Cover
  Summary
  Read a page out of the book
  Some crazy combination!
  Gold! *drools*
View Results

arugala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:57 pm
Since this is the Fantasy Books Guilds, I figure people must read. (No, really?) But how do you choose your books? Do you use recommendations or do you prefer to browse bookshelves for hours on end?

Personally I browse bookshelves primarily and I choose what kind of books I want from the title. If I like the title, I look at the cover. If I like the cover, I look in the jacket flap to see the summary. If it's a hardcover, I'll look at the sentence-long summary on the copyright page or on the back. Sometimes I'll look at the sentence long summary on hardcovers if the jacket summary is too obscure. If even that doesn't tell me enough about the book, I'll read a bit of it to see if I like the book for sure, but that rarely happens.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:43 pm
Ideally, I only use recommendations. In reality, it's more like I go into a bookstore, randomly remember a title/author that I was recommended by someone or randomly found on the internet, find the book, look at it (cover, summary, random page in the middle), and see if I like it enough to buy it. It helps if an author I like has reviewed the book, because I tend to have good luck with books like that.

I try to bring a list of books with me to the bookstore and only buy off of that list. But it complicates things when I can't find half the books on the list. XD So then I just start looking around and end up getting books I've never heard of before, or only half-remember hearing about. They tend to be super hit-or-miss.  

NightIntent
Captain

Quilue Lamia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:06 pm
I've always chosen books primarily on the front cover/first page. (I know, I know...don't judge a book by its cover..sorry, haha) Although, if the front cover is glorious, but the first page or so isn't all that amazing, Its a no go.
Also, I read pretty much everything of certain authors, and then just move out from that to books that are alike.

Honestly though, sometimes its just one of those times where none of your rules apply and you just grab the first thing that looks interesting off the shelf.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:27 pm
I usually go into a book store and browse. If a cover catches my eye I'll look for the summary on the back (or on the inside cover if it's a hardback). If I'm not sure after reading the summary I open it up to the middle and read for about a page. I figure there must be something going on in the middle of the book. If I want to know more after reading a page or two I get the book. If I open to a scene that requires a lot of background info to decide if it's interesting I flip another twenty or so pages and read another page or two.

I'm told this is an unusual method, but I've found it works for me. I've rarely had good experiences with people recomending books to me.  

ArtemisLiCa

Nimue_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:54 pm
I look for the bargains first and usually have to pass those up. I look at the back or inside flap to see if it's interesting. Also, if the cover looks too cheesy it can be a turnoff. I also read a bit at the beginning to see if it catches my interest. I also have a list of authors with me that I like but since a lot of mine are older authors I'm normally out of luck. Another reason I love flea markets.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:43 pm
I use amazon.com. Rarely to actually browse the book, but I'll browse through recommendations or user lists that people made. Basically "if you like this book you'll like this book." Then I read the summary and reviews people have written about it. I then make a list and next time I'm at the store, I'll pick up a few. Every now and then a friend of mine will recommend something and I'll pick it up. And very very rarely do I just browse a bookstore and just try to find something I've never heard of.  

Masquanade

Nimue_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:15 pm
Masquanade
I use amazon.com. Rarely to actually browse the book, but I'll browse through recommendations or user lists that people made. Basically "if you like this book you'll like this book." Then I read the summary and reviews people have written about it. I then make a list and next time I'm at the store, I'll pick up a few. Every now and then a friend of mine will recommend something and I'll pick it up. And very very rarely do I just browse a bookstore and just try to find something I've never heard of.

Amazon.com is a great site for seeing reviews and getting an idea of the rating based on content. Before GAIA I used to read a lot more wink  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:45 pm
Masquanade

Amazon is where I get almost all my recomendations. XDD  

NightIntent
Captain

chellybear10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:47 pm
I go to the library (because i read to fast for me to bother buying them) and search the shelves for fantasy books. When I find one I take it and read the inside cover summary.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:14 am
chellybear10
I go to the library (because i read to fast for me to bother buying them) and search the shelves for fantasy books. When I find one I take it and read the inside cover summary.

I used to go to the library all the time but as I've gotten older and my time is more restricted it takes me longer to read a book so I've started buying books that I might want to keep and read again or just collect. biggrin  

Nimue_of_Avalon

ANARA Airlyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:00 pm
When I go into a bookstore, and a cover catches my eye, I would read the Summary on the back of the book. And if I like the summary -I'm ashamed to admit- I read the last few pages to see if it's a happy ending redface I know it's a bad habbit, but I just can't read it if it has a sad ending.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:17 pm
ANARA Airlyn
When I go into a bookstore, and a cover catches my eye, I would read the Summary on the back of the book. And if I like the summary -I'm ashamed to admit- I read the last few pages to see if it's a happy ending redface I know it's a bad habbit, but I just can't read it if it has a sad ending.

sometimes when its really sad in my book i'll read the last sentence to remind me that i like the book sweatdrop  

chellybear10

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:40 pm
recommendation > author > title > cover > summary

If they can't get me by the summary, I don't read it. confused  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:12 am
This is how I do it:

-Recommendations from Friends
-Reading the first page of a book that seems interesting and if I like it, then I'll buy it or check it out at the library.
-Read the summary on the back (if there is one).
-I mostly like Fantasy/Action books so I usually go for those.

That's it.  

Destined Savior

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100

violeteyes77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:41 pm
chellybear10

I try to go to the library, I really do, but I am so OCD when it comes to books; when they've been abused (which all of our library's books are), I actually start to talk to them and ask them why people could ever do that to a poor book.... *cough* Yeah I'm crazy over books, but I love them.

Anyways... I normally see a title that catches my eye then read the back. The artwork on the cover doesn't matter to me as long as the book is in good shape and it sounds good. Normally I veer towards the fantasy section, though, since nothing else really catches my eye. I do have this friend, though, that ONLY looks at the cover artwork. If he likes the artwork, he thinks he'll automatically like the book (talk about judging a book by its cover, right?). What's scary about it is that the books are normally really good!  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff