Reply Life Issues & Fashion
The "transition." Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ThisAccountIsDeadIgnore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:32 pm
As you may or may not know, I am not currently "gothic." I do not have the clothes or anything like that.

However, it is something that I plan to become once I move out of the house and get into college. It's something that absolutely fascinates me, and I joined in hopes of learning more about it. I know it's not "we wear black and plaid all over and listen to green day," which is what everybody seems to think, but something much deeper.

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic.

Once I move out, how should I make the transition to this? Is there anything I should know? Is it okay for me to be a member of this guild even if I'm not officially "gothic?"  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:48 pm
Before I help you out here....I have some things to say. =)

Firstly: Is it okay for me to be a member of this guild even though I'm not officially "gothic?"

Answer: Yes. Of course we're cool with it. You could be a transgendered Scientologist hippy from Gautemala and it'd still be okay for you to be in the guild.

Secondly: "Gothic" isn't all about fashion. There's a whole entire Gothic music genera, as well as literary style, and tons of other things. (Although some parts of the definition do largely depend on who you talk to.) If you want to start "dressing the part" though, that's great. wink

Thirdly: Green Day isn't goth. -_-

-----

Now, to buisness! *claps hands together*

Make the transition gradual. Slowly add elements of the fashion you want to adopt into your wardrobe. Don't just wakeup oneday and dress all decked out in RomantiGoth clothes or CyberGoth clothes. Trust me, do it gradually. Generally, in the world of humans, it's not a good idea to suddenly start dressing completely different. Also, some people might not take you seriously [if you oneday appear dressed 'Goth']. But if you aren't worried about that, hey, mo power to you.

There are a lot of different Gothic fashions, find one you like or create one yourself. Have an idea of what you're looking for and then search around town and the internet for some clothes. Know you're sizes in things and be prepared to spend a lot of money if you buy from specialty stores. Also, don't be afraid to look around in "normal" shops, you know, the kind of stores you don't go to if you want to get Gothic looking clothes. Look everywhere, leave no stone unturned! razz

Be creative, and be yourself!

Lastly, if you choose/make a style that is considered "outrageous" by the mainstream population of humans, be prepared to possibly attract more stares/attention and be treated differently. Just a warning. You might be treated differently then you were before. It might be a good thing or a bad thing. Just be ready for what comes.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

NekoYasha09er

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:06 pm
*nods in agreement with wraith_lord*
It is like she says. You can't go full out in like a day because then people like she said won't take you seriously and it like an overdose. It's like exercise you start out slowly and then keep on adding on more and more as time goes on. For me when I started out. I just went to the normal shops and found things that suited my taste because I'm not all that rich to shop at specialty shops.

Find a goth style that suites you. Heck even make up your own new gothy style. It's all about how you interpret the style for yourself. When you have that idea in your head look for the things that will go with your idea. Like if you have a fascination with webs or bats go look for things that have bats and webs.

Just remember don't just shop at Hot Topic, it doesn't necessarily make you all the way goth if all you buy is Tripp from there. Well at least in my opinion. I just find HT a way to start off with some accessories and such. Then again HT just isn't in my taste. It's all up to you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:54 pm
two pence from the gerigoth at the back of the cave.....

if you are handy with a needle and thread, it pays in the long run to make your own clothes (or find a friend who is and let them get creative). Just the simple basics, nothing fancy mind you, to get you started. Later on, after you have made a couple of items that fit your personality, you can save your hard earned money for that really big ticket purchase of something nice that suits your level of darkness.

Research and information is a valuable tool. To that end, the bookstores (well, at least some of them at any rate) may carry the goth bible, the goth and lolita bible (japan...rather nice for a mag. Comes out quarterly. carries loli patterns at the back that can be easily converted to us/euro measurements), Goth chic: a connoisseur's guide to dark culture, Gothic Beauty magazine, Or any old tome that lends it's wisdom to your dark designs.

One simple excersise, I find, to help you decide how far you wish to delve into gothdom, is to spend one afternoon alone trying to go as dark as humanly (or inhumanly) possible. This will give you some idea of what you may look like fully articulated, and then you can tone it back until you reach a level that you are comfortable with. Old theater tricks are the best tricks i say.....

(remember, confidence in yourself is the trick for pulling off ANY look. It's like me and kilts, I can wear one because I am comfortable with myself and don't care what the rest of the sheep think about it. yes, that was a little joke..haha on me.)

In the end, you take what you like, and make it a part of yourself...  

Keevan Draco

AEtherclaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:59 pm
Immaculate Fantasy
I know it's not "we wear black and plaid all over and listen to green day," which is what everybody seems to think, but something much deeper.

correct, we wear black and lace all over and listen to Bauhaus.
so much deeper wink lol  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:22 pm
AEtherclaw
Immaculate Fantasy
I know it's not "we wear black and plaid all over and listen to green day," which is what everybody seems to think, but something much deeper.

so much deeper wink lol

I don't know anyone who wears plaid and listens to greenday, last I checked those of us in plaid were listening to Alice in Chains.

So you know, unless I missed a meeting or something...  

Rellik San
Crew

NewAgeAntique

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:20 pm
My advice is if you weren't prepared to take the scorn of your parents at home for dressing Goth, college isn't going to be the miracle place you're think of for starting a new lifestyle. You're teachers, employers, and other people will still judge you, and sometimes very harshly with drastic consiquences, If you're prepared to deal with that then by all means go right ahead.

As everyone else said, go slow. The reason for this is you want to be comfortable with yourself and what you are wearing. If you aren't comfortable everyone will be able to tell and people will be more likely to try and take you down because you are vurnerable. Dressing entirely differently suddenly will not feel natural to you, so I would start one article or accesory at a time. Try accentuating your clothing with darker jewlery and boots. Then add a corset or change your hair and wear skirts, and then take the leap off into the deap end. Just remember, the more comfortable and confident you are with yourself, the more likely it is that people will take you seriously and even respect you.

A new tidbit of advice though, if you are planning this for entrance to college I would get started before you get there. You don't want to arrive and make your first impression all normal looking and then suddenly morph into an extream subculture in front of all these new people. Their first impression of you wont match their later impressions and they may get skeptical.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:27 pm
Rellik San
AEtherclaw
Immaculate Fantasy

so much deeper wink lol

I don't know anyone who wears plaid and listens to greenday, last I checked those of us in plaid were listening to Alice in Chains.

No one cares about grunge anymore talk2hand  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:11 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
AEtherclaw
Immaculate Fantasy

so much deeper wink lol

I listen to some grunge.....and not just Nirvana you know....  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:19 pm
XWraith_LordX
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
AEtherclaw
Immaculate Fantasy

so much deeper wink lol

Nirvana was the worst band in the Grunge scene anyways.  

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:15 pm
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
AEtherclaw
Immaculate Fantasy

so much deeper wink lol

If Kurt hadn't killed himself they probably wouldn't be such a big deal.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:57 pm
You're never "officially gothic"
There's not an initiation ritual or anything xd
Just do what feels natural.

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comrade

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:28 pm
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San

Exactly. He had a horrible voice and couldn't write lyrics.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:32 pm
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San

There wouldn't even be grunge if it wasn't for the Pixies!  

vincejustvince

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:57 pm
Sir Vincent
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX

There wouldn't even be grunge if it wasn't for the Pixies!
Really? I always wondered who started it.  
Life Issues & Fashion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff