Submit

Thoughts?
  This is affecting me or someone I know.
  There's little or no impact on me.
  Not sure.
View Results

trampyre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:32 pm
So, big shock in the news recently: apparently here in North America, we're in the midst of what could be a huge financial crisis (the next depression?). Oil prices are crazy. Everything's going crazy in the market. I'm starting to think it's another sign of the apocalypse.

Then, there's the issue of the impending elections on both sides of the border. There's a lot at stake in both.

I hope and pray that no one here is seriously impacted, but if so, my heart goes out to you. I know what it's like to be poor. But I couldn't imagine losing my home. I've been hearing horror stories (already) about people losing EVERYTHING. Their homes. Their credit. Everything. I hope it's not that bad for anyone here, I really do.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:48 pm
sad

I'm worried this will turn into a huge economic depression for the world.

I don't know that much about it.

Can someone reassure me?

Will Los Angeles be okay?  

Henneth Annun
Captain

AEtherclaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:05 pm
XWraith_LordX
sad

i'm kind of hoping it will, with any luck the entire economy will collapse and capitalism as we know it will die.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:56 pm
I know it's rather difficult right now to find a decent job, at the moment. I'm in that boat, and scrambling to find something, anything, to help keep my family afloat.

As far as the economy is concerned, it's nothing truly new. This has happenned in the past, and will continue to happen in the future. The real crisis right now, is retraining our minds to live truly within our means, and not to live by the fallacy of "credit" that the banks would like you to believe.

simple rule of thumb, if you don't have it (cash), then don't spend it like you do now (credit). now is not the time to buy luxuries, but just the necessities to live by. economies fluctuate all over the globe, but if you stick to just the basics (food, water, shelter) without all the extra "toys" we are used to buying, then you may actually survive this crisis.  

Keevan Draco

Nikki the Juggalette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:26 pm
It's pretty bad here but not super bad once your used to it. However, there are no jobs especially for teens. Everywhere we work they fire us before a year is up. Many of the teens have no money and people are living with their parents til they are about 25-10 when they can actually get a decent job. Mininum wage is hardly enough to support yourself when many of the teens my age have atleast one kid..its nearly impossible. There are more and more houses up for sale and more and more people sleeping on park benches and the stage at our town park.

As for my family I am struggling to get a job, I had one but had to quit for personal reasons. My mom has me and my little brother to support on her own she works all day and is never home. I hate living here as our town is getting worse and people are fighting a lot more, mostly cause they are getting caught stealing simple things like food for their kids.

I'm not sure how bad it is elsewhere it's probably worse but thats the overveiw of our little town.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:30 pm
KeevanSixx
I know it's rather difficult right now to find a decent job, at the moment. I'm in that boat, and scrambling to find something, anything, to help keep my family afloat.

As far as the economy is concerned, it's nothing truly new. This has happenned in the past, and will continue to happen in the future. The real crisis right now, is retraining our minds to live truly within our means, and not to live by the fallacy of "credit" that the banks would like you to believe.

simple rule of thumb, if you don't have it (cash), then don't spend it like you do now (credit). now is not the time to buy luxuries, but just the necessities to live by. economies fluctuate all over the globe, but if you stick to just the basics (food, water, shelter) without all the extra "toys" we are used to buying, then you may actually survive this crisis.

I totally agree to this to a point. Our world today cannot survive without new tech. It's pretty ovbious computers run our world. My family does our best to make it and we have a computer and a small TV with cable. We have cell phones mostly becuase my mom works and i have to keep track of a 14 year old boy. But food is hard to get when the meat and milk prices raise with gas prices, it's hard to get my brother to school with gas prices, and seeing as we live in the country we need a car to get intown. we don't make much and we use over 100$ a month on gas a lone..tahts a lot for many in towns like ours.  

Nikki the Juggalette

AdrianaKitten

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:40 am
Screw the milk and meat! What about the soy?!! gonk
Food prices have gone up here and I'm guessing that is from the stock market plummeting. I'm not too wise on economics so I can't predict what's going to happen but it hasn't hit anyone I know yet. I don't use much gas (no car) but that's pretty expensive here ( $4.50 a gallon average). I'm wondering if lots of store/restaurant chains might start closing down...? neutral
neutral I think people are definitely worried and a particularly freaky is a story I've heard was on the radio concerning someone jumping in front of a train because of a stock crash in England hold on...found it
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/29/banker-leaps-in-front-of_n_130374.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:12 pm
AdrianaKitten
Screw the milk and meat! What about the soy?!! gonk
Food prices have gone up here and I'm guessing that is from the stock market plummeting. I'm not too wise on economics so I can't predict what's going to happen but it hasn't hit anyone I know yet. I don't use much gas (no car) but that's pretty expensive here ( $4.50 a gallon average). I'm wondering if lots of store/restaurant chains might start closing down...? neutral
neutral I think people are definitely worried and a particularly freaky is a story I've heard was on the radio concerning someone jumping in front of a train because of a stock crash in England hold on...found it
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/29/banker-leaps-in-front-of_n_130374.html

Never seen that story before thats interesting.  

Nikki the Juggalette

NokomisSnape

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:13 am
It's really bad here for me and my roommates, but we are somehow managing to hang on.

It took me 2 months to find a job after I moved out here...but now that I have one, it should get a little better...

At least I'm hoping it does...  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:58 pm
The recession is killing me. I need to find a new job but it's soo hard and I have bills to pay.  

Laharl Part Deux

L Kook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:37 pm
I think this recession is the beginning of the end of the modern world as we know it. Especially for the U.S.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:43 pm
Wow. Owning property really is coming in handy.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:47 pm
KeevanSixx
I really hope you can, I feel for you. *hugs* I know it must be very hard to support a family just as it is and especially now with all this job difficulty. sad

Anyway as for the topic, my mother has had severe financial problems my entire life so it's not too different with my family even with all this, though it has become worse since my step father can't find a job or keeps getting laid off.

I hope it doesn't get to bad for everyone else.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:50 pm
AEtherclaw
XWraith_LordX
sad

i'm kind of hoping it will, with any luck the entire economy will collapse and capitalism as we know it will die.

Then let's hope we're prepared for whatever economic system rises afterwards, if that's the case.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:27 pm
It seem's like America is bringing hell upon itself....and I'm not just talking about the financial crisis. -_-  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff