Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:24 am
User Image

Helpful Links

These are just some interesting websites websites that I've found, I encourage everyone to use them.

Dictionary- X

Thesaurus- X

Rhyming- X

Character/setting generator- X

Writerisms and other sins- X

Apostrophe Protection Society- X

Common grammar, usage, and style errors- X

English Language Paradoxes- X

Fantasy Demographics- X

How to write with style- X

Fantasy Worldbuilding Questions- X

Charctor/setting generator - X

Mary Sue Test - X

How to Write Dialogue - X

One Word Writing Prompt - X

I'll be taking suggestions of more websites to put up here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:14 am
Anybody looking to create a detailed world can find a comprehensive list of quesitons to ask yourself. It's hefty but worth it.

http://www.sfwa.org/writing/worldbuilding1.htm  

eclecticbabe288

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:53 pm
Thanks for that! I'll put it on the list!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:13 pm
Seventh Sanctum has lots of generators, albeit of dubious usefulness.

The Mary Sue test  

Nemora

Jeering Codger

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:47 pm
Thanks for that, that Mary Sue test is brutal... Apparently I have somewhat of a Sue on my hands at the moment. Crap. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:35 pm
Wow, that is a brutal test. The main character of the novel I have on the back burner at the moment only ranked an 18, which was a relief. The main character an acquaintance of mine is writing his novel about, however, came in at an exceedingly craptacular 154, and that was based only on those aspects he actually discussed with me. I left the rest blank. Still, gonk .

And, he's about my age. So, don't let yourself feel too badly about whatever score your character gets on that test. After all, it can't have been a 154, and is therefore entirely fixable. biggrin  

Lhuv-Kerapht

4,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:33 pm
My character came in with about a 30, so it is pretty far from 154, but still in the danger zone. I actually modified her a bit, so now I think it was closer to 20. The only problem I'm having now, is that I feel as though I've taken all the zing out of the lemonade (bad analogies, I've a knack for them).

It'll come though, it always does. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:46 pm
These are awesome links! Thank you smile I guess I will have to test my characters on the Mary Sue test...  

marda elliot

wolfs shepard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:52 am
Thanks for those. I'll have to put my characters from my book into that test...Hope it scores well *fingers crossed*

Aaaaand...I got a less than desirable score...but then again, a lot of questions just skirted around my whole main character...so yeah, but tweaking is in order. I'll return when the deed is done.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:05 pm
You guys have to remember not to take that test so seriously though, Mary Sues and Gary Stu's are altogether subjective character types, and you really should mainly use your own judgment. Just want to put that out there, because these kind of things are not completely reliable, just a bit of good fun.  

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

wolfs shepard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:48 am
Yes, I know, but admittedly. My charcter does need some tweaking, not a lot though. Still a work in progress, changes happen.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:28 pm
Goodness. That Mary-Sue test really brings you crashing back down to reality. Fortunately, my character didn't get that bad of a score. Though I'm still going to tweak some areas in my plot. My story's not even finished - so plenty of space to improve and spice up ^^  

IvyStarling

The-Writer-Is-In

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:25 pm
Sue test gave my most Sue-like character a 65. I didn't even know some of those things were Sue-ish! And I don't see why viewing your characters as tools is a good thing, but you get to subtract points for it!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:57 pm
I've got a link for you, it's pretty nifty.
They give you a one word prompt and one minute to write about it.
It's open ended and quite intense. I'd suggest that you all give it a shot.
The only downside is that there is only one topic per day, these things get addicting!
http://oneword.com/  

Gold Milan

Writing Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas