Separation of Church and State Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:24 am
In my College writing class we are doing our next essay on a problem. We have to identify the problem, and come up with ways of Fixing it. My group chose to do Separation of Church and state, and I wanted to see what you guys have to say about this.

Wikipedia
Separation of church and state is a political and legal doctrine that government and religious institutions are to be kept separate and independent from each other.

I've been looking up articles on this all day right now. (Which is only... 22 Minutes of looking.) Anyways, I have found some rather interesting stuff. A lot of people think children shouldn't be allowed to pray in school. For the time being (I think) children are allowed to pray in school.

What are you opinions though? How far should we put the boundries between the church and the state? When does it take away our right to freedom of speech, and our freedom of religion?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:44 pm
I don't see why kids shouldn't be allowed to pray in school, I do it all the time. I don't get why kids shouldn't be allowed to express their religious beliefs. Heck, I talk to my Atheist friend about Christianity all the time in our school library; I even had a debate on the subject in my Mi'kmaq Studies class. I guess my school being located in Canada has something to do with it.

Honestly, I think American children, teenagers and other students deserve to have their own freedom of religion, and should be allowed to express their beliefs in school just like I have the freedom to do.  

Romjacks

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm
There has never been an issue with students praying in school. The people who have said there is either are misinformed, or are simply making things up.

The problem was with teacher (or administration) led prayer. A student, or even a teacher, is free to pray in school. A teacher simply is not allowed to lead students in a prayer at school.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm
The problem isn't Children Praying in school. They don't want teachers or faculty to make Children pray in school. That's the real problem.

The reason Children SHOULDN'T prayer in school is, well, it's class time. That's all there is to it. If you can find time to pray when the teacher is not busy, then by all means. But don't put your pen and paper down to do so, please.

I don't understand the Separation of Church and State argument simply because I always thought it was clear cut. No Government instituted religion, no government sponsored religious holidays, Governments will always all religions to be practiced unless their is a contradiction with other civil liberties. I thought this was all very clear cut but both sides seem to think it goes to the favor of the other. The religious ones make wild accusations of their faith being under attack (because it sometimes is thanks to extremists) while the non religious claim the same thing (again, extremists).

Meanwhile, it is in the majority balanced within the center, where it is so easy to look past and right at the other side.

Really, it never was an issue until people started claiming that it was.  

Matt Pniewski

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:20 pm
There has never been an issue with students praying in school. The people who have said there is either are misinformed, or are simply making things up.

The problem was with teacher (or administration) led prayer. A student, or even a teacher, is free to pray in school. A teacher simply is not allowed to lead students in a prayer at school.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:21 pm

zz1000zz
Crew

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:22 pm
zz1000zz

Of course, we do have the occasional "Religious Group Gets Kicked off Campus" thing that gets blown out of proportion and is seen as a national attack on religion and not just one stupid thing happening.....  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:24 pm
I have no idea how that got posted three times. I am confused.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Priestley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:51 pm
I don't see seperation of church and state as a problem.

Jesus said, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's".

This was said with reference to taxes. However, by setting it within the framework of Jesus' comments about the current system of things and its passing away, one adds a spiritual dimension to a wise but seemingly flat statement.

What do you mean "identify the problem"? Are you needing to find examples where church infringes upon state and vice versa?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:58 pm
Priestley

This was said with reference to taxes. However, by setting it within the framework of Jesus' comments about the current system of things and its passing away, one adds a spiritual dimension to a wise but seemingly flat statement.

What do you mean "identify the problem"? Are you needing to find examples where church infringes upon state and vice versa?

Well the problem is pretty much where did we get this idea (No ones said this, but the constitution does not mention this separation.), Where are the boundries? When does it become a problem? stuff like that.  

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

Priestley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:13 pm
Paranormal Zombiiie
Priestley

Well the problem is pretty much where did we get this idea (No ones said this, but the constitution does not mention this separation.), Where are the boundries? When does it become a problem? stuff like that.

I'm no American but I believe the seperation is declared here:
First Amendment to the United States Constitution
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . .

It is based on two principles: secularity of government and exercising religious freedom. That is, government should not be influenced by any religion and government should not impose on a person's religious rights. The former could lead to the latter and vice versa. Ultimately the motive is stable governance.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:42 pm
Priestley
Paranormal Zombiiie
Priestley

I'm no American but I believe the seperation is declared here:
First Amendment to the United States Constitution
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . .

It is based on two principles: secularity of government and exercising religious freedom. That is, government should not be influenced by any religion and government should not impose on a person's religious rights. The former could lead to the latter and vice versa. Ultimately the motive is stable governance.

Thats not the seperation of church and state, just the establishment of a state religion.

What we are tlaking about is, teachers are not allowed to show favor to one religion. The 10 commandments where forced to be taken out of a courthouse. Things like that.  

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:08 pm
The Establishment Clause is the separation of church and state.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:24 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly

I almost said that there wasn't a legal document regarding the separation of church and state until I found out about the Establishment Clause as I was checking some stuff out.  

Romjacks

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:30 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly

My bad, lol. smile

But when did they decide that meant things like schools.
I mean the government has been around for 200+ years, only in the last 50 really have people made a whole deal out of this.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff