Nine Inch Nails, gothic or not?
  Very gothic
  Somewhat gothic
  Not really gothic
  Not really gothic but I still like them
View Results

_Built_to_Offend_666

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:13 pm
Do you consider NIN to be a gothic band?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:35 pm
You know what? A LOT of people have also argued end-lessly over the fact if Marilyn Manson is goth or not. Personally I don't consider Nine Inch Nails to be gothic, but I never gave thought to whether they were or not.  

[ D i z z y ]

Dr_lecter1988
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:37 pm
I personally think it's pointless to argue over the fact if a band is "Goth", "Emo" or "Punk", Just have your tastes in music and respect others choices.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:41 pm
amen  

themagikat

Dearest Darling`

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:49 pm
Dr_lecter1988
I personally think it's pointless to argue over the fact if a band is "Goth", "Emo" or "Punk", Just have your tastes in music and respect others choices.
3nodding Ditto  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:13 pm
I hear Head Like A Hole all the time at my fav club, but it's not a goth band. Most of the stuff played at goth clubs isn't. A LOT of EBM and Darkwave recently. Industrial has always been a big part of the scene, but I hear real goth like Bauhaus maybe five or six times all night.  

Piergrin

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:34 am
NIN? Absolutely, well and truly non-gothic. No-way no-how no-chance, just no.

And, while in theory I agree with the non-labelling argument, it is very hard to tell if you like a band without someone giving you a vague idea (if correctly done). Such as "what is The Sex Pistols like?" first reaction is, punky no? If that was you have just been guilty of laballing, but the person asking the question will know that they can expect swearing, anarchy, shouting and lots of guitars.

Whereas if you give another band as an example it just doesn't work, take Muse, they have been (more than they should have been) compared to Radiohead when they just sound nothing alike and it is only because these bands are like nothing else (Muse splice frantic drumming, amazing guitar solos and Rachmaniov).

*shrugs* well, just given my two cents....oh, wait...not Amarican....I don't have any cents! Where did I get those from?! gonk here did they just materialise into my trousers?! There isn't somekind of weird pervet going around dropping foriegn currency into people's pockets lurking around is there?! *attacks something in the shadows*  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:20 pm
Dr_lecter1988

I think the same way, and whole-heartedly agree. I was just wondering what the majority thought about NIN in terms of gothicity. Their lyrics alot of the time tend to lean in a gothic direction ("My world is getting smaller everyday, and thats okay"; "I hurt myself to se if I still feel pain"; "I wish for something real in this world full of you"; etc) but the band has never provided a real gothic-like approach. Thats why I was wondering if the majority thought of them as goth or not.  

_Built_to_Offend_666

Southern Belles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:23 pm
I like NIN but i think there indertustrial. not gothic but it doesnt really matter.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:36 pm
I couldn't care less if they are goth or not. I still have to go see them tomorrow. Have to, not get to. I'm supposed to be going with a girlfriend. She had an extra ticket and I felt bad that it would be going to waste otherwise. Bah. Oh well, free concert.

Goth or not, no opinion either way. Just like with Mr Manson. Looks pretty goth, but doesn't sound like it.  

Schwarzkatze

selene2311

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:22 am
Dr_lecter1988

I completely agree with you
Labels on people is just stupid.
I hate it when I walk by people in the halls, and they whisper 'goth'.
I mean..if you're going to label the person, then at least get to know who they really are.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:24 am
ya of coarse. i was just wondering wat the majority considered them as (as I've already said). I've heard people say their lyrics made them seem like supergoths but I never felt that way myself.  

_Built_to_Offend_666

Zlik

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:01 am
moz2311
Dr_lecter1988

I mean..if you're going to label the person, then at least get to know who they really are.

I completely agree  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:19 pm
Zlik
moz2311
Dr_lecter1988

I completely agree
I agree aswell  

AngelAmy

IraMorti

Demonic Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:40 pm
I as well think its pointless, heck i find it pointless waste of time to just wonder about it, really if you must call it something, call it alternative, which seems to be the category where a lot of music falls under nowadays, bringing up the question why in the heck is it even called alternative when a majority of the music listened to (excluding country, since it has nothing to do with the topic at hand) falls under it? I mean, come on, doesnt that defeat the purpose of it being called "alternative?"  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff