Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Hypocrisies in the gothic community? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bloody Loon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:28 pm
Well, college is wonderful, and I get along with most people at my art school. Except the gothic community. I don't know why, but they seem to stick their nose up at me, acting extremely pretentious. Now, is this because I smile, and am a joking person, and there is an extreme animosity towards that, or am I just surrounded by the gothic version of preps?

For example, when I said I was a goth, at least 3 of them practically yelled at me 'no you're not!' I'm a happy person, and I consider myself a goth, does that not count? I enjoy gothic music, and I like the gothic style... and I consider myself a nice, polite person. I think a lot of the goths I talk to on the internet seem nice, polite and intelligent, but I'm wondering if you act that way in front of everyone.

I've been a goth for about 2 years, and lived somewhere where there were no other goths, so I'm wondering exactly what's wrong...

Help, discuss, flame, or otherwise, I'm just feeling kind of isolated right now.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:41 pm
Your not alone man. Alot of kids in this town are like that.They all seem to think if they wear more black than you, their automatically better than you.

Most of them are far meaner and more stuck up than any cheerleader or anyone else could be. Infact, these cheerleaders died in a car crash around here recently, and my step brother and some of the 'goth' kids around here were all laughing and going on about how they deserved it just because they were cheerleaders, and they didn't even know them. neutral  

Awesome Akwardness

Silent Manipulation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:29 pm
Yea it defiantly happens a lot to more friendlier people. My friend is very hyper and jokes a lot so most goths kind of look down on her. It's even worse because she just wears blue jeans and such so all of a sudden she is less goth by their standard. However I understand as to why it happens at times, hell sometimes I do it. But usually I do it because they are blatantly trying too hard or just are an obvious mall goth.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:06 pm
Yeah... I'm also sounding very whiny because I'm slightly depressed at the moment. (Very cloudy weather, new to college, homework piling up, classes being long, etc... wonderful isn't it?)

But yeah, I really don't know why friendly people tend to get... I dunno, excluded, from the gothic community... I really haven't had any experience with a gothic community, considering I was the only goth (and by goth, I mean non-posers... [the only other 'goths' (only 2 people) near me were convinced MCR and the like were the gothest of goth, and they were blatantly pissed off at my existence, I don't know why]) within about 10 miles.

By the by, I normally wear black t-shirts (sometimes band, sometimes not), black jeans, a pinstripe dress shirt (open), and some black slip-on boots (I'm lazy, so sue me). My hair is weird, but not dyed. (something called a devil lock, apparently)  

Bloody Loon

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:33 pm
Say that Rozz wasn't as much of a d**k as they're being. razz

Anyway, as I really haven't run into any goths in my area, I haven't gotten into this situation.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:17 pm
You've got prententious elitists in every subculture.... rolleyes

Kyouki, next time one of then yells at you and says you aren't goth, you ask them why they think they're goth and what goth is. If they can't answer it, you answer it and tell them why you're goth, (for you it's the music and fashion bit.) Just come off as knowing what you're talking about, okay?

Maybe they're acting this way because they think they're better than other people or they have this little elite group that's been together for awhile and don't want to include you for whatever stupid reason. That type of thing happened to me at one of the highschools I used to go to. There was this small group of goths that had been in their own private little isolationist elitist group for a few years, and just refused to acknowledge me and let me into their group. A few of them were nice though, but most were like the people you have at your art school.

"Looking the part" may have something to do with it too. These people might just have a "my wardrobe is more awesome than thy wardrobe" complex going on. I'm serious, this happens sometimes. (Should I explain this?)  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Sautana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:44 am
I have experienced something similar... not much goths here though but I would have to agree with Wraith on this one >,..,< >3< and 1 more thing... just because you nice and polite doesn't mean your not goth I guess some people don't know what a goth really is in my case in the country I live in don't know the difference between emo and goth... heck they don't even know what goth is!!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:06 pm
I don't have much experience with this subject but the only real way to fix it is to ignore them. Wraith's idea seems good to but if it doesn't work my plan should do the trick.
I live in an area where there aren't any goths but some baby bats i turned goth and have been teaching most things goth to them (this guild has been a huge help in doing that, thank you all!) I've teaching them a lot lately that goths come in a lot of different rappers and just because they're rapper is different then yours you shouldn't say they aren't goth.

Sayga Takaino

Laharl Part Deux

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:48 pm
People in so called "community's" especially one's centered around a subculture tend to be cold to those who are either new or not people who are in the said "community," because of the fear of poseurs. Which in this day and age of thee teeny bopper bands passing themselves as genres they aren't, it seems to them more likely you'll run into them.

I'm not saying it's right, because I think it's personally bitchface, but that's the way it is. Besides if they are mean and snobby to you there's no reason you should be friends with them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:54 pm
I don't really have this problem, because there is no goth community at my uni. There are only Ras (English version of prep, as far as I can tell). But I've learned enough to know that whenever you get two "goths" in the same room, there will be a disagreement about what "goth" is. So the best solution to me, seems to be to stop giving a s**t what you or anyone else labels themselves as. But, eh.  

Slayer Igraine

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:03 pm
I haven't had that problem.

I actually just found out recently that many people look up to me. neutral  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:10 pm
Goth Is A Way Of Life, Is A LifeStyle....Just Because You Dress In Black And Listen To "Gothic Music" Doesn't Make You Goth....To Be "Goth" Is To Have A Dark State Of Mind, But I'm Not Saying Your Not Because I Don't Know You..But Maybe They Feel Like Your Being A Poser? No Idea >_< Some People Are Just Anti-Social And So On  

VampyricOrigins

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:16 am
Goth, as a movement, has no real goals or ideals. It can't be hypocritical.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:09 pm
If you're not a pretentious elitist, you're not a real goth. talk2hand  

This Old Oscillator

AEtherclaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:27 pm
VampyricOrigins
Goth Is A Way Of Life, Is A LifeStyle....Just Because You Dress In Black And Listen To "Gothic Music" Doesn't Make You Goth....To Be "Goth" Is To Have A Dark State Of Mind, But I'm Not Saying Your Not Because I Don't Know You..But Maybe They Feel Like Your Being A Poser? No Idea >_< Some People Are Just Anti-Social And So On

no, it's really first and foremost just music, a genre of post-punk/punk with a heavy glam influence. though there can be mindsets common among fans of it and often expressed through it the only thing that makes someone a goth is being a fan of the music even if they dress like Hanna Montanan, live in a tree house, and constantly smile. but they do get extra points if there cross dressing lol  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff