, he cheats). Esau (Edom)- Hairy and red, respectively. This is why, when God wanted to symbolize a change in a person, He gave them a new name. The new name was meant to describe who they were as a result of their commitment to Yahweh.

Take God's own Name for example. I am I am. That is His Name. But it also describes Him. He is.

Now, to address your statements about Islam. Have you ever actually read the Koran? Personally, I haven't read the entire thing, but I browsed through a copy in my school's library for something I might be able to use during my thesis, and found that Allah and OT God seem pretty much the same. Powerful, strongly opposing those who disobey, but also deeply devoted to those He called His own.

AND THE KORAN MAKES NOT ONE SINGLE MENTION OF 72 VIRGINS. Please do your research on other religions before you go making claims about them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:15 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly

AND THE KORAN MAKES NOT ONE SINGLE MENTION OF 72 VIRGINS.

Besides, what man in his right mind, after a hard, horrible battle, would then want to hang out with that many blushing, inexperienced women and have to go through a hard, horrible night for the next 72 nights? wink

Islam isn't fundamentally a bad religion. In fact, the Islamic church largely believes Christianity and Judism to be as equally valid as their own beliefs. Mohammed reputedly called the other two religions "Children of the Book" during the time with the Muslims were going through their 'convert or die' phase and ordered his people not to lay a hand to a Christian or a Jew. THIS is a nice list of similarities and differences between Muslim faith and Christian faith. They even follow their lineage back to Abraham, except that Ishmael is the son that they trace through rather than Isaac.

As to the three religions that worship the same God... Honestly, I think that the Muslims have their own thing worked out with Him. And I believe that the Jews still have a special place in God's heart, and that he still has plans for them.

I also believe that a non-Christian can be a tool of God and not even know it. Ghandi, for example, had such a light burning in him. Could he go to the heaven that we believe is strictly for Christians? Possible, I think.  

Xandris

CrystalMind

Familiar Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:40 pm
My personal belief is that most religions share a basic thought. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, we all probably have the same God in our sights, but most people are lost.

Following the idea in Ixor-san's analogy...

Imagine a large group of people wandering around in the wilderness. All of them believe that somewhere in the distance is the City of the King. Every one of these people knows that they can live peacefully in the City of the King if they can only figure out where the City is.

Of course, it is impossible to find the City on their own, because it's hidden from the eyes of those without a pass.

The people were promised that a Guide would meet them before they began their journey, so they decide to wait before setting out. Eventually, a new man shows up to point out the road. Some of the people believe him, some of them don't. Those that decide to follow the Guide (Christians) are on the right path. They will eventually arrive in the City of the king, but their brothers who ignored the message continue to mill around aimlessly, waiting for the Guide to show up. (Jews)

Over time, various people proclaim themselves to be 'guides', and lead other parts of the group away in an attempt to find the City of the King. Some simply point out a path, others will wander in whatever direction suites them best. Some will even decide that the City is something that they have to build in the field, that the King doesn't exist. Because the City is hidden, none of them will reach their destination. (Everybody else, since I don't know enough about other faiths to give a case-by-case example for each one).

The only one with the Keys to the City is the Guide promised by the King, (Jesus). The Guide will lead the people to the City, and let them in through the gates, but only if they follow him willingly.

It's simplistic and rambling, but I hope it makes a general kind of sense.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 am
Kain1334
Jesus says "i am the way the truth and the light, none come to the father but by me" and "the path to heaven is a narrow one" so how can there be other religions that are true?

This is why I take the view that Christianity is, under its facade of goodwill and acceptance, an inherently intolerant and divisive belief system.  

Galad Aglaron

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:17 am
Sorry I've been so absent from my own thread! My play is consuming my life... arg.

I agree with Fushigi on Islam. The Islamic fundamentalists make Muslims look back, just like extreme fundamentalist Christians make Christians as a whole look bad. I've read a good deal of excerts from the Koran, and many of the stories are the same, if not identical. They even honor Jesus as a great prophet, they just deny his divinity.

Ryuu, you bring up a question I was gonna ask as well. What about good people who just aren't Christians, but maybe devotees of another religion? We're studying Hinduism in my World Religions class right now, and I really, really love the philosphy of that religion. Many Hindu's would argue that we all are Hindus, so long as we're seeking God. They believe that you should seek God in a way that works for you, and it should be accepted so long as it's not harming anyone. Hinduism isn't really even polytheistic- it's monotheistic with their multiple gods acting more as the saints act in Catholicism. They mulitple gods reflect multiple facets and personalities of the one God. Most Hindu's would say Jesus would just be another facet of God.

Even practices like Buddhism is more of a lifestyle than a religion, and many Christians in Asia apply Buddhist philosophy, meditation techniques, and so on to their worship of God (We actually have a visiting professor this semester who's a Christian Buddhist. AWESOME).

I suppose I've always just had a problem with the idea of good people who simply aren't Christian going to hell, and I like to believe God is a little less black and white than that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:29 pm
Most Abrahamic Traditions come from the same sources, but with different views and come from different people with different ideas. The Quran, for example, does share many things in common with the Bible. Does not mean this is right. If we are to say it's wrong, I would say that it's misguided.

Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism are based less on god figures and more on ideas and social structures, patterns. I think of them as ideas and philosophies that the founders of sincerely believed would lead to something better.

Most Neopagan Religions are mixed mashed impure forms of pre Christian religions. Pretty much, to hard to go into detail. I think people get into these mostly because they like the idea of them... But most of these religions actually make little logical sense, so despite the fact that I should be more tolerant, I do sort of write them off as "Pure BS". Nothing against practicioners, though.

There are religions where the Gods and Spirits are more figures and archetypes in stories that teach morals and virtues. We should listen to those stories and love them, but not worship the gods.

Pretty much, while I believe Christianity is the one true faith, I see other religions as being good, wholesome ideas at time. SOmetimes just used to manipulate people. And sometimes, its not even about a religion as much as it is a lifestyle.  

Matt Pniewski

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:39 pm
Matt Pniewski
Most Abrahamic Traditions come from the same sources, but with different views and come from different people with different ideas. The Quran, for example, does share many things in common with the Bible. Does not mean this is right. If we are to say it's wrong, I would say that it's misguided.

Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism are based less on god figures and more on ideas and social structures, patterns. I think of them as ideas and philosophies that the founders of sincerely believed would lead to something better.

Most Neopagan Religions are mixed mashed impure forms of pre Christian religions. Pretty much, to hard to go into detail. I think people get into these mostly because they like the idea of them... But most of these religions actually make little logical sense, so despite the fact that I should be more tolerant, I do sort of write them off as "Pure BS". Nothing against practicioners, though.

There are religions where the Gods and Spirits are more figures and archetypes in stories that teach morals and virtues. We should listen to those stories and love them, but not worship the gods.

Pretty much, while I believe Christianity is the one true faith, I see other religions as being good, wholesome ideas at time. SOmetimes just used to manipulate people. And sometimes, its not even about a religion as much as it is a lifestyle.

Agreed on the Abrahamic and Asian religions, and I'm gonna lump Jainism in there with them.

I don't usually see a point to most people who practice neopaganism, it seems to me a lot of them life the stigma that comes with them. Though, if they genuinely feel closer to God and it builds their relationship with them, I suppose I can't argue with that too much, misguided though I may find it.

In general, I see most of the "major world religions" (Christianity, Judism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and maybe Shinto and Confucionism as well) as all kind of being on the right path. They all have goal kind of pointing to the same ideals (though Buddhism and Confuscionism are much more atheistic, which it a little off.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:35 pm
Off topic: I hate how Confuscianism gets labelled a world religion- it is not a religion, it's not even a spiritual model, it's a societal model. ><"

/off topic

On topic: Much of my theological view of late is actually based on the Hindu concept of "all faiths worship different facets of one God". In case you couldn't tell just from reading what I've been saying recently. sweatdrop

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:41 pm
I'm actually considering the possibility that one's religion is influenced mainly by the culture into which one is born or in which one is raised. Understanding particular religions only becomes easier if one is familiar with the cultures in which they feature primarily. It is easier to understand Christianity in the West, for example, due to the culture lending itself towards Christianity, which leads many people to be more receptive to Christian doctrine than the doctrine of other religions. The same example can be said of a country like India, where it is easier to understand Hinduism. The culture is Hindu, therefore the Indian people are more receptive to Hindu doctrine. Because each individual is able to experience consciousness of the world, their own lives and the lives of other people, somehow this is identified as some sort of spirituality which forms itself to fit with the religion in which the individual finds similarities with one's own experiences.

I don't know, they are a few thoughts I was having. sweatdrop

Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces