Reply The Music Artists Guild
what kind of artist are you?? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kaio-Leucitius

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:39 pm
i've been thinking. In music, artists are classified into genres that are based off of similarities in technique and feel. In visual art like paintings and sculpture, artists are classified by their goals. i learned that in both visual and music art i am very expressionist and sometimes immpressionist.

Some people tell you that they dont classify music into genres but i believe that understanding why you do what you do can only help you. so rather than seeing ourselves as punk, metal, emo, hip hop etc we should try to see ourselves in a different view.

Let's try to keep this thread alive by adding on visual artistic movements that apply to music aswell. here's my contribution.

EXPRESSIONISM: The broad term that describes emotional art, most often boldly executed and making free use of distortion and symbolic or invented color. Expressionism is the art that is used to attempt to bare ones soul.

IMPRESSIONISM: Impressionism in painting refers to a style that uses bold brush strokes to capture the escence of a subject without so much focus on detail or complicated technique. It is the artists immediate "impression" of something. So impressionism in music is often imitations of actual things. The band Pelican is somewhat impressionistic to me because their songs capture the feel of forces of nature. many impressionist musicians do not get enough credit because their music is so easy to learn and play.

I'll add on later if this thread is still alive.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:53 am
I'm definitely an expressionist - I try to set moods, tell stories with my songs - and that's definitely something you can do no matter what 'style' of music you're playing. It's all about listening to yourself, painting pictures with tone color, voicing, balance, and phrasing.

If you're a musician (or want to be) - PLEASE DO SOMETHING WITH IT! Go beyond what you see on the page, put some of yourself into it!

Even simple pieces can be gorgeous when played well!  

moosiklady

Kaio-Leucitius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:46 pm
moosiklady
I'm definitely an expressionist - I try to set moods, tell stories with my songs - and that's definitely something you can do no matter what 'style' of music you're playing. It's all about listening to yourself, painting pictures with tone color, voicing, balance, and phrasing.

If you're a musician (or want to be) - PLEASE DO SOMETHING WITH IT! Go beyond what you see on the page, put some of yourself into it!

Even simple pieces can be gorgeous when played well!

haha I did some crazy surealist music this weekend when i was all bored. was kinda crazy once i got in gear.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:42 pm
I'm not an expressionist but not quite an impressionist.
I don't really express myself in my music. Yes, I put some of my current emotions in my works, but not always.
I usually use a modern touch of heavy distorted guitars or basses, sawtoothes and squares [keyboard effects for those who didn't know], harpsicord, along with many "old style" instruments such as timpani and viola, flutes and similar.
My works are instrumental and DO NOT ENVOLVE ANY OUTSIDE EMOTIONS like love, hate or jealousy [those were for example - I almost never write scores with emotions].
The one's I DID inserted emotions in them are not quite my style and from my priority, they are almost last.
Therefore, I am not an expressionit.

Most of my scores have a speed/power/melodic metal touch so they have a lot of complicated techniques. Though some of them are Funky, Jazzy and even Classical, they all have some point of complications.
An unnamed score of mine is a classical and is at a speed of 300 BPM. It has a major work on the right hand but on the left is a little less job.
The score is written for harpsicord ONLY, and uses techniques like grace notes (For those who are interested in this score [by the way, 7/10 people said it's a classical piece {3 of them were expert}, and 8/10 said it could have got very famous if it was written back at Mozart's, Bach's or Vivaldi's time] PM me. I would love some "outside" opinion about it).
For conclusion, I'm not a very big experssionist nor an impressionist.
[wow. WTF, I sat for 15 min writing this down "-.-]  

the4thcroock

Kaio-Leucitius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:30 pm
Sounds like Realism is the closet thing to that.

Realism in art is usually judged by the difficulty and the realistic quality of the peice.In music "realism" is replaced by technical music involving complicated riffs and well thought out song patterns.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:53 pm
Kaio-Leucitius
i've been thinking. In music, artists are classified into genres that are based off of similarities in technique and feel. In visual art like paintings and sculpture, artists are classified by their goals. i learned that in both visual and music art i am very expressionist and sometimes immpressionist.

Some people tell you that they dont classify music into genres but i believe that understanding why you do what you do can only help you. so rather than seeing ourselves as punk, metal, emo, hip hop etc we should try to see ourselves in a different view.

Let's try to keep this thread alive by adding on visual artistic movements that apply to music aswell. here's my contribution.

EXPRESSIONISM: The broad term that describes emotional art, most often boldly executed and making free use of distortion and symbolic or invented color. Expressionism is the art that is used to attempt to bare ones soul.

IMPRESSIONISM: Impressionism in painting refers to a style that uses bold brush strokes to capture the escence of a subject without so much focus on detail or complicated technique. It is the artists immediate "impression" of something. So impressionism in music is often imitations of actual things. The band Pelican is somewhat impressionistic to me because their songs capture the feel of forces of nature. many impressionist musicians do not get enough credit because their music is so easy to learn and play.

Damn dude that's deep, anyways, my music is more... abstract, so i guess i'm in surrealism.

my music is mostly strange improvisation. i have some kind of detuning effect that i use for a few solos, very deep clean licks, and evil sounding distorted riffs  

trpl npl

Manic Dingo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:36 pm
Expressionist. Our music is very introspective on even grandscale topics. Like in one song, Greed, we describe the earth fighting back against pollution and rage, but tell it from the point of view of someone trying to survive.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:39 pm
Hard to say but given the definitions i'd say probably impressionist.  

Lord Beckon

Ballalholic15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:20 pm
Im a impressionist (I think hard to say) I use music and create music to express but to make a statement of myself for me and not for others.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:21 am
I think I'm an expressionist. I always put feelings and stories into the song I'm writing. But then again I'm not sure the definitions you put up with the words confused me a little. But I get what you mean anyway. I think....  

AoibhealDragonheart

Fashionable Prophet

Airborne_scout

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:44 pm
Distorted-Folk-Inde-Experimental classifies me xp  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:57 pm
I don't really know sweatdrop I'm still just figuring it out heart  

jump2020206

Sa-Sa-Spades

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:24 am
im probaly a EXPRESSIONISM  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:28 am
Kaio-Leucitius

A bit of both, actually.
I use symbolism in most of my songs, and Impressionism in others.
It's really about the mood, and style, you're going for, right?
Isn't that it, in essence?  

Touching From a Distance

zeula

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:26 am
I like the idea of impressionism, but I am an expressionist. I'm more in tune with the emotions inside my head and connecting those to everything else than what I see.  
The Music Artists Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff