Dip it? You cheater! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:25 am
I got a tin of dip which looks very promising, only a lot of people call this method of doing this cheating. Am I a cheater now or just smart enough to use this method to get my s**t done for once?

My first batch of test models are now drying and should be dry in about 11 hours.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:30 am
I don't think it's cheating. o:

I see it as a damn good way to get stuff finished when you're either short on time or if you can't learn as well as others.

So I say you're smart to use this method. :3  

Shinobi_8745

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:09 am
Try telling that to the die-hards and the red shirts..

My first batch is dipped straight from the tin, quite messy and you will be needing some tissue to prevent extreme pooling of the stuff in nooks and crannies. Once my dad finishes his big jar of gerkins I can mix the dip with terpetin and use it more efficiently.

Though I must say, that ork does look kinda nifty now.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:27 am
Dip away I say. It actually gives you a fighting chance of finishing off those swarm type armies.  

CrackaDoom

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:38 am
Can someone tell me how dipping is better in any way, shape, or form, than priming is...?

Edit: Wait, is the priming, or an ink wash? Dipped before or after it's been painted...?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:45 am
Nonono, this kind of dipping is after priming and painting. First you prime it with spray, paint it in simple flat colours or any way you like, then you take the mini and dip it into the tin of dip. Shake off excess material, use a tissue where needed and let it dry for half a day. Instant shading and detailing, just a wee bit glossy.

Check this pdf here for an example of how they do it.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:03 am
Lt. Brookman
Nonono, this kind of dipping is after priming and painting. First you prime it with spray, paint it in simple flat colours or any way you like, then you take the mini and dip it into the tin of dip. Shake off excess material, use a tissue where needed and let it dry for half a day. Instant shading and detailing, just a wee bit glossy.

Check this pdf here for an example of how they do it.
Neat, so it's basically an ink wash. Interesting.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:12 am
Plus a layer of gloss varnish, though the company also sells special varnish sprays that takes away the gloss, something I'm looking into for most of my models. My Catachan testing model looks sweaty though, with his beefy arms and fair features. Hmmm...  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

King Kento

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:57 pm
If you trust the method and can make it work, I dont see why it matters. Honestly painting the models should be nothing more than to give your army that touch or customization that says its yours, not be another romp through rules and etiquettes as to not offend the beardies.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:42 am
Some of the prototypes, I'm going to have to thin the stuff a tad with terpetine seeing as this stuff really tends to pool around the feet and in the nooks and crannies. Other than that I am mightily pleased with the current results. Bit glossy, but I'll get the special spray for that later on this year to fix it good and proper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/Lt_brookman/DSC_5931.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/Lt_brookman/DSC_5933.jpg  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:51 pm
Neat, for your next pics, though, It'd be nice to see before and after.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:20 am
Nice, the shading that it creates is increadible. I don't really like the gloss though. As for me I still prefer to hand paint everything, at least it eats up a couple hours of my day when I'm bored.  

PyroXTech

Questionable Genius

sossos157

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:51 pm
Lt. Brookman
Some of the prototypes, I'm going to have to thin the stuff a tad with terpetine seeing as this stuff really tends to pool around the feet and in the nooks and crannies. Other than that I am mightily pleased with the current results. Bit glossy, but I'll get the special spray for that later on this year to fix it good and proper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/Lt_brookman/DSC_5931.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/Lt_brookman/DSC_5933.jpg
AAK! To shiney! It's an awesome paint job, but its just too shiney for war uses or even for just looking cool. But no offense! You are a great painter.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:09 pm
GW also has a flat matte spray that gets rid of all the shiny, and you can go over the parts you WANT shiny with 'ardcoat afterwards.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:30 pm
I'll dig for that can of GW stuff tomorrow, try it on one of the prototypes. If it works I'll be very, very happy. I'll also get pics up of second batch (no pre-dip pics sorreh), which look somewhat good.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff