Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Beginnings and Where you are now Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:17 pm
So on a blog I skim through whilst working poised this question: What was the first resource you cut your teeth on when discovering paganism (in general)

It sounded like a fun exercise. What was your first resource? What's the top one you'd recommend now? For a beginner to Paganism or Witchcraft? How about your current Path?  
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:20 pm
To be honest, I started with World Book Encyclopedia. When I was in 4th grade, my parents got me D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths, which kept me going for years to come. Nowadays I use academic journals and ancient Greek poetry and plays.  

SpudCannon

EternalHearts

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:24 pm
Honestly, the first book that got me searching the pagan path was one of the Time Life "Mysteries of the Unknown" books. One of them had a section about modern witchcraft, and it intrigued me enough to look at more books my library had. I was also a avid reader of Greek and Roman Mythology, to the point of it being obsessive in some ways. Which I believe shaped my views of the gods and eventually lead me to Olympianism.

For Olympianism and Hellenic Polytheism, I would suggest the newcomer read as many versions of the myths as they can, as well as Burkert.  
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:32 pm
Great question Nuri.

It's a bit tricky for me. On the one hand I would say my family traditions were my first sources, however, the context wasn't fully present. For that, I needed to turn to anthropologists who looked at Roma history and culture.

For a beginner looking to study generic paganism and witchcraft- I think I would still direct people to Adler or Hutton.

For my path? Well... we won't go there.  

TeaDidikai

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:56 pm
I heard a kid on the bus talking about 'real witches' and how they are called Wiccans not wicked. That sparked my intrest in witchcraft. The first thing I read about it was Teen Witch by Silver Ravanwolf. After that I just read everything I could get my hands on. I'd always had a love to the ancient Greek gods, and then I discovered there was a religion that still followed them, my first reaction was 'SWEET!'. And thus I continued to read. Latin class in high school was probably an influenceing factor.

As for a beginner into general pagansim, I'm not sure what I'd suggest. I'd have to know more about the person asking. For Hellenism. I have no idea, I don't think I've read enough xd  
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:05 pm
I can't recall the first source, i've always been a little bit of a knowledge collector.

As for both my path, and begging pagans. I would recommend "The Psychology of the Possible evolution of man"  

Ethermus Prime

patch99329

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:49 pm
I'd always liked theology, specifically pagan theology. So I just soaked up info from anywhere.

The day I actually realised I was a polytheist, I turned to...................Wikipedia. crying  
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:48 pm
Teen Witch by Silver Ravenwolf *hangs head low in shame, and bangs head against desk*

As for what I'd reccomend now? I dont know. Books were never really my strong point. Plus, my beliefs have changed alot (From Ravenwolf-ish Fluff, to Eclectic Neo-Paganism, to Seax-Wica, and then where I am now sweatdrop )  

PhantomPhoenix0

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:47 pm
My first resource was two people online that claimed to be Wiccan (I know better now). They were pretty knowledgable, and didn't gear me towards anything sucky. One even sent me a pentacle that is still in my "pagany stuff" box.

First book was Cunnigham, and the next was Starhawk. I'll still recc both, with some notes and things to look at and think about.

Best Hellenic book? I'd still start with Greek Religion, but then follow it with something practical like Kharis.

I don't count the mythology books I read as a kid (even though, while reading them, I was always thinking "well, why aren't these gods still around?") because they weren't my first resource as a pagan. Just your run of the mill Catholic (who wanted to be a monk. Not a nun. Monk were (and still are!) cool)  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:01 am
No idea what my first resource was. I was simply reading through something for class and came across a word I realized I wasn't actually sure what it meant. So I looked it up on the internet. From there my interest was piqued that there was actually a religious system out there that resonated with me and I crawled through various web pages. After that I started reading everything I could get my hands on, both at B&N and the college library... ILLing as desired.

What was that very first web page I looked at? No idea. One of the earlier ones was probably "Wicca for the Rest of Us" for back then it was a bit higher on the hit list for goggle than it is now. I still tend to recommend that particular website as compared to others out there I've seen it's still among the best. I'd sooner plop people into the works by the Higginbotham's as a starter though, esp. since their first book isn't specific to any Neopagan path (allows folks more explorative flexibility and all).  

Starlock

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:05 pm
My first source was Teen witch. From there I went to Conway and Cunningham. So when I started I was a real fluffy Bunny. Nuri, Deo, and Reagun changed that (Thank you!).

Today I am leaning towards a more Traditional Witchcraft practice and path. I don't have any books to recomened other than Penczak's Temple of witchcraft series. It emphasis personal development. Another book would be Craft of the Wild witch  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:17 am
patch99329
The day I actually realised I was a polytheist, I turned to...................Wikipedia. crying
If you are willing to check out the citations, see what is going on in the discussion page, investigate additional sources, Wikipedia is actually one of the better resources out there. Even when it doesn't have good information, it typically sets me on the path to finding good information.  

SpudCannon

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:01 am
I was raised with a healthy dose of generic paganism, so there is no real first. My parents were both neopagan lite, especially before their separation, and it never really left me. I didn't get serious about it as pursuit of a path, however, until high school, at which point I read every dreadful resource I could online. However, I learned pretty quickly that someone's badly-designed geocities "book of shadows" really did not make me feel inspired. Some of the ideas were cool, but I couldn't follow through without feeling that the whole thing was cheapened by not being connected to much of anything. Among the first books I read in a serious matter was Scott Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, and it made me pretty sure I was barking up the wrong tree.

What would I recommend as a first resource? That's a tough one, because I don't think any book I've read adequately covers an introduction to seeking a pagan path without being flufforiffic or trite. My advice would be to read mythology and folk stories first. It was only when I started looking at stories, and started examining which ones just hit me deep in the gut and why that might be the case, that I really started getting introspective.

There is no handy guidebook for my path, and I wouldn't want anyone to try and make one. I'm still learning and exploring, and I think that trying to lay down a roadmap would sort of defeat the purpose. So advice for someone wanting to hardcore syncretize the way I do (why anyone would really feel the need to do this out of the blue is beyond me, but you never know) the best advice I can give is to read anything you can get your paws on, and see where it all fits. My first suggestions? The Bible, the oldest myths of the geography or culture you're most realistically attached to, Hawking's The Universe in a Nutshell, and any philosophical text that you enjoy more than you want to chuck it across the room.  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:58 am
Honestly, I can't recall...
Long ago, I remember the mythology books in my elementary school had the coolest illustrations, and their stories seemed very gripping...
From there, my natural inclination towards the study of history, with a few helpings of inspiration brought about the rest.
I wouldn't even know where to suggest someone to begin.
Well, other than first hand sources.
want to know about the Tribes of Israel, ask a Rabi I say.
Ask an Imam about Islam...
Ask a priest is my favourite answer... but never just take any one person's word on a matter.  

Fiddlers Green

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:04 am
Nuri
It sounded like a fun exercise. What was your first resource? What's the top one you'd recommend now? For a beginner to Paganism or Witchcraft? How about your current Path?

I started with Kveldulf Gundarsson and Edred Thorsson along with the Pagan and Magic forum on ISCA bbs.

Yes, I'm old. 8P

I'm not sure what I'd recommend now. Thorsson's scholarship is overall decent, but he's not really Asatru. Gundarsson has his heart in the right place, but his books are old, and even he says bits of them are hogwash. Of course, that can be a good place to start cutting one's teeth on picking out what UPG one agrees with, but I'm not sure that's a beginner thing.

Someday, I think I'd like to write something, but it might not be publishable since I tend t do things like, oh, use Paris Hilton as an example of someone with excellent hamingja who is squandering it. 3nodding blaugh  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff