Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
How far should our faith guide our political decisions? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:26 pm
So, I thought that, with the election coming up in a month, this would be a very interesting discussion to have. That, and this is something I've been pondering myself in trying to make my choice for who I want to vote for.

Now, as Christians, we (should) respect the sanctity of life, and uphold commandments in the Bible. As members of a much larger society that doesn't necessarily hold to the same beliefs as us, however, should we vote in the interest of the larger community? For example, McCain has pro-life ideas, and believes in abstinence-only education. Now, I don't think there's any discussion to be had over whether abortion is wrong or right (though there is debate over whether or not we should take away the choice to have an abortion in the interests and for the sake of our own beliefs), and also, the Bible advocates waiting until marriage to have sex. But should we vote for a person who will try to enforce these ideas on a country that may or may not agree with them? By the same token, Obama is pro-gay marriage. It's an ongoing debate whether homosexuality is sinful or not, but the Constitution guarantees the pursuit of happiness, so, regardless of whether or not homosexuality is a sin and whether or not we should condone it as Christians, should we vote for a person who will guarantee this Constitutional right?

There are so many issues; these are just a few. How much should we allow our beliefs as Christians to influence our political decisions?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:54 pm
Given that neither Democrat nor Republican seem to hold ALL of the Christian ideals that I would like, my personal opinion is that I'm sick of old, rich white guys running the country. They want money and oil and that's about it. Not to mention that I think Palin has officially crossed the line into absolutely batsh*t crazy. McCain and his cronies are making the 'liberals' out to be Communists (check out the ads - the backgrounds for the Democrats are red rather than blue), and there's a two-in-three chance he's not going to survive his first two years. Then we'll be stuck with a woman president who makes women pay for their own rape kits, wants to make war with Russia, and will drag out our war in the Middle East until people stop having sons to fuel it.

Whatever direction the Republican party has been pushing us in, it's obviously not good for the country. My religious beliefs have very little to do with the election, even if I DID vote. Because, as anyone who's taken 6th grade history knows, our votes don't count. The president is elected by the electoral college, who does NOT have to vote the same way as the popular vote. So, our thoughts mean nothing. But, if they did, I'd still go with Obama. We need a change in this country. A big one.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Priestley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:06 pm
You could just not vote, since I'm pretty sure neither candidate will run the country the way God wants it to be run, even if they tried their best.

Jesus operated independently of governing powers and made himself subject to them. I'm pretty sure voting was out of the question back then, but still, even if you choose who you would like to govern you, you are still subject to whomever wins. The wisest thing to do would be to choose someone who is most qualified to do the job of governing a country and its administration.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:58 pm
I don't think our faith should decide.

God, Himself, allows people the freedom to choose to follow His ways or not. Who are we to try to force that on anyone?

We can try to teach them, to guide them and to set an example with our own lives, but when it comes down to it, we have no right to choose for anyone but ourselves.

Certainly, there is a line, but as long as their not seriously harming anyone else, let people live the way they choose.

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:56 pm
You know, I'm not choosing anyone just because they claim christian or not. Have you noticed God can use sinners also. I mean, come on. I've prayed to God about it, and I am pretty sure I know who I am voting for, and I believe it is God's choice.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:50 am
Unfortunately I won't be turning 18 until april, so I won't be able to vote.
But if I could, I think that faith should be considered. We are supposed to be in the world but not of the world. Why should we go with what will make most people happier? Jesus wasn't walking around in our world to make us happy. He taught truth, and what people said and did to him [eg driving him out of cities] didn't matter to him.
And another thing about truth. Obama is an expert at saying all the right things, but when it comes down to it, will he make good on all his promises? He simply knows what Americans want to hear and says it so that people believe that he will actually do it. He's very good with words, I'll give you that. But have you noticed that he usually leaves out the all important how?? He tells us he will bring "change" (ambiguous enough do you think?) but does he say how he will do it? No. He just makes empty promises to win the popularity contest.  

saki_hanajima7

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:10 pm
But Jesus never tried FORCE anyone to follow Him. He left it that undividual's choice.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:50 am
saki_hanajima7
Unfortunately I won't be turning 18 until april, so I won't be able to vote.
But if I could, I think that faith should be considered. We are supposed to be in the world but not of the world. Why should we go with what will make most people happier? Jesus wasn't walking around in our world to make us happy. He taught truth, and what people said and did to him [eg driving him out of cities] didn't matter to him.
And another thing about truth. Obama is an expert at saying all the right things, but when it comes down to it, will he make good on all his promises? He simply knows what Americans want to hear and says it so that people believe that he will actually do it. He's very good with words, I'll give you that. But have you noticed that he usually leaves out the all important how?? He tells us he will bring "change" (ambiguous enough do you think?) but does he say how he will do it? No. He just makes empty promises to win the popularity contest.

Perhaps I'm hearing what I want to hear from him, or not hearing what I want to hear from McCain, but Obama appears to have a far better knowledge of politics and economics than McCain.

A question I'd like to add to the discussion, if I may: would you choose a Christian candidate over another candidate despite the fact that he might be less qualified to do the job?

Priestley

xxPromarkxx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:41 pm
That depends on alot. Is he a Christian? Or is he someone who says he's Christian to get more votes?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:07 am
xxPromarkxx
That depends on alot. Is he a Christian? Or is he someone who says he's Christian to get more votes?
Does it matter? Religion and Politics shouldn't mix. That's not a democracy. It's a Theocracy. Last I checked America has always been secular dispite the coicidence that the people who first came here were diff sects of Christianity but the people who actually coined America the land of the free and wrote and signed the Constitution were either Deist or Agnostic not Christian. In fact very few of them were.  

Neferet -House of Night-

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:58 am
Let's try not to argue over who is the better candidate- I don't want this to turn into a political debate. If it would make any difference, I'd vote no confidence, cuz I'm sick of choosing the lesser of two evils. But anyway ....

But that's a good question, about voting for a Christian over a non-Christian just because he was a Christian. To be honest, I don't know. As for any other candidate, don't we have somewhat of a duty to be a voice for the voiceless? To make sure the Jesus' message of love is spread? I mean .... I'm not even really sure how to phrase what I'm trying so say. I mean, if it comes to spiritual leader versus country's leader, which do you go for? And what if the person is qualified for both, as opposed to just a country's leader? What then?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:32 pm
I would choose a cantidate with more integrity over one that is more 'qualified'. This is not to say that I would base that decision on that person's religious beliefs. I have known non-christians with much more integrity that some Christians I have known.  

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

xxPromarkxx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:24 am
I'd choose whoever I thought was best for the job.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:05 pm
Dark Angel Rai
xxPromarkxx
Does it matter? Religion and Politics shouldn't mix. That's not a democracy. It's a Theocracy. Last I checked America has always been secular dispite the coicidence that the people who first came here were diff sects of Christianity but the people who actually coined America the land of the free and wrote and signed the Constitution were either Deist or Agnostic not Christian. In fact very few of them were.

What do you think the Kingdom is if not a Theocracy?  

Priestley

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:03 pm
Priestley
Dark Angel Rai
xxPromarkxx

What do you think the Kingdom is if not a Theocracy?
I don't believe in the kingdom. I'm a pagan. ^.^v.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff