Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Vampire stories Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

chibinecochan_13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:57 pm
Sigh... I realize that this might sound a bit repetative, but I would like to talk about vampire stories. We have all heard of Twilight, but Mrs. Meyer's vampires are not the only type. Her's are non sleepers and breathers, and , well, are sparkly. While, in utter contrast, the vampires of Blue Bloods are fallen Angels. We all reconize the wide veriety. My question is: what do you think your favoret vampire story and type is?

For example:

Type- Anne Rice's Interveiw with a Vampire (In my opinion, this is where Mrs. Meyer got her insparation.)

Story- Vampire knight (A manga, yes, but I like this storyline the most)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:33 pm
I like the types of vampires in Michael Scott's The Alchemyst. Blood drinkers are considered to be at the bottom of the vampire hierarchy (sp?). So it's interesting to see vampires that feed on something else.

One of my favorite stories is Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. Dracula lives! xd  

Lunar Kissed

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:12 pm
I like the vampires from Amelia Atwater-Rhodes books. They have most of the usual vampire schtick: killed sliver or fire, can have telepathy, etc. Except daylight doesn't bother them and they can gain power by defeating/eating their own kind.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:30 am
My favorite vampire novels:

Anno Dracula by Kim Newman: What would have happened if Dracula had defeated his enemies in the original novel? Anno Dracula takes place in a late Victorian London where vampires are the aristocracy and a rejuvenated Queen Victoria has taken Dracula as her prince consort--and where Jack the Ripper preys upon vampire prostitutes.

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice: The first novel in the series and certainly the best, before the author turned the characters into parodies of themselves.

Sunglasses After Dark, In the Blood, and Paint It Black by Nancy Collins: A trilogy of novels in which Sonya Blue, a young heiress turned vampire searches for the monster who turned her into one of the undead.
Splatterpunk horror at its best.

A Dozen Black Roses by Nancy Collins: It's Sonya Blue in the World of Darkness! A treat for fans of Vampire: the Masquerade as well as those who enjoy a good horror novel.
My favorite quote: "I'm the monster the other monsters are afraid of."

godhi

Cattie-Brie14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:54 am
I like the plot line in the Blue Blood books as well, as Anne Rice's books, there a bit more than romance which is why I like them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:15 pm
I have to stick with the classics
Dracula By Bram Stoker Has got to be one of the best  

Irish Peanut

Draug Heltikana

Excitable Counselor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:40 pm
I loved the Historian -- it was beautifully written.

However, The Vampire Lestat has got to be my favorite vampire novel, though Interview With the Vampire is right behind. Lestat is my favorite literary character :'D And Anne Rice is, without a doubt, the best vampire author today ^^

Twilight = Epic fail.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 pm
The Vampire Hunter D novels are in my opinion the best vampires.  

Kateryna of Kyiv

Venus of the Crows

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:14 pm
Bram Stoker's Dracula, of course!
And Hellsing the manga. The author has NO qualms about making a ******** scary vampire.
Or have said vampire drink the blood of other vampires?
Who are also Nazis?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:03 pm
Well, they aren't the "stars" of the series, but the vampires in the Mercedes Thompson books by Patricia Briggs are my favorite so far.  

Asteras

godhi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:20 am
Venus of the Crows
Bram Stoker's Dracula, of course!
And Hellsing the manga. The author has NO qualms about making a ******** scary vampire.
Or have said vampire drink the blood of other vampires?
Who are also Nazis?

Hellsing rocks! Every time another volume of the series is released in the United States, it's like the release of a blockbuster movie for me.
Another vampire series from Japan is Vampire Princess Miyu, an OVA from the 1980's released in two volumes. Although the animation is not the best, the artwork is impressive and the storyline is absolutely amazing.
Even better, the four episodes of the OVA are the pieces of a puzzle that the viewer must put together. Who is Miyu? Why is she unharmed by sunlight or holy symbols? And what is her relationship with the heroine of the story?
The answer is both surprising--and frightening.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:23 pm
i agree with everyone one who mentioned hellsing. it's Ace with a captial A!!!

has any one read the house of night series??? they're quite good smile

Just Tsuki

Destined Savior

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:29 pm
I'm currently reading Interview with a Vampire (due to the many recommendiations) and I love it so far. heart It's an amazing piece of literature that should be read for all who love vampires or just want a good story.

I've stopped reading the House of Night series due to reading other books but it is pretty interesting.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:40 pm
Ah, Vampires. Welcome to the world of the night. Stick with the basics, I always say:

Dracula Bram Stoker

Interview with a Vampire Anne Rice

Carmilla (I don't know about the author, but the vampire is a lesbien)

The Science Behind Vampires (this isn't a STORY, but it does give great background info on how Vamps COULD EXIST in our real world.)

More modern ones:

Blue Bloods Melissa De La Cruz  

Harmonious Dischord

7,500 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Flarityxx18

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:34 am
I love the vampires in House of Night and Vampire Diaries. I liked Twilight just fine, but I like these others better.

I love that House of Night was a lot darker and not as lovey-dovey. That seriously annoys me. HoN was way more perverted than anything else, and there was definitely a better plotline. All my Twilight-lover friends even think it's better. And I love that not ALL of them are beautiful. There were nerdy vampires at the House of Night, it is possible, people.

Vampire Diaries has elements of regular vampires in it. They do burn up in the sunlight, not sparkle. But only if they don't wear this tallisman thing. Anyway, I like that aspect of it. But they still have qualities of modern vampires, and I like that kind of mix.

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff