Vinyl records making a comeback! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HistoryWak
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:38 am
I made a thread in another guild back in June about this possibility from an article I found and it's becoming reality!

The Best Buy near me has started selling vinyl in the store and online!

The best thing is that they are also selling new Beatles vinyl Most Beatles albums are available on vinyl!! Barnes and Noble are also selling vinyl (including Beatles new vinyl). This is great! Hell, Abbey Road is actually cheaper on vinyl that on CD!!!

Check it out:

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Artist/The-Beatles/c/67732

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=the+beatles&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

HistoryWak
Retailers giving vinyl records another spin

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/10/vinyl.records.ap/index.html

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
This spring, an employee intending to order a special CD-DVD edition of R.E.M.'s latest release "Accelerate" inadvertently entered the "LP" code instead. Soon boxes of the big, vinyl discs showed up at several stores.

Some sent them back. But a handful put them on the shelves, and 20 LPs sold the first day.

The Portland-based company, owned by The Kroger Co., realized the error might not be so bad after all. Fred Meyer is now testing vinyl sales at 60 of its stores in Oregon, Washington and Alaska. The company says, based on the response so far, it plans to roll out vinyl in July in all its stores that sell music.

Other mainstream retailers are giving vinyl a spin too. Best Buy is testing sales at some stores. And online music giant Amazon.com, which has sold vinyl for most of the 13 years it has been in business online, created a special vinyl-only section last fall.

I'm really excited about this. The article says that among the best-selling record at his shops is the album Abbey Road. I'm going to go play my record now. What do you think of this?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:00 pm
Ahh!

That's really awesome.  

practicallyzen

Liebe Thelema

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:36 pm
HistoryWak
Hell, Abbey Road is actually cheaper on vinyl that on CD!!!

Yeah, for some reason Abbey Road is really cheap, but have you seen the prices on other albums!? "Love" is $97!! Most are between $40 and $70! I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous! No way am I paying that! It's cheaper to get them from stores that just sell records, or from... flea markets. That's where I got mine.
But, I guess you couldn't get Love or the Anthologies, because those weren't released on vinyl until now, right? Also, all the ones Best Buy and Barnes and Noble are selling are new, and there wouldn't be anything new at a flea market or second hand shop. But really, I don't really mind that. I guess I'm not a hardcore collector of vinyl, I just think it's fun to have a couple.
Anything over $20 is too much for a record, in my opinon.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:32 pm
There is a shop near where I live that sells new LPs, and vintage ones from a lot of different bands.
But on the subject of the Beatles, my mom has a two of the originals which is pretty cool. I just need to find an LP player, preferably an old one. I think my grandparents have one, but I obviously can't take that one.  

Lily The Thirteenth

Mintahy
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:09 am

I'm just assuming that they are very expensive right now because a very limited quantity is being made! Don't worry guys, they will go down as things start to pick up! 3nodding

I saw Viva La Vida by Coldplay (amazing album by the way!) at Best Buy for $20. I would have bought it, but I already had it on CD. sad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:15 am
New Beatles vinyl??? That's awesome! From what I heard, Love was an extremely limited pressing, on 2 discs.  

DogCow

7,600 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Gaian 50

practicallyzen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:34 pm
The HMV store by me has The White Album, Yellow Submarine and Revolver on vinyl. White Album is about $50, and the other two are around $30. (That's Canadian, though I'm sure it doesn't make much difference).

I probably won't be buying any of them unless someone gives me a gift certificate for HMV or something...because I'd have to wait until I visited home to listen to them, due to the fact that I have nothing to play them on in my apartment.

Still, it's cool to see them.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:56 am
So Static
The HMV store by me has The White Album, Yellow Submarine and Revolver on vinyl. White Album is about $50, and the other two are around $30. (That's Canadian, though I'm sure it doesn't make much difference).

I probably won't be buying any of them unless someone gives me a gift certificate for HMV or something...because I'd have to wait until I visited home to listen to them, due to the fact that I have nothing to play them on in my apartment.

Still, it's cool to see them.

That's what I'm waiting for. xD My birthday is at the end of January and I'm going to use some of the birthday money for records (the place I like to go is 2hrs away so I only get there a couple times a year in which place I'd like to get my money's worth. I usually spend $50 total each time I go. I have a lot more on my list so I might go higher (depends on the prices on the albums. I think I bought one $20 album last time too if I'm not mistaking. I'm hoping I'll see what I'm looking for costing less than $20 each..)  

HistoryWak
Captain

practicallyzen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:05 pm
Well, I got rather a lot of birthday money this year - since apparently nobody knows what to get me, so they give me money, not that I'm complaining! - and I went out and bought the White Album on vinyl. Now I have to use the rest to buy something to play it on.

I'm really glad I bought it, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:49 am
So Static
Well, I got rather a lot of birthday money this year - since apparently nobody knows what to get me, so they give me money, not that I'm complaining! - and I went out and bought the White Album on vinyl. Now I have to use the rest to buy something to play it on.

I'm really glad I bought it, though.

Nice. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? I've been trying to find one in better condition than the one I have (and also with the photos/poster) and I'm curious how much it might go for.  

HistoryWak
Captain

practicallyzen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:52 pm
I think it was $51.99 (Canadian) plus tax...it had a sticker on it saying it was imported. So maybe that was their excuse for making it really expensive. But it's brand new, with the poster and all, so yeah.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:29 pm
Yesss, I bought a turntable today. Aside from just playing records, it can also hook up to my computer and transfer music from the record onto my computer. Which is pretty cool, since back at my house we have quite a few records that I can never find CDs or mp3s of.

At the moment, since my stereo isn't in my apartment yet, it's hooked up to my TV and I'm listening to Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits on it (which I bought with an HMV gift card I got yesterday as a birthday present...I knew SOMEONE would get me one, yay)...White Album is next! It sounds great. I'm pretty excited about it. heart  

practicallyzen

HistoryWak
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:46 pm
So Static
Yesss, I bought a turntable today. Aside from just playing records, it can also hook up to my computer and transfer music from the record onto my computer. Which is pretty cool, since back at my house we have quite a few records that I can never find CDs or mp3s of.

At the moment, since my stereo isn't in my apartment yet, it's hooked up to my TV and I'm listening to Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits on it (which I bought with an HMV gift card I got yesterday as a birthday present...I knew SOMEONE would get me one, yay)...White Album is next! It sounds great. I'm pretty excited about it. heart

That's awesome! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:05 pm
Not only do I have 2 turntables, but I have every single British Beatles album on vinyl. It just sounds better  

izzib1202

[Your Worst Nightmare]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:09 pm
So Static

My dad owns one like that! He dug up his old record player and records several months ago, but the turntable didn't work all that well so he bought a new one.

I'm glad that vinyl records are coming back. I find something about them amazingly cool. *_* I got ACDC's latest album, Black Ice, for Christmas as a vinyl record. I'm not sure where it was bought, however...

The Beatles

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff