Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)
[Books][Of Mice and Men] Is it just me...? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am I crazy?
  *Nod*
  ZOMG! I totally agree!
View Results

Count Chocolat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:35 pm
Alright, I have to read 'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck in my Honors English class. And during the whole thing, my yaoi radar was whirring like crazy. Is it just me, or could there be a possibility at yaoi between George and Lennie? Or unrequitted love on Lennie's part at least, since he seems to adore George and George to care a lot about Lennie? I just kept thinking about that during our in-class discussions. Anyone agree? I guess I should state, has anyone read the book?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:07 pm
X3 I must say watching the movie was infinitely more exciting than reading the novel; for me at least. (I also had to read it for an Honors Lit class last year) There were hints here and there in the movie that kept me awing until the end. 'Course I like to relate every thing I read/watch to yaoi/slash. So it may very well be my obsession biasing my opinion. sweatdrop  

coffeecheesecake

RoseRosa

Eloquent Rogue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:06 pm
Hmmm I haven't read "Of Mice and Men" yet but I will be doing so later in English Lit this year so I'll have to see!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:24 pm
I read it when I was in high school and it did
have some of those vibes. I think he just felt
sorry for him.  

Yesi Aviah

8,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

DarkForgoten
Fallen Angel

Beloved Rogue

26,165 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:34 am
hmmm haven't really looked at it on that level before.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:39 pm
I read that two years back in English and I thought there was an air of it, but not enough to be called Homoerotic.

Birdsong, on the other is rife with it. (A-Level English Literature book.)

The Chipmunk Scourge

palindrome88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:09 pm
Nah, I only saw it as platonic. Sad story, though.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:06 am
not that much i just thought it was sad
however my teacher kept compearing it to broke back mountain which was kinda weird stare  

ninja_xox

RoseRosa

Eloquent Rogue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:56 am
Nah, I don't think it was any love other then brotherly between George and Lennie.

George was just the only one who bothered with Lennie other then his aunt and he looked after him and because Lennie see's things in such a childish manner he admires George and puts him on a pedestal.

However maybe George/Slim...*had an idea for a fanfic of that pairing which I'll probably never write.*  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:40 pm
I thought the same thing when I had to read that. Sucks that I wasn't in an honors class. >.<  

Z-chan269

Friendly Conversationalist

8,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Megathread 100

DarkAngelLilithX

6,875 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:19 pm
RoseRosa
Nah, I don't think it was any love other then brotherly between George and Lennie.

George was just the only one who bothered with Lennie other then his aunt and he looked after him and because Lennie see's things in such a childish manner he admires George and puts him on a pedestal.

However maybe George/Slim...*had an idea for a fanfic of that pairing which I'll probably never write.*

I totally agree with you, there isn't really any type of relationship between George and Lennie except for brotherly love. And not the incest kind either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:12 pm
i agree. my yaoi radar was going off too.(or is that cause i like yaoi so uch?lolz) anyway. i just finished the book last week and am now currently watching the movie in english.  

Captain tohru honda

Sparkling Wife

14,350 Points
  • Married 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

l Chibi Seme l

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:04 pm
I'm glad other people do the same thing...I'm always putting pairings to characters.
I agree with RoseRosa...I feel it's more of a childish love that Lennie has for George...like how a child looks up to another cooler kid...? I feel it's that kind of adoration.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:11 am
I've read the novel during first semester this year. I didn't pay much attention to it since I didn't enjoy the book at all. However now that you mention it and I think of it. There may have been a childish love for George on Lennie's part.  

SungJewel

Magnetic Hunter

8,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Befriended 100

smileontheedge

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:35 am
Man, Of Mice and Men... That's probably the only book I read in school that I actually enjoyed.

When I read it then I would've never pictured Lennie and George like that because I really wasn't in the whole yaoi thing back then but maybe if I go back and reread it I'll never picture it the same again thanks to the original poster. LOL!  
[The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games