View Results

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:57 pm
Feminism is the radical notion that women deserve rights...

Exactly what feminism is varies from person to person, but the general consensus I see is that feminism is a political position devoted to working for gender equality and getting rid of sexism. Since this is a girl guild, I'm curious what people's thoughts on the subject are. Do you consider yourself a feminist? Are there any feminist issues who feel especially strongly about (or that you completely disagree with)? Do you feel feminism is still needed in this day and age? Anything else you want to discuss regarding the topic?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:21 am
I definetly am a feminist, though I'm more moderate. I think sexism still exists in society, but it's less of a problem than fifty years ago. I think women are equals though, and should be treated as such.  

freelance lover

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:06 am
User Image
I've always had mixed feelings about it.
On one hand, I do agree with most of what feminism stands for, like equal treatment and getting rid of sexist ideas/points of view.
But on the other hand I fear what feminism might bring on. I think men should be men and women should be women. What I mean by that is...I think a man should still be able to look at a woman for what she is: a woman; the fairer sex.
I'm not saying feminism wants to get rid of women being women and such, but...
I notice that these days men either don't or don't have a chance to be "chivalrous" to women. A lot of the time, a woman will get angry if a guy tries to defend her or if he tries to help her. I myself have always admired that men (SOME men) want to protect their women, or a woman. Mind you, I'm not saying women are incapable of protecting themselves, I'm just talking about the general idea that a man has toward a woman.

This might not make much sense...? sweatdrop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:30 pm
I aree with Sayer of Truth. I think that gender roles and equal rights can be separated at some point. Of course, some gender roles fit into the equal rights thing, but there are some that don't, like the chivalry thing.
I mainly am for equal rights, but when it gets to that "it's postwoman or postperson." I honestly cannot stand that. A word is a word. Leave words alone. It doesn't mean that all postmen are men, it's a generalized term. I think that most feminism has helped get equal rights, but sometimes I think that some people go overboard.  

Midnight Phase

6,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200

Olania

Dapper Conversationalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:47 am
I'm not a feminist and I'll never be.

Even though I sometimes feel hurt by how men treat women on everyday basis, just the sheer vocabulary and facial expressions, I wouldn't ever like my notions to be associated with women that want men to be in fact treated worse, not women to be treated equally as men.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:28 am
I support feminism and think that it should definately still be remembered in this day and age. Even in my family , (i'm the only girl) my mom and I are the ones managing the household. I asked my mom why she wouldn't, for example, teach my brother how to cook, she told me : " I guess I'm still old fashioned, but i'll pay attention to your brother on that matter to".

I get a bit upset when people confuse feminism with fem-nazis. The definition of feminism is litrurally, wanting woman and men to have equal rights. people sometimes think that people striving for femenism want women to have more rights.  

i-- M a r i e --i

NezduQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:51 am
I'm definitely a supporter of feminism, but nowadays it has taken on the definition of emancipation, isn't it? I mean, people usually think of feminism as something negative towards males, whereas it's only about equality... Something that just bugs me..  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:42 am
NezduQ
I'm definitely a supporter of feminism, but nowadays it has taken on the definition of emancipation, isn't it? I mean, people usually think of feminism as something negative towards males, whereas it's only about equality... Something that just bugs me..

yea this all reminds me of a lecture i had, our teacher was going on about post feminism and wondered what the class thought of when the word feminism came up-these days it seemed that there are negative connotations added to it that nez has pretty much mentioned, but not only to negative towards men but to be considered feminist had negative connotations..
-in class which is completely female dominated [only 3 guys in this class] no one admitted to being feminist. im feminist in someways like i firmly believe in the equality and that a woman can do anything a man can do-and fair enough that i also believe men can do what women can -its only our own ignorance/perception that makes us believe otherwise...
but yea post feminism comes into play here too.. but i got to go so discuss later  

the immortal fire

4,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100

I want a vampire

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:25 pm
Any woman who's i.q wavers above her body temperature is a feminist

I am a feminist and thats for certain... In what ways are men "superior" to women in todays society? A women can drive a truck if not better than a man... So whats with the whole "men are superior" shemozzle  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:46 pm
User Image

The majority seems to think of the most extreme views and expressions when the feminist movement started.

In all truth both sexes are superior as well as inferior to each other depending on the context that's in review. Obviously the majority of men are naturally physically stronger than majority of women and men are not designed to bear and carry children. There are things that both sexes do better at than the other from a biological stand point because they are 'wired' differently.

The reason behind feminism is an equality along lines that are non-biological. Equal pay for equal work and all that, equal consideration for the same education and all that.

Taken from my fave chick-lit book My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson

"...Regina Matheson said you can't you can't be my real mummy because we aren't the same color."
"Did she."
"Yes. You're black, aren't you?"
"Yes."
"And I'm white aren't I?"
"Yes."
"Regina Matheson said you couldn't be my real mummy."

The above is a conversation between a five year old girl and thirty something woman that adopted her.

Like the differences between races, children are not born knowing the differences between the sexes; they are taught. A little girl will run and climb like a boy if she is allowed and a boy will play with dolls if he is allowed.

Society decides what is appropriate and inappropriate thoughts and behavior for the sexes and how they should be raised and taught.

Ladi Capri

HappyxEarthxDay-jlg4evr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:30 pm
i am not a feminist, just not a sexist. i would not be willing, for example, to stand out in -20 degree weather just to had out pamphlets to people who dont care. but unequal treat ment? domestice violence? thats just b.s.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:04 pm
i guess im a feminist but i think some girls like to be treated nicely byguys. I mean if you were on the bus and you didn't have a seat I would rather take it than have 2 stand up. I mean if someone is being nice why not just accept it?  

cherryvans

Fatgirl and Robin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:19 pm
Sayer of the Truth
User Image
I've always had mixed feelings about it.
On one hand, I do agree with most of what feminism stands for, like equal treatment and getting rid of sexist ideas/points of view.
But on the other hand I fear what feminism might bring on. I think men should be men and women should be women. What I mean by that is...I think a man should still be able to look at a woman for what she is: a woman; the fairer sex.
I'm not saying feminism wants to get rid of women being women and such, but...
I notice that these days men either don't or don't have a chance to be "chivalrous" to women. A lot of the time, a woman will get angry if a guy tries to defend her or if he tries to help her. I myself have always admired that men (SOME men) want to protect their women, or a woman. Mind you, I'm not saying women are incapable of protecting themselves, I'm just talking about the general idea that a man has toward a woman.

This might not make much sense...? sweatdrop

I agree with what you're saying.
I also think it's cute when a guy wants to protect a girl.
I don't see it as him seeing her as weak (unless he says something like he needs to protect her cause she can't protect herself -_-). I see it as him caring for her enough to actually want to help her like that.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:54 pm
I belive that even though men supossely have a stonger build that dosen't stop the possibilties for any human let alone a women. I am a feminist and danm proud of it.  

AlliBalli52

9,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Generous 100
  • Wall Street 200

writerprincess29

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:09 pm
I do consider myself a feminist, as I believe that if a man can do something and get away with it in society, a woman should be able to do the same thing and get away with it in society, and vice versa. This might spout some debates but I don't believe in abortion, although I can understand why in some cases a woman might get one. There is still sexism in society today, but it's against both males and females. A women doesn't get enough money as males do and are called "sluts" if they sleep with a certain about of people, though males aren't. On the flip side, male dancers are considered weak and to be pansies, and society generally makes fun of them. As well as a man is considered-useless, a free loader, not good enough- take your pick if he stays at home, and the woman is the main breadwinner.  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff