Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Official Post Your Progress Guild*~ Writers Support!

Back to Guilds

We support fellow writers by tracking and displaying word and page counts. 

Tags: Writing, Write, Poetry, Novels, Stories 

Reply Plot/Character/Genre Discussion
Plot Research Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SugarRos
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:15 pm
How much do you research when trying to beef out your plot? I ask because, as someone who has never enjoyed research of any kind, I have just discovered that I could not enjoy learning about the universe more than I am now.

It's like a new world has opened up to me that I never knew before.

Let me take a step back. I'm writing a Science Fiction that deals heavily with space travel, and my first outline and chapters were lacking the visual description I needed to make it realistic enough. My problem was that I knew absolutely nothing about space except that it looked cool in pictures and movies, and, you know, when you look up at night. sweatdrop

So one day I walk into borders for my daily 'lets-pick-another-book-up-to-fill-my-already-500+-selection,' when I immediately see a GIANT book (in caps, too! It was HUGE) entitled 'Cosmos.' I was entranced by the cover, and even more entranced by the pictures inside. So I bought it, thinking that looking over the pictures would be enough (I hate to study, always have, always will).

But it wasn't enough. I started reading the information in it, and it wasn't enough, and I needed to know more. So then I picked up a book called 'Universe', and I've been reading like crazy ever since. I'm amazed at how interested I am in it, and my detail is so much better because I actually kind of know what I'm talking about.

So this, after my extensive explanation, is the question: Do you enjoy researching about the information you should know to make your book more detailed, or do you find it a chore like I have in the past? How much do you research, and how important do you find it to you story as a whole?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:15 pm
You mean th Carl Sagan Cosmos? I love that book! I loved him too *sniffles*.

I tend to accumulate useless information like some sort of fact-based lint brush. This information resurfaces as I write. Something like this:

-X book should include information on [alpha]
-I know [something] and [something else] about [alpha]
-I want to portray [alpha] as best I can
*DESK LOST UNDER PILE OF RESEARCH*
-I have accumulated additional information on [alpha] in my OneNote files. BACK TO WORK.

The whole process takes between an hour and a day, but it is frenetic and somewhat disturbing. XD

Space is fun to research. You might consider swiping Astronomy 101 textbooks from friends for more enlightening information.  

saint_savin

Nightmare1

Hallowed Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:17 pm
That really depends on what it is. If it is supernatural, I enjoy looking it up. If it is more modern or technical, I force myself through it.

I have done "accidental" research, though: researched something for fun, and ended using it in a story.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:24 am
I frigging LOVE space! Such a cool subject to read up on. I can't get enough of it, like, HNNNNNNG.

I think that sometimes I get a little too paranoid when it comes to researching. I pour over endless webpages and still end up trembling as I type in a fact for fear that I'll get it horribly wrong. I suppose my perfectionism can help when it comes to editing, but I can never seem to let go and write without stopping every two seconds to ponder over a sentence that could be worded better.

...I think I got off-topic.  

Nayamashii Fujoshi

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:16 pm
Hmmm researching for plot has always been of interest to me, I'm always too impatient to start the damn story. I love researching mythology so I never tire of researching haha.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:07 pm
“If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.”

I actually get side tracked with research occasionally. And one thing leads to another.. and thus, my story doesn't actually get worked on, but I've gained knowledge.  

Nefas Fatum

Arlingtonn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:30 pm
Its actually very encouraging to hear you say you enjoyed that research, cause my book takes place in the late 1800's, and I know NOTHING about that time. I don't even know exactly what they wore.
I just know it was before machine guns, which is key to my story.
I've been procrastinating, but now I wish I was somewhere near a library so I could go pick something up about that time period.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:06 am
Nomeira - I find you can search better on the internet than the library. Sometimes books are vague and come up with useless facts but at least with the internet you can get a certain question answered.

As for the matter of research, I think it is extremely vital even for a fantasy novel in a made up world. You need to know climates, what kind of weather systems the world could possibly have. It's all about the verisimilatude smile

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Undesired Desire

Desirable Genius

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:52 pm
Bring on your torture, your bullets, your pains

As much as I can. Honestly, with the Raiden series I am writing (for those who read my last post somewhere else, it's the one I'm writing with my best bud) I researched everything from monumental places in Chicago to the make and bullets of the guns he was using, to basic witchcraft for the female character. It's a strange story, but open to a wide audience for maximum impact. But I am constantly googling something or other for the plot, even though I've been at it for a while now. I still don't have the plot down, I go with the flow for the more part.

And in my heart, things aren't the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:58 pm
DesertRoseFallen
Nomeira - I find you can search better on the internet than the library. Sometimes books are vague and come up with useless facts but at least with the internet you can get a certain question answered.

As for the matter of research, I think it is extremely vital even for a fantasy novel in a made up world. You need to know climates, what kind of weather systems the world could possibly have. It's all about the verisimilatude smile

I know what you mean about the internet verses books, but I don't even know where to start and there are sooo many links, it starts to overwhelm me. In fact, that's one of the reasons I've put off researching for so long. Besides, when I'm on the internet, I have better things to do XD.
I would like a book that could just keep me focused and on track.
And geez, EVERYTHING needs freaking research. Kind of starts to drive me nuts cause I feel like I can't actually start writing til I know this or that.  

Arlingtonn

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:23 am
Nomeira
DesertRoseFallen

I know what you mean about the internet verses books, but I don't even know where to start and there are sooo many links, it starts to overwhelm me. In fact, that's one of the reasons I've put off researching for so long. Besides, when I'm on the internet, I have better things to do XD.
I would like a book that could just keep me focused and on track.
And geez, EVERYTHING needs freaking research. Kind of starts to drive me nuts cause I feel like I can't actually start writing til I know this or that.

I use my beloved Google. I used to hate researching but it's become so addictive for me, especially when I write a mythology fiction. Really, I love finding out new things smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:56 am
I am probably the laziest writer in the world. I hate researching. Actually, that's not true. I love researching, but I'm just usually too impatient to start on whatever story it is I'm supposed to be researching. >_>

It's silly though, because currently I'm in a university with a fantastic library. I should make the most of it and research some of the topics I want most to learn about. The problem is that during term time, when I have the resources, I don't have the time - and when I have the time I don't have the resources. I'd much prefer book research than the internet, simply because it feels more academic. xd

Does anybody else have this problem?  

Psychotic Maniacal Sanity
Crew

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:16 pm
I love researching and I guess my impatience has wilted a little...just a little. The library is fantastic, ours is four storey's with a basement full of magazine, articles and archives. I sit in there picking up books all the time, and definitely learn more from books smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 pm
What's sad is I've been at this university in Chapel Hill for almost a year now and I've still not investigated the special archives that they have. I need to do that before I leave. sweatdrop

I'm taking a class on Greek and Roman myth right now, though, so I don't need to research - I'm basically being spoonfed resources! It's amazing. heart  

Psychotic Maniacal Sanity
Crew

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:08 am
I'm always in my University library now. Recently I have an obsession with dystopia's and J.G.Ballard. Also having a lot of assignments in Literature, it's just a bonus learning about their techniques.

Research is a key thing for me. Again, my partner being a writer has its ups and downs. He is primarily Literary, high-flying fiction only. He doesn't believe in research and gets frustrated when I plan for days and weeks. So, I just start and the project is abandoned. Then I explained in simple terms: How can you write about a place you've never been too efficiently? How can you write a series on mythology without researching myths?

Plot/Character/Genre Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff