Reply Fantasy Books Guild
R.A. Salvatore Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cloud the Holy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:11 pm
I'm thoroughly surprised that I didn't see a thread about R.A. Salvatore.... oh well. I love his books, and I wanted to know who else does. Talk away!!!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:21 pm
yay drow?  

heathen_scum

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:42 pm
Hm, I think someone in my English class last year likes that author. I never bothererd to try any of his books, because I've got more than enough to get as it is. Are there a couple that you prefer more than others?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:08 pm
seriously though the one barbarian with the hammer in the dark elf series is really cool
i can't for the life of me remember his name  

heathen_scum

Cloud the Holy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:55 pm
Its been awhile since I've posted... wow... Anyways, the best place to start in this is probably Homeland. It's the very first book in the series and really is one of the best. It's about Drizzt Do'Urden's birth and about the first century of his life. He is a dark elf, born in the depths of the earth, in the middle of the Underdark, in the midst of a drow city called Menzobazzaran. Unlike his family and almost every other dark elf (drow) he is very good natured. I won't say anything else, other than this is a VERY good book, and it starts off the very large Forgotten Realms series quite well. It's worth picking up, and he has written over 20 books in this series, so you will have plenty of reading to do. I've read it completely out of order, and I understood it fine, so don't fret over the order. As long as you read each book in each trilogy in the proper order, everything should fall into place quite well. He's my favorite writer, and this series is amazing. I highly reccomend it to anyone who is interested in fantasy books.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:35 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Caliburn

mylittleshadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:16 pm
I enjoy R. A. Salvatore in small doses. Drizz't is an interesting character for a few books, but after a while one expects him to change a bit--to grow up some more. Also, Salvatore has the odd habit of constantly reminding you who is good and who is evil--as in "Drizz't prepared to face his evil adversary . . ." It's charming for a while, but that wears off after a bit. And for how long can Cattie Brie remain quite so "innocent" and shocked by violence?

I do still enjoy his Jarlaxle and Artemis books though. The two make an odd and interesting pair & (so far, at least) are doing some growing and changing as time goes on. The last one of those I read was Servant of the Shard: Paths of Darkness. I think there's been at least one more since then.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:56 am
*Nods* after the paths of Darkness come the Hunter's Blades Trilogy where some aspects of the characters change somewhat.
Without wanting to spoil too much, let's just say that Drizzt experiences hopelessness, orcs discover civilisation (on the fringes at least), and Elminster (only referred to in the book)loses a record he'd held to a smaller mage. razz  

Caliburn

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:33 pm
How much change?

I kind've liked Drizz't in the first few books I read, but he does seem to spend an awful lot of time moping. Just for once, can't he enjoy the sunshine & the breeze? And will he please just settle down with Cattie B?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:03 am
Well, let's just say that he'll be ready for a more indepth relationship at the end of the trilogy, or I'm a bearded gnome. blaugh  

Caliburn

Ese

3,950 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:01 pm
I love R.A. Salvatore. And the Drizzt books are wonderful, some of my favorite fantasy. I read most of the Drizzt books in one long stretch, so they kinda all melded together in my mind, and now I think of them as one massive book.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:43 pm
*nods* that's one way to read the series. 3nodding  

Caliburn

Ex Obscurum ut Incendia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:26 pm
Salvatore got me into fantasy with the Cleric Quintant... Cadderly is awesome, but not so much as Pikel is.... heh....
None-the-less, Salvatore's best characters are Jarlaxle and Artemis, whom he continus with in "Promise of the Witch-King."
One thing about Drizzt is he is too perfect... He's Never really lost, excluding to Oblodra, which was a withdraw not a loss... I've heard that salvatore might try to kill him off... But doubt it cause he's such a moneymaker...  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:07 pm
i don't know. i like drizzt, but in every book he almost tries not to just tell cattie-brie that he loves her. he almost does, but never says it or anything.  

thymeast22

Firebreathing Gekko

Renegade Jarlaxle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:20 pm
mylittleshadow
I enjoy R. A. Salvatore in small doses. Drizz't is an interesting character for a few books, but after a while one expects him to change a bit--to grow up some more. Also, Salvatore has the odd habit of constantly reminding you who is good and who is evil--as in "Drizz't prepared to face his evil adversary . . ." It's charming for a while, but that wears off after a bit. And for how long can Cattie Brie remain quite so "innocent" and shocked by violence?

I do still enjoy his Jarlaxle and Artemis books though. The two make an odd and interesting pair & (so far, at least) are doing some growing and changing as time goes on. The last one of those I read was Servant of the Shard: Paths of Darkness. I think there's been at least one more since then.

yes! i cant wait for the next book to come out *though it wont be untill oct. sad but its worth the wait! jarlaxle and entreri make such a crazy couple...i cant believe entreri puts up with jarlaxle's personailty...oh im rambling again.. sweatdrop

thymeast22
i don't know. i like drizzt, but in every book he almost tries not to just tell cattie-brie that he loves her. he almost does, but never says it or anything.

i know! he is such an idiot when it comes to relationships...just get it over with already! he's been struggling with his emotions towards her for like...i cant even remember how long! its getting old..if i was cattie-brie i would of already made the first move by now rolleyes  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff