Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Fats and your hair. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:09 pm
So, I'd noticed a lot of hair shedding since I went over to a vegan diet, (this is a while ago) but since I started really trying to loose weight, I noticed a LOT more hair falling out. What my doctor told me was that I wasn't getting enough fats in my diet because I pretty much stopped eating them entirely.

(Still didn't help me loose weight because I was pretty much THE original carb queen after that)

What she told me to do (after trying to get me to eat cheese and eggs again) was take flax oil at the very least, and start eating more avocados as well. And then suggested fish oil (because we all know fish are vegetables)

I haven't noticed much difference yet, but I just wanted to point out to everyone the bit about shedding more and more, fats are good for us... we just have to keep them in moderation. ._.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:48 pm
I've started taking Fish Oil and Vitamin E recently, I swear it helps.
I also use a bit of olive oil in cooking from time to time,
nuts are also a gooder for fats.  

Groovy Spleen
Crew

Soi Tsuba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:31 pm
groovy spleen hit the nail on the head

Since you are vegan, have you heard of a beauty store called lush? All their products are hand made, chemical free. And a good percent are vegan friendly~!

Maybe they have something to strengthen your hair?

sorry, can you tell I heart lush? lol sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:35 am
yes, i have a wonderful fish patch in my garden, almost ready for harvesting mrgreen

i try to eat some nuts and i will have a little marg on my toast (not sure if thats vegan friendly?)  

Iconised Ghost

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:15 am
Lush is great if you're in Canada. If you're in the US, try Dermalogica, Garden Botanika, Bath & Body Works, The Body Shop, and (my favorite, for its low cost) Eucerin products. In or out of the US, try Arbonne.

Dietary fixes for this issue:
Nuts are high in fat, so try getting a few nuts into your diet. Try one of the Healthy Oils (olive, canola, sunflower, safflower, or flax) -- in fact, get at least two teaspoons of one of these oils every day. Add avocados to your diet.

And get a doctor who knows what "vegan" means and is committed to helping you live as a healthy vegan, rather than one who thinks you need to resume eating animal products if that's not something you want to do.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:40 am
No matter how I educate, she's not very supportive. All I needed to hear was "you need more fats" and I got it taken care of. I just hope there's never a worse problem out there that I have to try and make her understand.

Also, what's she going to say when I'm skinny and come to her with problems... she certainly can't say it's because I'm fat anymore.  

Lady Schist

Soi Tsuba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:22 am
Divash
Lush is great if you're in Canada. If you're in the US, try Dermalogica, Garden Botanika, Bath & Body Works, The Body Shop, and (my favorite, for its low cost) Eucerin products. In or out of the US, try Arbonne.

Nuts are high in fat, so try getting a few nuts into your diet. Try one of the Healthy Oils (olive, canola, sunflower, safflower, or flax) -- in fact, get at least two teaspoons of one of these oils every day. Add avocados to your diet.

And get a doctor who knows what "vegan" means and is committed to helping you live as a healthy vegan, rather than one who thinks you need to resume eating animal products if that's not something you want to do.

lush is in the u.s. I live in texas of all places and it's here.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:42 pm
Flax, Safflower... there are plenty of omega rich vegetable oils you can get. And yes, you're right, fats are good, in moderation.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:13 am
Soi Tsuba
Divash

lush is in the u.s. I live in texas of all places and it's here.

I live in New Zealand of all places and its here mrgreen no really it is. Or maybe a company with the same name. is "lush" kinda green and yellow?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:56 am
Huh, no kidding? I live in a major metropolitan area in the US, travel regularly to the West Coast, the Midwest, the South... and I've never, ever found Lush anywhere until I went to Toronto.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Soi Tsuba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:28 pm
it's only popular in high class malls.. at least in texas.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:30 pm
yeah here its on the main street in town, so im guessing its pretty high class  

Iconised Ghost

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:12 am
If by 'high class' you mean 'consumer hell' then yes it's in the big mall in my town. Lush doesn't have enough of an underground appeal to make it in a small mall, also the friends I have that work there always talk about sales quotas and other things.

I have forever found that my hair likes chemicals. It's sad, but it's true. I love lush products, but they make my hair brittle, tangly and just... gross.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:49 am
we have lush in the uk too! i have to go on a train to get there, but its worth the fare!  

random cheerleader

Bright October Skies

6,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:54 pm
I've never tried a vegan diet, because I like chicken too much. But I eat nuts all the time. So I don't believe I'll have a problem with that at all. But thanks for telling me it can be an issue. That's good to know.

If I may ask you a question, why did you choose a vegan diet?  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games