Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
Homosexuality is a sin. and Tattoos. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Ultimate Soul Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:13 pm
Lev 19:28 'You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I [am] the LORD.

Lev 18:22 'Men you shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It [is] an abomination.

Anything not restated in the new testament still stands. and yes "lie" meant sex back then.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:25 pm
Well I guess thats that.  

The Ultimate Soul Reaper

saki_hanajima7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:16 pm
hmm what i'm wondering is what it means by making cuttings in your flesh for the dead??  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:21 pm
Quote:
hmm what i'm wondering is what it means by making cuttings in your flesh for the dead??

hmmm many tribes cut there skin so the scars make designs much like tattoo's but back then mostly all they did was carvings of the dead, such as family members etc.  

The Ultimate Soul Reaper

saki_hanajima7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:35 pm
Quote:
Quote:

hmmm many tribes cut there skin so the scars make designs much like tattoo's but back then mostly all they did was carvings of the dead, such as family members etc.

Interesting....kind of reminds me of the "Baptism for the dead" that the LDS church participates in...  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:03 pm
Mkay, I'm really tired right now and I just finished a religion paper so I'm on Bible overload, but I'll try and tackle this as briefly as I can.

As far a tattoos... You have to consider that, in that time period that was generally a pagan practice and God wanted his people to be set apart. It's the same reason they didn't eat shellfish, wear mixed materials, or touch women when they were menstrating. I assume you do all three, so be carefull what you pick and choose out of Leviticus, Deuteronomy, and Numbers.

On the subject of tattoos, I have no problem with them as long as they are meaningful and respectful and pleasing to God. I don't see any harm in them. And what about piercings? Because if so I'm screwed- five and counting!

As far as homosexuality... well, that's a whole other can of worms and we're not going in to that now. rolleyes

freelance lover
Crew

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:37 am
Yeah. Normally I'd jump on this but ... I think this is the third post on this topic we've had in a month. My brain is tired. gonk I shall discuss later.

(but yeah, if this is the case ... I suppose God does not appreciate the cross on my leg with the butterfly wing coming out of it (representing the new life one only gets from Christ, and also my love of both butterflies and Jesus) or my ... -counts- .... 8 and counting piercings. confused )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:08 pm
Quote:
Lev 19:28 'You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I [am] the LORD.

Lev 18:22 'Men you shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It [is] an abomination.

Anything not restated in the new testament still stands. and yes "lie" meant sex back then.

Lie a can also mean lay not just fibbing, when that verse may also means sleeping with them and also committing sin together and lying about it.(adultery or sex before marriage).  

RekaG

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:49 pm
The ritual laws of the Old Testament are not applicable anymore, which explains why people are allowed to wear jeans.

Also, the Bible saying something is an "abomination" does not mean it is a sin.

This has been discussed here before.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:10 pm
Quote:
The ritual laws of the Old Testament are not applicable anymore, which explains why people are allowed to wear jeans.

Also, the Bible saying something is an "abomination" does not mean it is a sin.

This has been discussed here before.

Wrong!

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:17-19  

RekaG

xxPromarkxx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:38 pm
Quote:

The first verse referred to old pagan rituals where they would cut themselves or get tattoos to honor their gods. Nothing to do with modern tattooing. My mom has a three-quarter sleeve tattoo of the crucifixion scene. Does that mean she's going to hell?

The second verse says not to have sex with the same gender. It says nothing about homosexuality as a whole, just homosexual acts. Also, if you want to debate this further, I believe that we have a thread dedicated to that.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:00 am
I know about the the tattoo thing.

But I got a little blonde about the verse about homosexuals I confused with a oddly similar verse that is about adultery, But it is true about the word "lie" can have multiple meanings.  

RekaG

Metanoeo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:01 pm
Quote:
zz1000zz Wrote: The ritual laws of the Old Testament are not applicable anymore,

It's true that genuine Christians are not under the Law but under grace. (Rom 6:14) However, concerning those who are not Christians, they are under the law and therefore condemn by the Law. (Rom 2:12) Christians are called to uphold the law. (Rom 3:31) The beauty of the Law is that it's the reflection of God's holiness.

Quote:
zz1000zz Wrote: Also, the Bible saying something is an "abomination" does not mean it is a sin.

Define sin buddy...

Quote:
Dr. Walter C. Kaiser Jr. Wrote: Homosexuality also carried strong disapproval of Scripture. It is labelled an "abomination" (tow'ebah) five times in this chapter (vv. 22, 26, 27, 30) and in Leviticus 20:13. The root meaning of "abomination" is "to detest," "to hate," or "abhor." It is that which is hated and detested by God and is therefore degrading and offensive to the moral sense. Dr. Walter C. Kaiser Jr., Towards Old Testament Ethics, pg. 118.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:47 pm
Quote:

I'd encourage you to look up the Hebrew word and literal translation. Just to clear up this big argument. It'd be a good thing.

I do not think that tatooing is a sin... because times have change, and you need to put everything in context.  

Knatalie9

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:35 pm
Yes, people used to cut themselves out of grief way back when, which is what that first verse you quoted was talking about. God told his people to instead rend their clothing. The tattoos were also religious markings and such. Not only that, but no one knew about dirty needles and all the fun things you can get from sharing blood. Like homosexuality (which is a big bad thing due to being a small people needing more sons for the army and diseases from fecal matter), I'm pretty sure that most of these warnings were for sanitary reasons as well as setting apart a godly people.

Yes, I think that it's okay to look at the time and context of these laws. My ear is pierced. I have a tattoo. I'm planning on getting another one. I see it more as putting stained glass windows in a church than desecrating the body's temple.

Just to warn you, the guild is peppered with both liberal and conservative views, and all we can do is agree to disagree. If this thread turns into arguing, threatening or bashing, I, or one of the crew, am going to lock it. Otherwise, enjoy the discussion. xd  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff