Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
GenderBenders? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gender Bending?
  Awesome!
  Not so awesome.
  Eh, it can be interesting.
View Results

Jaaku-san

Angelic Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:47 pm
When you see a fanfic that has your favorite couple, but one of them is the wrong gender, do you scream "Cop out!"? Do you wonder what a character would be like, realistically, if they were of the opposite sex? Do you just think something would be more entertaining if a character was the opposite sex?

In short, what you do think of Gender Bending?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:05 am
Yes I do. I mean take FMA for example, and make Ed female through some weird experiments of fall of events. Just think what it'd do to the whole Roy Mustang + Edward pairing. Awesome, isn't it?  

DarkAngelLilithX

6,875 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Katastrophic_Kate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:37 pm
It all depends on how the fic is written. I love exploring the idea of gender changes but only read the fics if that is their actual purpose. After a while it becomes pretty clear if the author is writing it in earnest or simply copping out.
My favorite is when they take two males and make them both female or vise-versa.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:00 am
I admit, gender bending is a guilty pleasure of mine. Be it turning guys into girls or girls into guys, I love to do it.  

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200

saturns_child

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:41 am
Katastrophic_Kate
It all depends on how the fic is written. I love exploring the idea of gender changes but only read the fics if that is their actual purpose. After a while it becomes pretty clear if the author is writing it in earnest or simply copping out.

I well have to agree with you on that. When I see that is gender bender the story has to be interesting enough for me to read it. If there is no plot then there is no point, to even see if the character is just a girl was some how changed into a girl. I have read my share FF Gender benders and loved them, Cloud boy or girl is still so very cute.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:48 pm
It depends on the writing, but otherwise I highly disagree. I have no attraction to female clothing on guys. I like my men well... men. I'm not into girls whatso ever. So placing a guy into girls clothing turns me off bigtime.  

Spontanious Alias

4,750 Points
  • Member 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150

latitude_cat

6,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:30 pm
Jaaku-san
When you see a fanfic that has your favorite couple, but one of them is the wrong gender, do you scream "Cop out!"? Do you wonder what a character would be like, realistically, if they were of the opposite sex? Do you just think something would be more entertaining if a character was the opposite sex?

In short, what you do think of Gender Bending?

I sometimes scream cop-out, but to each their own. I like yuri, yaoi and straight hentai, so it doesn't bother me. Sometimes, though, you can tell by the way it's written that someone was too chickenshit to actually write a yaoi and made it a straight pairing.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:17 am
I ignore genderbend yaoi fics.
It doesnt really work when youre looking for yaoi and end up having one of the characters turn female xd
Though if its crossdressing, then I'll read it.

Enzai Sebby3

FOOLY-bloo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:42 pm
I'm okay with mpreg. Yeah, I guess. (Not really). But only if the person has a decent plot to go on with it. I hate it when someone does it just for the character to get pregnant. It's on the same level as mpreg for me.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:17 pm
I'm okay with gender bending. I do it myself sometimes. As long as there is a logical reason for them to have changed genders (if it's in the middle of the story). In my case, the gender change is evident from the beginning and is just the same story, just from the point of view of the main characters being women instead of men.  

Broken Hearted Hiei

TwEAT_Me_417

Hilarious Sophomore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:21 pm
Spontanious Alias
It depends on the writing, but otherwise I highly disagree. I have no attraction to female clothing on guys. I like my men well... men. I'm not into girls whatso ever. So placing a guy into girls clothing turns me off bigtime.

I agree  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:03 pm
I'm not gonna lie.
I like it......a lot.

More so in real life than yaoi...but it's good there too.
I have a bit of a fetish I guess you'd say, for slightly androgynous guys....especially in situations of them being "feminized" against their will.
Like tied up in a frilly/ sexy dress, stocking and high heels and......well you can guess what would come next.

o////o
Yeah.....just talking about it....I wish someone would do it to me.

Did I just say too much.
O///////////////o

Pretty Pretty Priceless

Erandir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:20 am
I think it really depends on how it's done. Rather like mpreg. It can be terrible, unrealistic, out of character and just all around terrible. But it can also be good.

If a male character gets turned into a female by some magic spell or curse or something in a world where that stuff doesn't exist (like the real world), then it's just stupid. In that case it is a cop out. That author, most likely, just didn't want to write gay, but wanted to write the couple anyway. And that just doesn't make sense to me.

But in a world where that sort of thing is possible, and if the fic is written well and the character doesn't suddenly start acting girly the moment they've got boobs (unless they were girly from the start), then it could be pretty good.

As for cross dressing/gender bending, I think that also depends on the situation and characters. I think the character has to have been androgynous and somewhat feminine from the start or it would be out of character for them to cross dress (unless they're like Josak from KKM). I mean, unless it's a crack fic, but that's a whole other ball game.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:59 pm
I personally think anyone who crossdresses is cool, after all, just imagine Sesshoumaru in a female yukata? Damn if that wouldn't fool most people, and those of you who've read the manga, look at his mom!

I swear, they could be twins!! eek

Anyway, I love crossdressing and personally think that it adds flair to any and all pairings and fandoms. As they say, it's not the color of the dress that counts. It's how you wear it! heart  

OokamiValkire

3,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

eartianwerewolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
ok ok... I love a lot of guy anime character ALOT. So turning them into girls isn't really my thing. I mean they are guys and I love them as they are. If it is supposed to be used as humor, this dramatic gender change, then I laugh my head off. But I can't take a dude turning into a chick seriously when the guy doesn't want it. Now maybe if the guy loved someone enough and made himself into a gir----MY IDEA! BACK AWAY!------sorry, ok i just thought of that. But I hate pics where guys are made into girls *cough, Kurama, cough*
Anyway, cross dressing is cool if it makes sense. I love how Fruits Basket incorporates it. Yuki and Ayame are soooooooo pretty! heart And it canz be hilarious! Also,it makes sense for some characters . Also very good when they go in cognito.
I gave my opinions on Mpreg in another forum.

I just like the guys as guys. But since there are so many few awesome female characters I understand the urge 3nodding  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff