Submit

Ever not want a series to end?
  Heck, yes!
  I'm glad when they're over.
  I love GOLD! What was the question?
View Results

Minerva the Bookwyrm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:54 pm
Did you ever not like the way a fantasy series ended? eek Or were you ever simply devasted to see it end and wanted more? crying Here, post the name of the series you'd extend, and how YOU would write the next book in it! razz

(Wow! I've been in this guild for several months under various usernames and even though I post often in other threads, this is the first new topic I've ever created in this guild. I feel special! I'm throwing myself a party! dramallama )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:00 am
Okay, I'll start! xd I'd have there be another Harry Potter because I adore the series so much!

I'd LOVE to see a series about the Marauders', Lily's, and Severus' generation! heart However, a "Harry Potter 8" book would centre around Harry due to the title and what we've seen in the series so far. Voldemort is Harry's nemesis, so it would be difficult to write a book about Harry with Voldie gone, but...I have an idea!!! idea

Book 8 - Harry Potter and the League of Paragons

Voldemort, like Hitler, was obsessed with a "pure master race," so he tried to breed the perfect specimens. Tom Riddle, being an attractive man, and believing everyone around him as being weaker and easily manipulated, would have noticed the advantages of being good-looking. As a result, his perfect followers would have to be especially atractive so they could easily persuade even more people to be loyal to the Dark Lord's cause. He would have Veelas breed with his top Death Eaters, or perhaps just have one exceptional Death Eater empregnate several different Veelas, to ensure they would have superiour beauty.

(I suspect Voldemort considered sexual lust as "common," and therefore beneath him. He lusted for power, not another body, and would have any desire to sleep with the Veelas hmself.)

Also, Voldemort would certainly have the babies injected with potions after their birth to enhance their physical and mental capabilities. In the Hogwarts textbooks, Hermione never mentions serums that can improve magical capability, but Voldemort could have had his top potion makers, such as Severus, design some to give the specimens.

Even though he didn't contribute to their genetics himself, Voldemort still ordered their creation, and would thusly expect the specimens to view him as their father. In Voldemort's mind, the "children" would be so grateful to him for bringing them life and giving them better powers than any other creature on Earth that they would be even more loyal than any of his Death Eaters. Good children obey their fathers, don't they?

The Dark Lord would want the creations to be loyal to him and only him, not even have fidelity for each other, ergo he would have them raised separately. One of each would live with a different Death Eater, though not the Death Eater that fathered them because Voldemort would not want to risk them developing a parental attachment for someone that was not himself. Again, Voldemort demonstrates underestimating the power of love, and that people do not to be blood related to become family. The children would be taught in the arts of magic by private tutors rather than attend school because their existence must remain secret until the Dark Lord is ready to reveal them.

As seen in the cave with Dumbledore, Voldemort didn't consider underaged wizards worthwhile, ergo he would have the message magically ingrained into his children to come to a location to meet him on their seventeenth birthdays once they were worthwhile adults.

Voldemort began this endeavour in 1980, meaning that the children were born in 1981 a few months before Harry became The Boy Who Lived and Voldemort was defeated the first time.

In spite of the fact that their lord had fallen, the Death Eaters were fearful of neglecting to raise his "children," so they kept them confined to the designated home and tutored them in magic and the greatness of Voldemort, who had given them life.

One surrogate parent, however, failed to tell the child how amazing Voldemort was. This surrogate parent arranged for the child to be with a tutor/nanny of Dumbledore's choosing whenever he was away at work. This surrogate parent taught the child to resent being "an experiment" designed by a selfishly ambitious man. This surrogate parent was, of course, Severus Snape.

When the children turned seventeen and instinctively went to the place where they were to meet their creator, Voldemort had already been destroyed by Harry Potter (for the final time) almost a year previously. This hardly mattered, though, since now the children had finally met each other, met others as unique in abilities as they were themselves, met the rest of the people the infamous He Who Must Not Be Named designed as perfect. They felt an instant connection and - with teaching of power-hungry Death Eaters harped upon them from babyhood - recognised that by joining together they would be unstoppable. They elected to refer to themselves as the League of Paragons. (A paragon is a model of perfection or excellence.)

One of the seven (Naturally, Voldemort would have wanted seven children, considering it the most magical number.) was not interested in joining this syndicate. Snape's surrogate child went to warn the great Harry Potter that had brought down Voldemort so many times, assuming that Harry would surely also be able to deafeat Voldemort's "children."

Now, Harry must work alongside someone raised by Severus Snape, a person that Harry hated for so long and recently came to admire. After all, only one of the seven experiments realises what the other experiments are capable of, so Harry will need the guidance. Harry reforms the Order of the Phoenix with all of our favourite characters (Hermione, Ron, Luna, Neville, etcetera) to go against the League of Paragons.
~

Yes, that's definitely what I'd do if I was writing Harry Potter eight! cool That was a fun idea to come up with! razz JKR says Neville married Hannah Abbott from Hufflepuff, so I'd make her have a lerger role in the eight novel.

I love the idea of Severus raising a daughter (Due to how he treats Narcissa, and how he isn't as hard on Hermione as Harry and Neville, he seems to soften slightly - very slightly - around women...women that aren't evil Bellatrix. xd ). However, I'd probably make the one good child a boy so that he could wind up with Luna. The loon needs love heart because she's one of my fave characters! I'd rather have Harry with Luna, but JKR's epilogue means Harry has to marry Ginny. sad I could make Snape's surrogate child a girl and still have her with Luna...Yeah, why not? Luna strikes me as being bisexual. 3nodding Their relationship could just be implied the way the Dumbledore/Grindelwald and Sirius/Remus is. The girls could simply hug before or after a dangerous battle, no need to kiss or anything. Luna isn't a public displayer of affection anyway.

Minerva the Bookwyrm

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 pm
At two books, it's not much of a series, but I didn't want the Decoy Princess series by Dawn Cook to be over. Sooo many questions still left unanswered at the end of the second book! D: I ranted about it a bit (and listed some of the questions I have) in the Dawn Cook thread here, so I own't go into it again.

'Though I have no idea what the story of another book would be. I don't do spies and court intrigue well at all, so I'm not even going to try.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:38 pm
I know what you mean about unanswered questions. The Guardians of Time by Marianne Curley is a great trilogy, but it didn't have any sense of closure. A character died and the book simply...stopped. It didn't "end;" it "stopped." I'd definitely continue that series so there would be some closure. There'd need to be a new villian...Dartimus and Lorian both had a child. Why couldn't Lathenia, who took many lovers, have had one too? Her offspring would be the evil character. It's a bit cliche to have the dead villian's child continue the legacy of evil, but it's only fair since both of her brothers had children. Also, I'd have Ethan stop grieving over Rochelle's death because their relationship was ridiculous anyway; they barely knew each other.  

Minerva the Bookwyrm

felicity_mills

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:10 am
heart My short story Startravellers. I finish it just ahs the war for freedom started. Then I started writing a book called the children of the stars which starts after the war when Trinity and Senshi are now the sole rulers of the new world. I need to write about the war years in the middle many questions are left unanswered. but i don't know how to write bout war. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:18 am
Minerva the Bookwyrm
I know what you mean about unanswered questions. The Guardians of Time by Marianne Curley is a great trilogy, but it didn't have any sense of closure. A character died and the book simply...stopped. It didn't "end;" it "stopped." I'd definitely continue that series so there would be some closure. There'd need to be a new villian...Dartimus and Lorian both had a child. Why couldn't Lathenia, who took many lovers, have had one too? Her offspring would be the evil character. It's a bit cliche to have the dead villian's child continue the legacy of evil, but it's only fair since both of her brothers had children. Also, I'd have Ethan stop grieving over Rochelle's death because their relationship was ridiculous anyway; they barely knew each other.

I know what you mean. I picked up the first one from my library and liked it. I just recently got the other two from there and couldn't put them down. I don't like how it just abruptly stopped. I mean the last chapter was Rochelle dies, Marduke dies for killing her, and Ethan chased after him. I was on her site looking at the FAQS and here is what she had to say....

Is there going to be a fourth volume in the Guardians of Time Trilogy?

I think it is very important for an author to know when to end a novel. Having said that, I have had many requests for a fourth volume and I am considering the idea very carefully. While I have no plans at present, I will not discount the possibility of continuing the series in one way or another. The possibilities are endless.

So she might write another. Hopefully it'll be soon!  

Eragon-12015

13,225 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Minerva the Bookwyrm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:31 am
Ooh, that's interesting! Thanks for sharing! If Curley had just included a satisfactory epilogue she wouldn't NEED to write another book. Having said that, I enjoyed the series so much that I hope she does write more. If she continued, she'd probably be required to make a follow-up seriess, not merely a follow-up single book because making a new villian and defeating him/her would probably not fit into one novel. This isn't a problem since many trilogies are followed by yet another trilogy, such as Robin Hobb's books.

Other series I want to continue are Artemis Fowl, Eragon, and Young Wizards, but since none of these series are over yet it would be silly for me to speculate on how to continue them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:16 pm
Sometimes it's the opposite, tho, like the Wheel of Time series, I've been waiting for it to end for YEARS, and now Robert Jordon has dies so the odds of it actually happening are low.  

Angleic Shadow

Minerva the Bookwyrm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:08 pm
Jordan left lots of notes, and in them it was clear how he wanted the series to end, so another author (I forget who) that loves the series is going to use the notes to write the final Wheel of Time book.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 pm
I don't like some when they end, but some SOOOOOOOOO need to.
Guardians of Ga'Hoole, it end with a big battle in the 6th book, but the villans' chick had just hatched (they're all owls, if you didn't know. And it is fantasy, btw), so 7 and 8 were about him becoming the king of Ga'Hoole.
Yay happy ending, but then she came out with 3 books about the first king Hoole, and that was just dandy. And then came book 12.....
It was very pointless, and book 13 was so influenced by Chinese culture it was disgusting, because you could tell she was just writing for money, and not for plot.
I have stopped reading because it sucks so much.
Two words: Dragon owls.  

Venus of the Crows

Rabid Nozomi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:05 pm
Jaqueline Carey's Kushiel series. D:

Even though there's gonna be a start of a new trilogy in the same world, called Naamah's Gift, but it's generations after the first six books with a new set of characters.

The Harry Potter series made me sad when it ended.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:35 pm
Minerva the Bookwyrm
Jordan left lots of notes, and in them it was clear how he wanted the series to end, so another author (I forget who) that loves the series is going to use the notes to write the final Wheel of Time book.

Yeah, but it won't be the same  

Angleic Shadow

bluebird943

3,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:06 pm
well i luv the narnia series (we have a huge book w/ them all in there) and i was rlly sad wen it ended, but i cant think of any other way to extend it. i mean, i think it ended in a gud place but i also didnt want it 2 end. confusing? i think so  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:25 am
Minerva the Bookwyrm

I've never read these books, precisely because I didn't hear of them until around the time of Jordan's death, and I didn't want to start something that wasn't guaranteed an ending. However, I do know that the last book is due to be published next autumn and is being written by some guy called Brandon Sanderson. I've never heard of him, but apparently Jordan's wife was really impressed with his work.

Getting back to the topic, I really wasn't happy with the ending of The Tawny Man trilogy. I mean, I loved the ending, the perfect blend of emotions made me cry so bad...

SPOILER WARNING FOR TAWNY MAN. Though I think this topic makes spoiler warnings rather redundant.

But anyway, it really bothers me that if Fitz was willing to trade his life for the Fool's, why was he content to just let the Fool go home, believing he was dead. Surely Fitz would remember the agonising grief that the Fool went through the last time he believed Fitz dead.

I know, I know, you'd think I'd be happy enough with three trilogies, wouldn't you? I mean, I thought Raymond E. Feist went WAY too far with his Riftwar books. A good author should know when to stop. But still, it bothers me.

I'd love to see another book, just one book, in which Fitz comes to his senses and goes after his best friend. It could be years later - it'd be nice to see the Fool's reaction to Fitz's ageing.

If the Fool were in danger... He'd call for Fitz, right? Its what he does.
So suppose the Fool hadn't been quite as thorough as he believed in breaking their Skill link? Maybe they couldn't feel it because they both believed it was gone. You know, like a psychological thing. After all, the link had been there before the Fool touched Fitz with his Skill fingers - *snicker* Sorry, innuendo like that amuses me to no end - and the touch just strengthened it.
Maybe I'm wrong, it just seems like a good starting point for a future book...

I wonder would Hobb be much good at writing stand-alones? I doubt it, somehow.

Foolish Catalyst

Azaveil

8,050 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:07 pm
My series would have been David Eddings' the "Belgariad" and "Mallorean". Of course, the "Mallorean" set was a sequel to the "Belgariad" and "Belgarath: the Sorcerer" and "Polgara: the Sorceress" fill in historical gaps, but it still wasn't enough. I want to hear about Garion & Ce'Nedra's kids as well as Polgara's twins. Instead they created this new series which I haven't gotten a chance to read yet but doubt it will grab my undivided attention like Garion & Ce'Nedra did. The "Belgariad" was what finally made me decide to become a writer when I read the entire series over and over all throughout the summer of my fifth-grade year in school.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff